Author Topic: MK7 and VCDS (VAG-COM) thread  (Read 788998 times)

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
Re: MK7 and VCDS (VAG-COM) thread
« Reply #750 on: 11 March 2015, 11:57 »
What exactly do I need to purchase to make these changes and how much is it going to cost?

You can get the software from here free at Ross-Tech as the license is in the cable.

Some places to get a cable are Gendan and Ilexa or sometimes can be cheaper coming from America direct from Ross-Tech but then you might be liable to import taxes etc

HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline dv52

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #751 on: 11 March 2015, 13:14 »
What exactly do I need to purchase to make these changes and how much is it going to cost?

Diehammer: To add to p3asa's response, the mk7 runs a CAN bus, so there are four types of Ross Tech cables  to choose from (in ascending Price order)
  • Micro-CAN with unlimited VIN
  • HEX-USB+CAN with unlimited VIN
  • HEX-NET (WIFI/USB) with 10 x VIN
  • HEX-NET (WIFI/USB) with unlimited VIN

the Wifi units (HEX-NET) are relatively new and the look real nifty! But they are pricey!
I suggest that you have a look at Ross-Tech's site, they have a page that exactly deals with your question (it's titled "Need help deciding what to buy?"). See link  below

http://store.ross-tech.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=RTAC&Store_Code=RS

The prices if you buy directly from Ross Tech's store are in the link below
http://store.ross-tech.com/shop/cat/VCDS.html

« Last Edit: 11 March 2015, 13:21 by dv52 »
103TSI Highline ROW (my13)

Offline kevinm

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #752 on: 11 March 2015, 16:28 »
Don, may I make a suggestion on the spreadsheet? Could you put in tick boxes for options fitted to the car. It would help people figure out coding for retrofits etc... Eg: 3dr/5dr; sunroof; xenons; led rears; FLA/DLA; Parking heater; heated screen; heated seats; footwell lights; heated windscreen washers; ACC; DCC; Kessey
Current: His: 2020 M340i   Hers: 2019 GTD

Previous:
2014 GTI PP DSG
GTI ED30 DSG

Offline Diehammer

• Here all the time
« Reply #753 on: 11 March 2015, 17:44 »
Thanks guys looking at £270 as far as I can see.
Golf GTD MK7 5 door Manual, Carbon Grey, Keyless Entry, Rear View Camera.

Ordered 26/02/15  Build Week Confirmed 24/04/15 (BW21) Stage 5a 19/05/15 Stage 5b 21/05/15 Stage 5c 29/05/15 Stage 6 02/06/15 Stage 7 04/06/15 Pick Up 06/06/15

Offline dv52

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #754 on: 11 March 2015, 22:59 »
Don, may I make a suggestion on the spreadsheet? Could you put in tick boxes for options fitted to the car. It would help people figure out coding for retrofits etc... Eg: 3dr/5dr; sunroof; xenons; led rears; FLA/DLA; Parking heater; heated screen; heated seats; footwell lights; heated windscreen washers; ACC; DCC; Kessey

Kevin, I'm always looking for ways to make the spreadsheet "more user friendly", so thanks for the suggestion. In the end, it's a compromise between keeping the data clean and extra functionality.

But I'm not quite sure that I understand your meaning - can you explain it using different words please?

Offline dv52

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #755 on: 11 March 2015, 23:27 »
Hi,

I've had my Golf GTi for around 6 months now and just bought a VCDS cable.  The forum has been a fantastic source of information on the changes possible and I've even managed to get the rain closing function working.  However, can someone help with two questions.

1. I can't find 'Battery Charge' under the drop down list of 'Adaptions' within Channel 17 (Instruments).  Any reason why this may be so and is there something I need to activate in the long code helper?

2.  In some markets the Golf has a 'Air Conditioning Settings' menu within the Car/Setup menu.  Can anyone tell me how I could activate this menu?

Thanks for your help.

Neil: Good morning and congratulations on getting the AutoRain Closing function to work. This is one of the more difficult tweaks to get working and I've had quite a few PMs on VWW from folk who couldn't do it!

I'm aware of the tweaks that you have probably also read that describe how there is an adaptation channel called "Battery Charge" in address 17 control module (Instruments). But like you, I've never been able to find it on my admap list. I also  have admaps for 8 different vehicles from four different countries and none of those have this adaptation channel as well (although doubtless some have this channel on their cars).

My totally uneducated guess (and it's only a guess) is that for those cars that have SOC (State-of-Charge) already enabled, this adaptation channel isn't accessible via VCDS. This is what happened in my car - SOC was factory enabled when my car was new.
Have you tried the procedure for showing SOC on your car?
(i.e. Ignition-off, hold-down the 0.0 button until the MFD says something like "Battery")

As for the Air-conditioning question, are you talking about the display that appears when you press the SET-UP button on the lower centre knob under the media screen? Or, are you referring to the Air conditioning consumption usage display that appears on the MFD?

If the latter, then this is enabled by pressing the CAR button, then set-up on the next screen, then press the  "Multifunction Display" panel, then tick "Convenience consumers". Once this is done, you will find the screen in the same list as the digital speed display (I think it's called "Driver Data")

Offline neil_79

• Just got here
« Reply #756 on: 12 March 2015, 20:49 »
Hi dv52 and thanks for your helpful reply.

I think the SOC tweak will just have to be left - I've tried what you've suggested and no joy.

Regarding the air conditioning, it's the display the display which appears when you're in setup and enables you to activate automatic air recirculation (once activated on VCDS) - not the a/c consumption data.  From looking on the web, it seems some markets have this activated (Taiwan for example it appears). 

Any suggestions as to how I might be activate this?

Many thanks

Offline dv52

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #757 on: 13 March 2015, 02:41 »
Hi dv52 and thanks for your helpful reply.

I think the SOC tweak will just have to be left - I've tried what you've suggested and no joy.

Regarding the air conditioning, it's the display the display which appears when you're in setup and enables you to activate automatic air recirculation (once activated on VCDS) - not the a/c consumption data.  From looking on the web, it seems some markets have this activated (Taiwan for example it appears). 

Any suggestions as to how I might be activate this?

Many thanks

Neil: OK, sorry for my misunderstanding. The auto recirculation facility is (not surprisingly) in Auto HVAC control module at address 08.  What needs to happen is that Bit4-5 in Byte 4 needs to be set to Hex10

After this is done, you need to press SET UP button (the lower middle button on the Climate Control knobs), then press the set up panel on the screen (bottom RHS) then put a tick in the Automatic air recirculation entry. Pics below explain this far better than I can!

« Last Edit: 13 March 2015, 02:42 by dv52 »

Offline BOFH

• Just got here
« Reply #758 on: 13 March 2015, 20:18 »
Guys,

I had the dealer tech look at my MK7 for my issue with headlights (when I flash to pass while the lowbeams are off, they turn on as lowbeams and the shutters don't raise to make them highbeams).

He said it's perfectly normal and working as designed; he said it's in the manual (I have yet to check that).

I was a little disappointed, however they offered to fix for free the rattle I had in my right passenger door with dynaudio at 80hz; they'll take the door apart, put some foam padding and reinforce the plastic solders. Pretty cool of them.

Meanwhile, I've got back to coding, I've made my flash-to-pass turn off my DRL and turn on my fogs too, it's more obvious that I flash now. I'll still look into raising those shutters, though :)

Offline neil_79

• Just got here
« Reply #759 on: 13 March 2015, 20:19 »
Perfect - thanks, dv52 - I never even saw the 'setup' button on the climate control before now.  Mod made and working.

Thanks again for your help.