Author Topic: Knocking noise from front end  (Read 283 times)

Offline jh_97

• GTI forum regular
Knocking noise from front end
« on: 13 May 2024, 16:39 »
Had new front brake pads fitted on Saturday and probably drove 15 miles over the weekend and all ok. On my way to work this morning however I noticed a knocking/clunking sound coming from the front of the car somewhere every time there's a bump in the road. It sounds like going over a loose manhole cover, or two muffled dinner plates knocking together. At lunch, found that the two front locking wheel nuts were a bit loose with the wrench in the toolkit, so tightened those up a bit. Knocking is still there though but I can't see anything else looking untoward. Any suggestions on stuff I could look for before I take it back to the garage? Brake calipers feel secure so could be the pins or pads themselves rattling?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: 13 May 2024, 16:43 by jh_97 »
2018 GTI PP DSG, Pure White, graphite Sevilles, Art Velours

Offline madstaff

• I live here
Re: Knocking noise from front end
« Reply #1 on: 14 May 2024, 13:21 »
VW pads or aftermarket??

Im gonna guess the pads are moving in the carrier.

Try reversing slowly and gently braking to a stop, then drive forward and brake, is the noise happening then??
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 14 May 2024, 20:25 »
Re torque ALL the wheel bolts. If it continues the caliper sliders may not have been tightened properly.

Offline jh_97

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:44 »
Thanks for the replies. They're aftermarket pads. Nothing when maneuvering, purely just over bumps. Garage said it might be the shims, but seems like it could also be pad movement or sliders. Thankfully have a slot today to get it fixed

Offline jh_97

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: Today at 15:49 »
Apparently it's nothing to do with the brakes, they reckon it's suspension related or an engine mount or something. That said, it's not happening quite as often since they checked it... Any ideas if suspension related? Haven't been over any potholes etc and just under 40k miles, so would hope it isn't suspension related

Offline jh_97

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: Today at 17:25 »
Lower ball joint perhaps after more searching on YouTube?