Author Topic: LL's Mk3 1.8t Cab  (Read 432094 times)

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
Re: LL's MK3 20VT SLEEPER [Rims revealed!]
« Reply #840 on: 05 February 2010, 12:29 »
oh and looked at the wheel bearing and it turns out the hub nut was slowly coming lose. i tightened it up as much as i could by hand, but will grab a scaf bar or get a garage to air gun it tight, dont want it coming loose again! :D

next - shift mech, oil pressure switch and coolant temp sensor.

I might be wrong but overtightening it will damage it as you could crush the bearing.

not the fronts.

the rear ones need to be finger tight, maybe not even. as the bearings are compressed or something.... so yeah, they need to be just tight enough so it doesnt wobble.

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
Re: LL's MK3 20VT SLEEPER [Rims revealed!]
« Reply #841 on: 05 February 2010, 18:53 »
talk about problems! i got more!

smacked the sump today, it cracked, quite bad i think oil was pissing out! lucky i was just down the road from my house so i drove it there and its sat on flat ground so i can jack it up, etc. i was on my way to gsf at the time, so stopped in for what i went there for and picked up a sump while i was there :D

so hopefully it wont rain on sunday when im changing the sump! got fresh oil from vw too :cool:
« Last Edit: 05 February 2010, 19:09 by LazyLunatic »

Offline robz

• I live here
  • mk3's rule, haters gonna hate!
Re: LL's MK3 20VT SLEEPER [Sump has been KO'd!]
« Reply #842 on: 05 February 2010, 22:37 »
buggeration m8!!

hope its a simple fix!!
bit of a pre curser though, looks like your gonna have to be careful!

Believe me its a dead ringer for you! Even says something stupid!

Offline shepgti

• I live here
« Reply #843 on: 05 February 2010, 22:48 »
told you it all looked low  :rolleyes: :grin:

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #844 on: 05 February 2010, 23:36 »
Hope you have not damaged it

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
« Reply #845 on: 06 February 2010, 10:30 »
told you it all looked low  :rolleyes: :grin:

it all looked low i know but i havent scraped anywhere yet, not even MASSIVE speedbumps or anything. so i am gutted :( going to have to be careful now!

should be fun getting covered in oil and most likely getting pissed off the damn thing cause the sump wont come off or something :D

Hope you have not damaged it

cheers mate, i think its only the sump. the boost pipes got a little scratched and the intercooler didnt get much damage, and its still ran and boosted properly, so all good there. will find the real damage when its jacked up.

« Last Edit: 06 February 2010, 10:32 by LazyLunatic »

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
« Reply #846 on: 08 February 2010, 12:14 »
looking like the flywheel needs to come off to get the sump off :(

my mate is taking it to his garage in the week. if he takes the box off to do it i will get him to fit the g60 box i got and sort the gears. we think its a loose nut inside in the mech, same thing happened to his mate with his mk3 16v. might get him to do everything else too while its in there - oil pressure switch, thermostat, coolant temp sensor and maybe the cambelt (although would like to do this, never done one before!)

so hopefully it will come out of the garage this week a new car! :D

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
« Reply #847 on: 08 February 2010, 19:45 »
car is going in tomorrow, going to get him to do the lot:
-shift mech
-front offside wheel bearing
-new mk3 oil pressure switch (low pressure)
-new sump and oil
-coolant temp sensor
-thermostat

got new rims on the weekend too, they're in the car. going to trail fit them when i get the car back and hammer out the arches a little more, cause no doubt they will need to be stretched out more!

will get pics up of the new bits and bobs and also the alloys when they are cleaned up and fitted :)

Offline DrewGTI

• I live here
« Reply #848 on: 08 February 2010, 23:05 »
read parts of the thread so sorry if i ask anything thats already been covered!

but just wondering on what your BHP is and how much the conversion has cost you? also fuel bills etc , cost much to keep filling her?

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
« Reply #849 on: 08 February 2010, 23:17 »
read parts of the thread so sorry if i ask anything thats already been covered!

but just wondering on what your BHP is and how much the conversion has cost you? also fuel bills etc , cost much to keep filling her?

i hoping 230ish, but will be RR'd at TSR 6th March.

Not sure on cost. Got a load of receipts to go through.... qpeng stuff was a grand and the engine was 500. i replaced most things with brand new parts, a lot of genuine parts too, including new bolts, etc in places. i did post a list of whats been done a few pages back. the car, exterior wise was pretty much a shell, and rebuilt that way, as most of it needed uprating and i wanted it to be mint. only thing i didnt touch was the driveshafts and hubs. they came from a mk2 16v and at the time i wanted it together so just threw them on. i wish i had put on new cv joints and boots and new bearings in the hubs and given the whole lot a lick of paint, as its the only things i didnt do that too.

Fuel - now im not sure as of yet. just fitted a lambda sensor which i didnt have before and apparently that makes a hell of a difference to fuel consumption and i havent and chance to see the difference yet. changing the temp sensor and thermostat too. so hopefully when i get it back i should be getting 30mpg+. wont even say how bad it was before :D