Author Topic: LL's Mk3 1.8t Cab  (Read 433593 times)

Offline Mikester

• Forum addict
  • Civic Type R
o ok, that cleared a few things up. Its just that i always though a remap done on the car, on the rollers, is the best option? Plus also once the conversion is in, and you maybe mod it up a bit, intercooler, exhaust etc etc. You might want a new map specifically for the car.

So the mk3 ecu is removed completely? What about the imoboliser?

Offline Dec

• I live here
Mike, qpeng do it all for you. I probably won't bother with an engine swap in mine now but I had a massive chat with matt about it not that long ago.

If you got a Bam engine from a TT, they are 225bhp standard, and the qpeng management comes with a remap to 280bhp :cool: So after you buy the engine (with everything), qpeng management + downpipe + loom, FMI, your looking at around £2500. Matt said it could be done for around £2800 (with a little handy man fitting over a week) :)

Offline Mikester

• Forum addict
  • Civic Type R
Cheers for that.

It is pricey i know. Probably wont bother with this conversion. But just wanted to know a few things. lol.

Not sure how much more money i want to waste on a mk3 golf. haha.

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
qpeng is plug and plug. just take out your engine loom and ecu and replace it with there, most you do is splice in 5 wires.

qpeng power figures are taking into account you run an intercooler and decat. i think the BAM is 270bhp with qpeng?

as for pricing, engine is say £1000 for a BAM on average, then qpeng loom/downpipe/ecu, etc is £1200. so £2200 as a base figure. i have replaced a lot of parts with new ones and had to upgrade my brakes, so got all new brakes..... and loads of little bits and bobs that add up. think im looking at around £3500+

Mike - as for remapping the extras on. ben @ qpeng said the ecu is made to run cooler and 2.5" decat system. i will be running this :evil: but any extras you do, apparently the ecu can take other mods into account. If you do any major mods, they will remap it for free, but this only applies when using VAG parts, say a k04 upgrade. which is cool, so if at any point i want to put on a k04, i can get it remapped for free!

if ya need any more info about the conversion, let me know. anything, like parts needed and stuff. i got a list of everything i have bought so far and prices. scary when you add it up...... :D

LL ;)

Offline Dec

• I live here
Yer I think qpeng state 270, but 280 can be achieved easily with some tweaking :smug:

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
yeah i say 230, cause that what qpeng have said. i will be running decat, 2.5" system, fmic, forge tip, 007p, lightened g60 fly/vr clutch, etc. so hopefully get around 230bhp. going to get it on the rollers when its done for a health check and get my printout.... fingers crossed that they dont say the engine is running sh!t and it less than 200bhp :D

Offline Mikester

• Forum addict
  • Civic Type R
are you going to run a 16v O2A gearbox with a hyrdro clutch etc?

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
running the 02a cable change box out of a 16v, yes. but running cable clutch. got an actuator new from vw whch fits to the box so you can run a cable clutch.

i will wack up an update this weekend and i can list all the parts, upgrades, etc. i guess like a spec list that people have in their sigs.

neway, i gotta get in a couple hours for work, so best get some sleep! :D

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
ohh and qpeng doesnt run knock sensor DH, but it doesnt need it according to ben.

OK, so he says it doesn't need knock control, yeah?

Here's an article about detonation

Maybe you should ask him how the spark advance is controlled?

With a good knock controller it allows the engine to advance the spark timing until it detects 'detonation', then it pulls the advance back.

Detonation isn't a static thing, it varies with fuel grade and other factors and turbo motors are more prone to detonation.

A very short period of detonation will be enough to shag your rather expensive motor, so unless there's some 'alternative' way of managing detonation I'm curious as to why QPENG don't use knock control.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
ohh and qpeng doesnt run knock sensor DH, but it doesnt need it according to ben.

OK, so he says it doesn't need knock control, yeah?

Here's an article about detonation

Maybe you should ask him how the spark advance is controlled?

With a good knock controller it allows the engine to advance the spark timing until it detects 'detonation', then it pulls the advance back.

Detonation isn't a static thing, it varies with fuel grade and other factors and turbo motors are more prone to detonation.

A very short period of detonation will be enough to shag your rather expensive motor, so unless there's some 'alternative' way of managing detonation I'm curious as to why QPENG don't use knock control.

he did say he has not encounted a problem with it before but also said its OK, as long as its mapped correctly and run on the correct octane fuel it was mapped to use, which is 97. which i run anyway :)

thanks again DH :)