Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2811261 times)

Offline matthewh

• Not said much yet
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #13390 on: 06 March 2024, 15:17 »
Fitted my new headlight and "looked" at fitting my res delete, but thought the better of it. The bolts looked to corroded to be fecking about on my back... Will take it to a garage I think.

Yeah I know I'm a big baby!  :grin: :grin:

Haha know the feeling, had my fair share of trying to work with axle stands, it's a bit "cosy" for sure :grin:
Current:
2000 Rover Mini Cooper Sports Pack
2016 VW GTI Clubsport S - #250
2019 VW Caddy 2.0 TDI
2020 Mini John Cooper Works GP - #2166

Gone:
2015 Ford Fiesta ST
2010 VW Polo GTI

Offline Rudedog

• Here all the time
« Reply #13391 on: 06 March 2024, 22:17 »
Car had it's year five service + brake fluid change + MoT - service done as part of my service plan.

I extended the warranty on my car when I bought it to five years so it's about to run out at the end of the month - seems if I want to take out the all-in plan then I've got to first see if VWFS will let me pay off my current SP that ends in November as I can't have two running at the same time - has anyone done this? is it easy?

While the car was in, and conscious that I'm at the end of the warranty I asked if they could look at the slow loss of coolant - I've already had the thermostat replaced when the car was about 1 1/2 years old but I noticed that if I topped the coolant up to max it would very slowly drop to about 6-7mm below the max over about three months.  They did a pressure test but said all was ok and that there was no obvious leak and I should just monitor it - good news I hope, maybe it finds it's own level? Does the coolant always stick rigidly to the wherever you fill it to?

One thing I'm not feeling good about is that they charged me for the coolant diagnosis - does that sound right if still under warranty?  Before I've taken my car in when it had a creak coming from the front suspension and they looked at it and applied the 'magic' grease but didn't charge - why is it not the same?

One surprise was that I drove my very first EV as that's what they gave me as a courtesy car - a bloody big ID5!  way too big and definitely not my cup of tea, totally soulless.
2019 Golf GTi PP DSG, Isaac Blue.

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #13392 on: 07 March 2024, 00:10 »
Not today but a few months ago I fitted some LED D3S headlight bulbs and running them to see what they are like. They make a Huge difference, much brighter and light up the road much better than the xenon ones did. The cutoff is exactly the same as the OEM ones with no light bleed. Bit of a bugger to fit as the headlight unit needs to come off to change the headlight bulb but only about half an hour each side once you know what you are doing.

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #13393 on: 07 March 2024, 08:01 »
Hi Rudedog.
The answer to the “investigation charge” nonsense seems in my experience to be as follows:
Investigation and no subsequent action = charge
Investigation and some action taken with an outcome = no charge
I suspect it’s how the time is processed internally and whether the dealer can re-charge to VW as a job or not.
Has never felt fair to me but on the other hand the dealers probably get a lot of uninformed owners who grumble about imaginary faults which don’t exist.
I’ve no idea how other dealer makes approach this as I have run Golfs for 12 years.
PS : I’ve just had the dreaded coolant leak diagnosed and as a result the car will get a new thermostat and water pump next week fully paid by my All In plan. Cost will be £925 …..phew!
My £100 investigation charge was waived as a result despite incurring a chunk of initial workshop time to diagnose.
2019 5Dr Mk7.5 Performance DSG. Indium Grey with DCC (and TCR spoiler)

(Previously two Mk7 GTIs, Mk6 GTI and Mk6 GTD)

Offline rowlers

• I live here
  • I'm back - MK7 GTI
« Reply #13394 on: 07 March 2024, 10:36 »
Test fitted some exhaust tips. Managed to track down a company that supplies slide on tips, that will fit over the standard GTI tips, so you don't have to cut them off.
4'' on the left, 3.5'' on the right. The 3.5'' is a neater fitting, grub screw as opposed to bolt/clamp, but the 4'' fills the gap bigger! They also do a stainless one too, instead of the carbon.

Once I've confirmed they fit OK, they may start to sell/advertise.

« Last Edit: 07 March 2024, 11:27 by rowlers »

Offline matthewh

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13395 on: 07 March 2024, 11:30 »
Test fitted some exhaust tips. Managed to track down a company that supplies slide on tips, that will fit over the standard GTI tips, so you don't have to cut them off.
4'' on the left, 3.5'' on the right. The 3.5'' is a neater fitting, grub screw as opposed to bolt/clamp, but the 4'' fills the gap bigger! They also do a stainless one too, instead of the carbon.

They look great! Personally prefer the 4".
Current:
2000 Rover Mini Cooper Sports Pack
2016 VW GTI Clubsport S - #250
2019 VW Caddy 2.0 TDI
2020 Mini John Cooper Works GP - #2166

Gone:
2015 Ford Fiesta ST
2010 VW Polo GTI

Offline rowlers

• I live here
  • I'm back - MK7 GTI
« Reply #13396 on: 07 March 2024, 11:36 »

They look great! Personally prefer the 4".

Yeah going for the 4''

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #13397 on: 07 March 2024, 11:56 »
The 3inch one probably has a better personality  :cry:
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline rowlers

• I live here
  • I'm back - MK7 GTI
« Reply #13398 on: 07 March 2024, 19:12 »
The 3inch one probably has a better personality  :cry:
:grin: :grin:

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #13399 on: 07 March 2024, 19:44 »
I extended the warranty on my car when I bought it to five years so it's about to run out at the end of the month - seems if I want to take out the all-in plan then I've got to first see if VWFS will let me pay off my current SP that ends in November as I can't have two running at the same time - has anyone done this? is it easy?

I cancelled a service plan to get the all in one and VWFS couldn't have been more helpful. Dead essy.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.