Author Topic: LL's Mk3 1.8t Cab  (Read 430077 times)

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
Re: LL's MK3 20VT Daily Hack [Bodywork in progress...]
« Reply #1180 on: 03 June 2010, 11:11 »
So car is down at the bodyshop til tomorrow, so cant wait to get it back!

i did drop the rear tyre pressures to 26psi and upped the fronts to 34psi. Made a difference to its stability, especially when letting off. So its strut braces next to reduce the chassis flex and i reckon it should handle a lot better.

Wayne - the guy at the body shop reckoned the rear beam bolts into the same place no matter what, so there might be play when the bolts are loose, but when you tighten the bolts it goes into the same place regardless of where you moved it when the bolts were loose. I dont know if this is correct....
a friend of mine said he straighten his up by loosening the bolts and moving it that little bit and it made all the difference to how it felt to drive.... :undecided:

We'll see how it goes when the strut braces are in place.

Yep spot on, your beam or stub axle might be bent.

34 is a bit high for the front tyre pressures, 32 is about as I high as I would go to be honest.

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
« Reply #1181 on: 03 June 2010, 12:10 »
So car is down at the bodyshop til tomorrow, so cant wait to get it back!

i did drop the rear tyre pressures to 26psi and upped the fronts to 34psi. Made a difference to its stability, especially when letting off. So its strut braces next to reduce the chassis flex and i reckon it should handle a lot better.

Wayne - the guy at the body shop reckoned the rear beam bolts into the same place no matter what, so there might be play when the bolts are loose, but when you tighten the bolts it goes into the same place regardless of where you moved it when the bolts were loose. I dont know if this is correct....
a friend of mine said he straighten his up by loosening the bolts and moving it that little bit and it made all the difference to how it felt to drive.... :undecided:

We'll see how it goes when the strut braces are in place.

Yep spot on, your beam or stub axle might be bent.

34 is a bit high for the front tyre pressures, 32 is about as I high as I would go to be honest.

your probs right, i suspect new stub axle's might be worth a shot, but it might be a bent beam... would need to hit it quite hard though wouldnt you? Will have to take the stub axles off and look at where they're seated, doesnt take a lot there to put the wheel out a lot.

cheers bud :)

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #1182 on: 03 June 2010, 12:29 »
Does not take much to bend a rear beam sliding into a curb hard enough will do it

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
« Reply #1183 on: 03 June 2010, 17:47 »
Does not take much to bend a rear beam sliding into a curb hard enough will do it

well it wasnt me lol, but i dont know the history of the car it came off so it very well might be bent, but hey ho, its all good :)

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
« Reply #1184 on: 04 June 2010, 14:18 »
Getting the car back saturday morn and going down to the sprayers with it straight from there to strip it down, finishing off any prepping and leave it there to be primered during the week.

Been busy myself getting these ready to spray myself:

Another coat of primer and then paint. Gives me something to do on my lunch break at work :)

Got a recent pic of engine bay too when i swapped the bonnet over, i needed one as i havent taken one is agggessss.

Offline robz

• I live here
  • mk3's rule, haters gonna hate!
« Reply #1185 on: 04 June 2010, 21:40 »
nice work!
ya got standard lights back on now or just a temporary thing?!

Believe me its a dead ringer for you! Even says something stupid!

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
« Reply #1186 on: 04 June 2010, 22:22 »
nice work!
ya got standard lights back on now or just a temporary thing?!

cheers man, hella's are going to be sprayed too, but wont be fitted until i get hids for them :)

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
« Reply #1187 on: 05 June 2010, 22:56 »
Got it back from T&D Bodyworks, and Ben and Dom have done an awesome job! Top work fellas ;) if anyone needs bodywork done, please use them you wont be disappointed!

Some piccies of what it looks like now:

No time today to get it to the spray shop and strip it down, so hopefully get a chance monday evening.

Happy days! Wheels coming off tomorrow if i get time so they can refurb next week too :)

Oh and got 5mm spacers for the fronts and looking for some 15/20mm hubcentric spacers for the rears :D Needs to be wider! New coilies soon as these are seized and i want to go lower! Not sure what to get though.....

Oh and camber tool coming soon too so i can set it up myself instead of paying lots of dollar to tweak it all the time.

:)

Offline Dmonday

• I live here
« Reply #1188 on: 05 June 2010, 23:34 »
Looking forward to seeing this painted, looks sweet :afro:

Dan

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
« Reply #1189 on: 05 June 2010, 23:49 »