Author Topic: LL's Mk3 1.8t Cab  (Read 432986 times)

Offline boo

• Not said much yet
thats it basicly altough the agu has a better flowing head
and better engine internals than a bam the agu just has a crappy
little turbo on it !

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
Whats the difference between the AGU and BAM engine, as the bam has more bhp, is it just the turbo? Is the bam a KO4? And the AGU a KO3? Is it just the turbo, so an agu with the larger turbo would make the same power?

Cheers

Mike

BAM is better really, as it comes with the ko4 as standard, and it is a big hassle to convert an agu to k04. AGU does have a large port head but the internals are the same.

i have a chart somewhere with info on all 1.8t engines...... need to find it.

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
WOW, onto the 2nd page, now thats lazy haha.

havent really done much with it recently rather than shout at it and then break down in tears lol.

got the beam off and handbrake cables out, i just ripped the metal sleeves out lol, the old handbrake cable are stuck in them lol. so just feed the new ones into the car and got the jetex zaust on. looks phat from the back. 2.5" is actually quite big, going to be interesting when its slammed. knocking exhaust anyone? :D

yeah so tried getting the new rear beam on but the damn thing is too small now cause the powerflex bushes are too big. not too bad to get it on, but its a very tight squeeze. and aligning is a pain cause once its in the brackets, as its so tight, you cant move it. why cant powerflex make life easier lol.

going to down there after work today, so hopefully get it on 4 wheels tonight.

wil get a proper update soon with pics, but been so busy lately so not had a chance.

just need a couple more bits, new front crossmember as mine has been butchered and some brake lines from the master cylinder (needed off a gti with abs i think).

as for problems, i have to figure out the brake bias valve as there is no where on the gti beam to mount one and also the beam never came with one. so need to sort it out or i will have no brakes!

LL ;)

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
Have you really not finished this yet?
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
Have you really not finished this yet?

i saw that the last post was you DH, and all i could think was  "here we go....." lol.

no i have not finished it, havent put the time in. plus i only just received engine mounting brackets and starter today! ordered them a while back now!

your welcome to come down and show me hows its done :D :D :D

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
Well, I'm a bit busy doing 'work' at the moment, but for a fee DannyP might be persuaded to stop by - he's due down your way with a 20V and PD150 loom in the next week or two.....
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
Well, I'm a bit busy doing 'work' at the moment, but for a fee DannyP might be persuaded to stop by - he's due down your way with a 20V and PD150 loom in the next week or two.....

cool stuff. funny this actually, been doing it by myself and suddenly i have got like 6+ poeple that can help!

got an update with pics later from last nite. i got the rear wheels on!!! woop woop!!! got to finish off a couple little bits this weekend, then once i can get ahold of a front crossmember, engine is going in :cool:

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
OK, update time baby - with pics!

So i got the rear beam off fine, and got the zaust off, and fitted new one. went on nice and easy without the rear beam there.

heres some shots of the car on 4 wheels. the weight of the engine should take the front down to a nice height, might need to lower the rear a little more.

Got the new handbrake sleeves the other day and refitted the handbrake cables, much better, but i can still pull the handbrake lever to the top.... not sure if i need to have brake fluid and have the pads set, etc. so hoping that this will sort itself out, cause i've done it right.

anyway, got the front wheels off and put the calipers on and fitted my new pads. connected up the goodridge hoses and then put the wheels back on. happy days. only thing left to do with the brakes is the brake bias valve and brake lines for the master cylinder.

few more pics:

looking at it, i havent really started the actual conversion yet lol. engine is going in next weekend. gives me a week to get my new uprated mounts and for the crossmember to arrive. once its in, will just be a case of connecting it all up. wiring is sorted, found the tacho and fuel pump now, so the qpeng loom can be wired in.

if i get time during next week, i will have a look at the front end and figure out where the cooler is going and figure out fitting the vr rad.

LL ;)

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
Good progress.

Offline funkyfive

• I live here
Looks good, i will have to keep on close on your project for tips and tricks!!