Author Topic: LL's Mk3 1.8t Cab  (Read 434242 times)

Blazing Storm

Yeah, best of luck LazyLunatic. You should have waited a few years though. :smiley:

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
Yeah, best of luck LazyLunatic. You should have waited a few years though. :smiley:

haha yeah, but i thought f**k it  :D    defo not the logical way of doing things, but you want something, go for it. insurance is just a kick up the a$$. all the paperwork and hassle like that needs to be done, but thats just part of doing it.

cant wait to get the show on the road. once the place is ready, i can drive all the bits and the engine, etc all down to the garage, then its just a case of simply putting it in lol :rolleyes: cant wait to see how many problems that i will come across. at least now i cant drive my car, so its cool to take it off the road and leave it there. meaning i dont need to use it during the conversion.
originally the plan was to gather parts and plan the conversion, so the most part of it could be done over a weekend (fri nite to sun nite). but now there's no pressure in getting it done :)  so no need to worry about boost pipes and intercooler piping, etc as i can now do that in situ. as for the oil/coolant lines, etc and all other bits like that. should be able to take my time and get things done right, and get it as good as i can do.

thanks peeps ;)

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
Thought, i'd post an update. looks like i will towing the car down this week and moving all the stuff down there, so i can start stripping the car down. whoop whoop!

Havent done a lot in terms off working on the project tbh. done a bit on the brakes and been searching for parts and trying to learn about the 1.8t. got a bit more understanding of it now and it isnt as complicated as i first thought (once you start to figure out which part is what and which hose is which).

Here's some pics and stuff:

taking the rear beam brackets off. still cant get one of them off.

one bracket off, what a battle!

snapped a spanner trying to do it, and thats the reason you dont buy cheapy, sh!tty spanners!

I went to see how the polybush would fit in the rear beam and they are too small! and after looking it up, it turns out the polysport ones "that fit mk2/3's" dont fit mk3's. they are meant to be 56mm when they actually are 45mm. i think they may fit some mk3's, but im not too sure on which ones. so need to get the much more expensive powerflex ones! damn!
so i guess they are up for sale, if anyone wants them.

flywheel as it arrived, needs a tidy up.

lightened flywheel. cleaned it up a bit and looks good

lightened flywheel. cleaned it up a bit and looks good.

gearbox before a clean.

gearbox after a bit of a clean with degreaser.

various brakes bit off the beam.

front carriers after a clean up

front calipers before/after tidy up

front calipers and carriers painted in hammerite. did paint the other carrier, its just not in the pic.

new handbrake cables :cool:

cossie cooler

more off the cossie cooler

is this connection for the map sensor? doesnt the 1.8t have a map sensor on the cooler? not sure how it works :undecided:

looked at the fitment, think i know where it can go and the fixings on the cooler should line up with the steel armature. wil need to do a lot of cutting. need to get rid off some of the plastic on the fan housing and some of the steel needs cutting, but it should fit fine.

found a damaged pcv hose, so will need to replace it. guess i will need to take a trip to the stealers for this. if its a complete rip off, will just make my own up.

close up of the damage. its just a corroded pipe. common?

thanks for reading

LL ;)

kells

looks like good fun my man  :cool:

Offline shepgti

• I live here
great looking project LL  :wink:

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
looking funky my friend.

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
I had a set of Bonrath Golf3 rear beam inserts here.  Someone else has them at the moment, but do you want me to find out if they're surplus?
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
I had a set of Bonrath Golf3 rear beam inserts here.  Someone else has them at the moment, but do you want me to find out if they're surplus?

if you could, that would be great, thanks. PM'd ;)

Offline Vdubbster

• I live here
Good work dude

Offline Shady Pioneer

• Serious forum addict
  • graphic designer.
LL, you're an inspiration in my eyes :)