Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2810108 times)

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #7940 on: 14 January 2018, 17:28 »
Tyre cushions are an options if you want to lay it up for a while they are suppose to help reduce the risk of flat spotting which In reality is rare and is blown out of all proportion.  Tyre pressures won't drop more than a couple pound max over a 4 month period. I lay my classics and the GTIs up over the winter months, have done for decades with no ill effects.
« Last Edit: 14 January 2018, 17:32 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #7941 on: 14 January 2018, 20:49 »
Tyre cushions are an options if you want to lay it up for a while they are suppose to help reduce the risk of flat spotting which In reality is rare and is blown out of all proportion.  Tyre pressures won't drop more than a couple pound max over a 4 month period. I lay my classics and the GTIs up over the winter months, have done for decades with no ill effects.

I had a problem with both the suspension and tyres years ago when I left my car in the garage while i went to the US for 3 weeks.

Granted I stayed there 10 months :whistle:
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline Vwjap

• I live here
« Reply #7942 on: 14 January 2018, 21:14 »
Filled the car up with shell premium this morning (normally use just the normal diesel), done 140 miles, noticed it coming off a full tank at about 105-110 miles when it’s normally 90-95, but won’t know for sure tf it’s any better till next fill up

Offline mkviken

• I live here
« Reply #7943 on: 14 January 2018, 21:30 »
mine moved for the first time in months tonight after putting it away for the winter. bloody missed it, such a great car to drive. fitted my 'new' wheels with michelin PS4's - a bloody tight fit but they're on... just!

its going in for its first service and handbrake update tomorrow.

might even take it for a run after before it gets washed and put away again! them gritters will be out again i bet!
Golf GTI Clubsport S #237 Tornado red
Golf GTI 7.5 230 white silver

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #7944 on: 14 January 2018, 22:51 »

I had a problem with both the suspension and tyres years ago when I left my car in the garage while i went to the US for 3 weeks.

May I ask what the problems were?
I myself haven't had issues and have regular  laid cars up for long periods.
 My mk6 was unused for nearly 10 months 2016-17 and did a total of 200 miles that year and not much different this past year sadly all due to unfortunate unforseen family and work issues. No issues with the car though. My classics regular stand for 6 months or more a time. Family members mazda 2 due to circumstances has stood on the drive unused since September till i used it today. Had it on a lift and checked over it with an mot mate, all seems mechanically fine except the airbag light is on due to the low battery.
I don't agree with some of the suggestions on the net about taking the weight off the suspension for example. Ive seen issues when cars are stored on 2 post lifts like this as the suspension wasn't design to hang and have those forces applied too it long term. Issues caused by storing cars like this I have witnessed first hand as a mate has a very large car collection.
Pumping the tyres up will reduce the risk of flat spotting but this seems more an issue on exotic sports cars probably due to very wide tyres and contact patch area. Using tyre cushions or even removing the wheels and storing them using there centres and then mounting the car on triangular metal brackets bolted to the hubs will reduce this risk.
« Last Edit: 14 January 2018, 23:36 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #7945 on: 14 January 2018, 23:27 »
mine moved for the first time in months tonight after putting it away for the winter. bloody missed it, such a great car to drive. fitted my 'new' wheels with michelin PS4's - a bloody tight fit but they're on... just!

its going in for its first service and handbrake update tomorrow.

might even take it for a run after before it gets washed and put away again! them gritters will be out again i bet!
Probably as weather report is showing snow on Tuesday and Wednesday. Don't mind snow but hate salt.
« Last Edit: 14 January 2018, 23:32 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 

Offline BobbyT

• I live here
  • Housemusic aint for everybody,only the sexy people
« Reply #7946 on: 15 January 2018, 03:09 »
Bought some tat for the R. Sill protectors and some key rings.  :rolleyes:
BW3 2018... 7.5 Oryx White R Estate, Black mirrors and rails, Dynaudio, Rear Cam, Climate Screen, 90% tints

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #7947 on: 15 January 2018, 07:33 »
Hit a massive pothole on the way home from work Friday evening, so decided to take the wheels off to inspect for damage.

Luckily, both the wheels (19" Santiago's) and the tyres (Pirelli P-Zero) show zero signs of damage (no bulging tyre wall or damage of any kind to the tyre itself - phew).

Whilst the wheels were off took the opportunity to fully clean the insides of the alloys (and wax) then paint the brake disc hubs with hammorite smooth silver as the rust was just starting to show through. Also cleaned fully the inside and difficult to reach places on all 4 painted calipers (I have the sport and sound pack so my calipers - like the GTI one's, are painted red from the factory). Also proceeded to coat all 4 calipers with Collonite wax to keep them looking their best.

Finally decided to clean the car, and it then pi55ed down all night and on my drive to work this morning there was loads of standing water and on arrival at work, the car looks like it did before I washed it yesterday  :cry: Oh well, it stayed clean for all of 15 hours  :grin:

Here's the brake hubs afterwards

« Last Edit: 15 January 2018, 13:18 by Sootchucker »
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #7948 on: 15 January 2018, 10:45 »

May I ask what the problems were?
I myself haven't had issues and have regular  laid cars up for long periods.
 My mk6 was unused for nearly 10 months 2016-17 and did a total of 200 miles that year and not much different this past year sadly all due to unfortunate unforseen family and work issues. No issues with the car though. My classics regular stand for 6 months or more a time. Family members mazda 2 due to circumstances has stood on the drive unused since September till i used it today. Had it on a lift and checked over it with an mot mate, all seems mechanically fine except the airbag light is on due to the low battery.
I don't agree with some of the suggestions on the net about taking the weight off the suspension for example. Ive seen issues when cars are stored on 2 post lifts like this as the suspension wasn't design to hang and have those forces applied too it long term. Issues caused by storing cars like this I have witnessed first hand as a mate has a very large car collection.
Pumping the tyres up will reduce the risk of flat spotting but this seems more an issue on exotic sports cars probably due to very wide tyres and contact patch area. Using tyre cushions or even removing the wheels and storing them using there centres and then mounting the car on triangular metal brackets bolted to the hubs will reduce this risk.

The problem I had was the front suspension(H&R coilovers) sized and the Goodyear F1 tyres had squared off.

I don't agree with lifting a car either with the suspension hanging. Much better to take half the weight off both the suspension and tyres.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline Jeni_R_

• Here all the time
« Reply #7949 on: 15 January 2018, 12:41 »
Fitted my new black mirror caps. For a modern car, that was the easiest job ever.

Can you give me a link for your caps ? thank u

Jen