Author Topic: LL's Mk3 1.8t Cab  (Read 433054 times)

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
cheers wayned :)

im back from my hols, so thought an update should be put up.

Got gti rear beam and front calipers/carriers. need to get some 4 stud hubs now. Also been looking around for discs, pads and braided hoses; was looking at black diamond. Not sure how good their stuff is, but it aint cheap!!! a pair of G60 front discs are around £150. That is for black diamond combi's. Think GSF do standard G60 discs, they are around £60 for the pair. Not sure what differences can be seen between them and if the better discs are really worth the extra dollar.

Also got the wiring loom off the engine and started taking some bits off that i dont think i'm going to need. REALLY need to learn more about the 1.8t engine. Not 100% sure on what is what and why this goes there sort of thing. Doesnt help with the engine sat on a pallet tbh.
I just need to know what bits are and what bits are missing. Plus the hosing is more complicated than i thought lol

Anyone if the haynes manual for the mk4 golf has lots of info on the 1.8t engine, and tells what each bit is? or maybe a link that has loads of info?

Still awaiting my Forge TIP, but VR6 maf has come, just need to find the 1.8t maf and swap the sensor over to the vr6 housing, but is harder than it sounds lol!

sourced another turbo and a manifold and alternator and oil/coolant lines for the k04. all off an Audi S3. Just waiting to sort out deal/collection/etc.

Cheers :afro:

LL ;)

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
Re: LazyLunatic's MK3 ---> 1.8t Conversion/Money Pit
« Reply #371 on: 22 February 2009, 20:38 »
here ye go shady, plans:

looking at getting full respray done, talking to a few peeps i know. also might pop down to the plymouth city college and ask about. i heard that the kids there that learning bodywork will do it well cheap, like £150. guy i met out last night told me about it, as he got his bike done for less than £100.

putting on standard splitter as the vr one is scrapping and hitting stuff too much and its cracked a bit of the filler on the bumper. also going with cl lights, orange indicators (side and front), and the hellas and blanking plates will be yellow i reckon, or maybe just have orange blanking plates and keep hellas as is. dont know. just going to play about when the respray is done.

cba with bodywork, so boring and tedious. my m8 has been suspended from the bodyshop he works at, so going to ask him if he wants to do mine for some cash. he has a magic hand for filler, as he uses it everyday. better than me spending forever trying to get it right! i started and gave up!

Offline Shady Pioneer

• Serious forum addict
  • graphic designer.
« Reply #372 on: 22 February 2009, 20:43 »
Fair play, doing something different :P you gonna do the hazard taping to the standard splitter? In and around Cornwall over the past couple of days my splitter has taken an absolute battering and not one crack or chunk missing! LOL!

Orange and yellow indicators and blanks? What colour is the car gonna be again? :P

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
« Reply #373 on: 22 February 2009, 21:15 »
standard color, flash red. thinking standard orange indicators and yellow blanking plates and yellow hellas headlights

splitter will be color coded. although the battered vr splitter will be kept and put on at meets, shows, sort of thing. will be a great contrast of shiny mint car and piece of sh!t, battered vr splitter. it has taken a real a$$ kicking, crashed when we were out drifting in the snow, hit bumps too fast and bounced off the splitter, loads of steep hills coming out to flat ground - so the splitter is the first to know about it lol. got a couple cracks, but still together. tape is started show signs of deterioration though.....

Offline Shady Pioneer

• Serious forum addict
  • graphic designer.
« Reply #374 on: 22 February 2009, 21:18 »
Cool! Sounds interesting :D defo different so you'll get noticed, will be interesting to see :) I bet your splitter is actually smashed to pieces but that tape is keeping it together lol!

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #375 on: 22 February 2009, 21:21 »
If it helps with the orange idea???

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
« Reply #376 on: 22 February 2009, 21:27 »
i was looking back through pics of when it had the cl lights on thought, they look way better than the gti ones. i guess its cause car is red and cl lights are mainly red.

found an awesome link about 1.8t's on vwvortex:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2666114

i need to find out what the fuel evap stuff on the 1.8t looks like, cause i need to take it off as its not needed.

there is so much to do for the conversion. way more than i thought. I really want to start but cant do anything until i can get ahold of the garage im meant to be borrowing. but the guy is always on holiday and still aint moved his stuff!

not looking forward to ordering qpeng stuff either, kinda scary. a lot of money!

wayned - thanks m8, looks good. should go really well with flash red. hey, i remember you saying you had some yellow stainglass window stuff or something, is it any good?

CHeeRS :)

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #377 on: 22 February 2009, 21:40 »
Yes it is good stuff, I have a spare pot if you ever want it.

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
« Reply #378 on: 22 February 2009, 21:50 »
Yes it is good stuff, I have a spare pot if you ever want it.

yeah cheers m8, might need to give it try and see how turns up. does it come off easy or with nitro mors? just thinking if i put it on the hellas............ you know.

talking about the hellas and making them yellow. is it legal to have yellow headlights, pass mot? and how much duller will they be?

CHeeRS :)

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #379 on: 22 February 2009, 21:56 »
My fogs were ok and no darker than standard.