Author Topic: My visit to the dealership...  (Read 4682 times)

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
My visit to the dealership...
« on: 25 June 2009, 19:18 »
Had to pop into my not so local dealership to get some work on my car again (yes they c0cked it up again). Anyway the last couple of times I have been in I have kept a keen eye out for the new GTi and was constantly being told that they cant get hold of any.

So much to my suprise as I walk in today and see a brand spanking new dark grey Gti sat on 17's!! Looked stunning I have to say. So much so that i had to sit down and talk prices, esp with my car going back in Sept. So after having a quick look through their finance deals I have to say I was a tad dissapointed.

Some of the PCP deals were a total rip off and was told by the salesman that it was impossible to calculate the APR from a flat rate (or more like he didnt want to tell me it). Anyway I worked out that they were working on a APR of about 11-14% over 5yrs with a 5k deposit and monthly payments of about £400.... and the funny bit is this was calculated for the R32 on the forecourt priced at £20k!!

So I sat down with the new car salesman and he pretty much came back with the same kind of figures +£70 per month. no discount offered what so ever!! After having enough of their arsey saleman i decided to go sit in the waiting area and have a quick look to see whats on offer on the net (thanks to mr blackberry)  :wink:

Anyway I managed to find another cracking lease deal... 3+23 @ £269pm!! In short its basically almost half what VW would want and I also get to put the £4k in my back pocket. Seems like a no brainer to me and after speaking to the salesman he was gobsmacked. He said they could just about get hold of the cars never mind at that price... and would bite their arm off. So thats exactly what i did. Called them and they are sending details through to me tomorrow. I think I might be very close to placing an order... or should I wait for the R version  :undecided: decisions decisions  :sad:

Offline VWKev

• I live here
  • Please Support Non-Human Rights
Re: My visit to the dealership...
« Reply #1 on: 25 June 2009, 20:03 »
Why would you want a mk6 ? Its only a mk5.2

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 25 June 2009, 20:10 »
Although its not a fully mk6 i agree... it is alot nicer than the current Gti both inside and out imo (not the R32 of course that would just be stoooopid)  :grin:.

Also the fact that I can get it for less than the dealership would charge me to buy my own car!! Can you belive they want £17k for an R32 with 30k on the clock ragged to death everyday of its life by me  :evil:

Offline Jay

• Forum addict
  • balding fat cvnt
« Reply #3 on: 25 June 2009, 22:24 »
As you're R32 is up in Sept. and you probably won't be satisfied with the GTi's power after the R32, I'd say hang on for the R20 Rocco  :wink: OK, it's only 2 doors and 4 seats, but hey your not married with kids are you?!

Get the Rocco (if it's coming out in Sept for Oct delivery as I read) surely they'll extend the lease another month on the R32?
Passat B5.5 2.3 V5 170, with all the extras.

Want some online storage? Click here to sign up for a Dropbox account.

But for the purest engine experience, displacement has no replacement. All other methods are simply attempts to artificially recreate the benefits of displacement.

Offline VWKev

• I live here
  • Please Support Non-Human Rights
« Reply #4 on: 25 June 2009, 22:50 »
Although its not a fully mk6 i agree... it is alot nicer than the current Gti both inside and out imo (not the R32 of course that would just be stoooopid)  :grin:.

Also the fact that I can get it for less than the dealership would charge me to buy my own car!! Can you belive they want £17k for an R32 with 30k on the clock ragged to death everyday of its life by me  :evil:

I'm just yanking your chain, I love the mk6.

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 26 June 2009, 07:52 »
Im affraid although I wanted to love the rocco, it just didnt cut the mustard. Its a good car... but after coming from the R its just not enough of an allrounder to be better than the golf. I think VW has suspected this and that could well be the reason for it being cheaper than the Gti.

although the mk6 is not groundbreaking in anyway like the mk5 was.. its is still alot better imo. Ok... probably not worth the change if you already have a mk5, but for me the situation is slightly different, but for  that price who can argue!!

Offline synnea

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 26 June 2009, 12:17 »
You will miss for sure 3 things, in my opinion in this order

1 - That wonderful note of the V6
2 - The traction you get from your 4motion in the wet
3 - The extra power.

The GTI is a great car, I went to a Mk5 GTI for a while but missed the traction and V6 note so much I had to have my R back. Only thing that will make me change is a new R version with 4WD. Up to you but whatever you do you still will have a cracking car. If I had to have a GTI now I would rather have an Edition 30 than a new MK6 to be honest. For one I think the price of the MK6 is a joke especially by the time to spec it up a bit. 
R32 : DBP : Lux Pack : Winter Pack : Cruise : Leather : Parking Sensors : Rear Tints : Armrest : RNS 510 : Ipod MediaIn : FreeView Tuner : VagCom

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
« Reply #7 on: 26 June 2009, 12:20 »
After having driven one in anger ( http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=119225.0 ) as impressive as the new GTI is, I wouldn't swap my R32 for one.

Offline carl1

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 26 June 2009, 13:42 »
You will miss for sure 3 things, in my opinion in this order

1 - That wonderful note of the V6
2 - The traction you get from your 4motion in the wet
3 - The extra power.

The GTI is a great car, I went to a Mk5 GTI for a while but missed the traction and V6 note so much I had to have my R back. Only thing that will make me change is a new R version with 4WD. Up to you but whatever you do you still will have a cracking car. If I had to have a GTI now I would rather have an Edition 30 than a new MK6 to be honest. For one I think the price of the MK6 is a joke especially by the time to spec it up a bit. 

As a former owner of 2 mk5 r32's i agree with your first two points but not the 3rd
GTI manual PP, now sold  :-(

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 26 June 2009, 19:45 »
in all honesty i know that the gti will never replace the R... i absolutely LOVE this car!!! Like the idea of a new gti and im sure it will grow on me as time goes by and the memory of the R fades in to the distance.

But driving along today and seeing a MK6 golf really put things in perspective for me... I dont ever see myself going back to the MK5 (not in the near future anyway) and therefore unless VW put a V6 and some traction in the MK6 I will be moving away from VW in the future (i know i have also said that before  :grin:).

The gti will do because its a great car and i have just found out it will only cost me £259pm + vat which is a total bargain compared to a £5k deposit on a .:R and payments of £400pm over 5 yrs. but the .:R you buy with the heart not the head, and at this moment with things being so crap i just cant make that decision. :undecided: :cry:

p.s. dont mean to sound like a tw4t saying that a brand new gti will do... but i will be crying come .:R collection time.