Author Topic: LL's Mk3 1.8t Cab  (Read 433014 times)

Offline VR6-Joe

• I live here
You sure you guys got your measurements correct?

shepgti - I checked your thread and your splitter looks about the same as mine?

My splitter is 3 inches (7.5cm/75mm) from the floor :huh:
Gone but not forgotten;
1983 Mk1 Golf GX - 1991 Mk2 Golf GTI - 1988 Scirocco Scala - 1989 Mk2 Golf CL - 1993 Mk3 Golf Ryder - 1996 Mk3 Golf SE - 1996 Mk3 Golf CL - 1995 Mk3 Golf GTI 16v - 1996 Mk3 Golf VR6 Highline - 2003 Saxo VTR - 1996 Mk3 Golf VR6

Offline shepgti

• I live here
You sure you guys got your measurements correct?

shepgti - I checked your thread and your splitter looks about the same as mine?

My splitter is 3 inches (7.5cm/75mm) from the floor :huh:

they must have settled a little lower or somin :laugh:

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
well mine looks very low, but my coilies arent wound that low really, splitter sits around 2.5/3 inches from the ground. thats measuring from the middle.

2-3cm??? seems quite low! i scrap every speed bump and my splitter comes off (slightly detaches) a few times down rough roads and stuff. I even get grounded on some bumps!

As for the megasquirt thing, i can get it supplied and built for £200. which aint too bad, but after researching into it, it is actually quite complicated and seeing as this is my first engine conversion, i want things to be a bit more simple. therefore theres less things that can go wrong. looks like i will stick with qpeng. they can supply the ecu ready mapped to your specs. so with a 3" decat, cooler, k04, could be looking at 280bhp. And it is very easy to fit, so i dont need to worry about any wiring, ecu related problems, etc.

megasquirt is even harder when boost comes into play, and i dont want to blow up a 1.8t!!! could be a costly mistake!

although i defo want to try megasquirt, but i might try it with my next project. of course im not going to start/invest in another project until this one is complete, but i have ideas already. Im thinking 16v on r1 carbs running megasquirt or a vr6 ITB, not sure. I defo want to try megasquirt at some point, but not now. maybe play with it on a cheap run around, like an mk2 polo or another golf (mk2/3). will need to wait for insurance to drop before i can afford to keep 2 cars on the road.

Anyway, went on a parts hunt this weekend and found nothing. visited pretty much every scrappy too :(
although, i did blag a white petrol cap from a derv! need one tbh, cause the little ring/hole thing that the central locking bit goes through came off mine, so when the car was unlocked, it didnt sit flush.

also done a bit of bodywork this weeknd, not much, but started going around the car, tidying things up ready for paint. sorted 2 of the arches out, going to do the other 2 2moro nite. still more to be done on the car in terms of bodywork, but its getting there. i doubt it will be done in the next few weeks for the meet, but hey.
I also removed the spoiler. this will be staying off after the respray too, seeing as i go smoothed bumpers, i thought i'd go for a cleaner look.

I will post up a few pics in a bit.

let me know what you reckon, especially about megasquirt/ecu stuff. might consider it if i can get knowledge from a few peeps running there 1.8t on megasquirt or another ecu.

LL ;)

Offline VR6-Joe

• I live here
I'm with you on this bro, mine's 2.5-3 inches off the floor, I scrape the splitter on every speed bump, there's a road opposite my house that has a dip half way down it that I have to slow right down for, there's a road near my mates house that I have to avoid cus my downpipe scrapes right the way down the middle of it, I struggle getting in and out of some car parks, and I can't even use my own driveway so I have to park my car in a residential car park.

And my car is on 17's :huh:
Gone but not forgotten;
1983 Mk1 Golf GX - 1991 Mk2 Golf GTI - 1988 Scirocco Scala - 1989 Mk2 Golf CL - 1993 Mk3 Golf Ryder - 1996 Mk3 Golf SE - 1996 Mk3 Golf CL - 1995 Mk3 Golf GTI 16v - 1996 Mk3 Golf VR6 Highline - 2003 Saxo VTR - 1996 Mk3 Golf VR6

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
I'm with you on this bro, mine's 2.5-3 inches off the floor, I scrape the splitter on every speed bump, there's a road opposite my house that has a dip half way down it that I have to slow right down for, there's a road near my mates house that I have to avoid cus my downpipe scrapes right the way down the middle of it, I struggle getting in and out of some car parks, and I can't even use my own driveway so I have to park my car in a residential car park.

And my car is on 17's :huh:

any lower and mine would be REALLY bad

i really struggle out my drive, splitter sort of bends and scrapes for about 0.5-1m as my drive way goes down the road and there is a dip at the end of my drive. Im going to get some instant tarmac i reckon (got some at work) and when its dry im going to solve this issue!!

btw, i have to avoid certain areas due the lowness! but you 2-3cm guys are at the next level!!! respect!!

LL ;)

Offline VR6-Joe

• I live here
Well I forgot that you when you lower a car you need to allow room for the tyres when turning, so when I turn my front wheels it hits on the tyres, woops.
Gone but not forgotten;

Offline shepgti

• I live here
yea thats the trouble with running 17's, you have to make it rub to make it look low.

Offline VR6-Joe

• I live here
If it ain't rubbin' it ain't dubbin' hey?

I love the look on peoples faces though, they see the arch gap and the look on their face is immense :grin:
Gone but not forgotten;

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
i got 16"s and they are fine, but i got arch modification due to low offset.

haha and the faces when they hear the scrapping :shocked: .................... :D

pics coming up soon!

LL ;)

Offline VR6-Joe

• I live here
The look on their faces?

Where my mate lives, there's a speed bump that goes up, then across, then down again, but on the top part is a zebra crossing.
This old lady was waiting to cross and she had a guide dog so was obviously blind. I pulled up slowly, and instead of stopping before the speed bump, I got half the car up onto it and then stopped just before the crossing, my splitter scraped on the speed bump and to be honest it must have scared the crap out of the blind lady! I felt well bad lmao!
Gone but not forgotten;