Author Topic: Whats the latest re stone chip repairs  (Read 6780 times)

Online watchdog

• GTI forum regular
Whats the latest re stone chip repairs
« on: 22 February 2019, 19:05 »

GTI 7.5 only 7 weeks of age but already suffering from minor stone chips.  Been looking on the web at different remedies and Chipex looks to be popular with other posters.  The Paint code is D5G which seems to translate to Dark Iron blue but my car is Issac Blue!

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
Re: Whats the latest re stone chip repairs
« Reply #1 on: 23 February 2019, 01:06 »
That particular colour goes by different names in the various markets.  Go by the paint code, not the name.

Chipex is good, but not perfect.  It doesn't fill the stone chip, as do normal touch-up kits, but instead paints the crater so it is not as noticeable from a distance.  But get closer and you will still see lots of pock marks, but now in body colour instead of undercoat.  But for ease of use the system works well. 

Must say the paint on my 7.5 is disappointingly thin.  I already have numerous stone chips in only 8k kms.  I'd estimate the 7.5's paint is maybe one-third the thickness of the mk5 GTI's I previously had - both tornado red.
« Last Edit: 23 February 2019, 01:09 by Splashalot »
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Online watchdog

• GTI forum regular
Re: Whats the latest re stone chip repairs
« Reply #2 on: 23 February 2019, 09:17 »
That particular colour goes by different names in the various markets.  Go by the paint code, not the name.

Chipex is good, but not perfect.  It doesn't fill the stone chip, as do normal touch-up kits, but instead paints the crater so it is not as noticeable from a distance.  But get closer and you will still see lots of pock marks, but now in body colour instead of undercoat.  But for ease of use the system works well. 

Must say the paint on my 7.5 is disappointingly thin.  I already have numerous stone chips in only 8k kms.  I'd estimate the 7.5's paint is maybe one-third the thickness of the mk5 GTI's I previously had - both tornado red.

Thanks for the info, i would prefer to deal with the chips as they occur so will give the Chipex kit a try.