Author Topic: LL's Mk3 1.8t Cab  (Read 432479 times)

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project

started to build the rear beam back up, but need to retract the piston in the caliper some how so the caliper can fit on.... also the rear beam bushes are f***ing really hard to get back in! need to get a file/dremel on the beam so they can fit in!

Don't know if you've done this job now but this thread in VW Vortex helped me out massively when doing my rear bushes.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3242686

yeah all sorted :) thanks though :afro:

What happened to exhausts that go straight down the car?

Haven't you finished this yet?

Are you running a knock-sensor on the engine management?  If not you're cooking up one of these

its a mk3 DH, so it aint going to be as simple as straight down the car :D

and no it isnt finished yet LOL! finally got a set of hubs that i can use (long story, but basically has been a huge ball ache!), so they should be here wednesday, then i can bolt the front back together, get the rear beam swapped over, then it will be a rolling shell.

having problems with engine mounts now, cant use the rear engine mount off the 1.4, so need to find out what engine has mounts i can use - gti 8v/16v? vr?

i jumped in the deep end with this, not knowing what to do really, so i am teaching myself along the way. that and a combination of not really putting enough time in is why it aint done.

as for knock sensor i dont know. Im sure ben leach @ qpeng has thought about this. will need to throw him an email to check then.

LL ;)

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
hey mate cool project

can i ask where you got the 15 cans of paint from for that price?

thanks  :smiley:

maccess.

although you can pick them up cheap at paint shops (hex holdings?).

also cheapy DIY stores (trago mills?) for like £1.50ish a can.

LL ;)

Offline Matty-MK3

• I live here
  • Automatic boats FTW.
Cheers dude.
« Last Edit: 15 January 2010, 17:36 by Matty-MK3 »
Golf MK3 1.8 auto and I didn't pay a grand for the "priveledge" :grin:, auto windows all round and a AC. Oh and I've got a luggage net you pricks!

Does that make my willy look bigger?

Oh yeah it's called Helda or something....

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
thx mate

is maccess a shop or do you have to be a trader?

it looks sick matte black  :cool:

porper sleeper

yeah its trade, but i got lucky an know some1 with an account.

check around your area for a cheapy diy store or cheapy car shop. they sell the cans cheap enough.

cheers m8, i love it in matt black. dont think i could have it sprayed properly really, as i would be worried about it too much! this way it cost me pretty much nothing and its easy to fix a scratch :)

just needs a quick sand down with like 1000 wet and dry to get it smooth, then its sorted. but im going to do that until its back on the road.

LL ;)

Offline Mikester

• Forum addict
  • Civic Type R
So is the engine in yet?

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
So is the engine in yet?

need engine mounts. ohh and a shopping trolley, need wheels for my m8s engine crane he made.

cant get front together (brakes, etc) until i got my hubs, which i should get this week.

ohh and still got the impossible job or replacing front crossmember bushes!!! they are really hard to do!!!

LL ;)

Offline Mikester

• Forum addict
  • Civic Type R
Crane he made? WTF? Do you really trust that? lol.

So the time scale to getting the engine in?

Do you have the qpeng loom yet?

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
Crane he made? WTF? Do you really trust that? lol.

So the time scale to getting the engine in?

Do you have the qpeng loom yet?

would have an update up on here, but cant get the pics off my phone. tis weird as you can view them on the phone, but they dont appear in the folders on the lappy when you plug the usb in, as they normally do....

yeah got loom a while back, need to try and find the tacho and fuel pump wires out of the huge bunch of wires from the fusebox....

yeah crane is awesome, he works in civil engineering, so all good :)

time scale? nahhh, just do bits and bobs weneva. i would be down there now, but until i get the hubs, engine mount brackets and front crossmember sorted, it aint really worth it. once i get the hubs, i can make it a rolling shell and get all the brakes bolted on.

til then i can only wire in the loom, which is 5 wires - fuel pump, tacho, 12v and two for the coolant temp.

ohh and qpeng doesnt run knock sensor DH, but it doesnt need it according to ben.

forgot also that qpeng has a in car boost control switch. its just little dash mounted switch (on/off). when the switch is in the on position it runs high boost and off means low. ohh and there is a shift light :cool: :D

Offline Mikester

• Forum addict
  • Civic Type R
So when you run the 20v engine, with the mk3 ecu, and the qpeng ecu. Can you:

Get it remapped by say nick at rtech? As the mk3 ecu cant be mapped i dont think?

Also can you do a fault code search, through the obd2 port? For the engine fault codes?

Just wondering these things myself, for furture reference when i make decissions.

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
So when you run the 20v engine, with the mk3 ecu, and the qpeng ecu. Can you:

Get it remapped by say nick at rtech? As the mk3 ecu cant be mapped i dont think?

Also can you do a fault code search, through the obd2 port? For the engine fault codes?

Just wondering these things myself, for furture reference when i make decissions.

you dont run 2 ecu's, you only run the qpeng ecu, which replaces the old ecu. not sure about reading fault codes.... best off asking ben @ qpeng about that.

as for mapping, the ecu comes ready mapped to run at 230bhp. there is a program called easimap that qpeng can supply for £200. looks pretty cool and allows to do it all yourself. i played around with the demo and yes, it does look very complicated, but its something i'd like to look into :cool:
there is a ecu comms port which Easimap connects to. as for getting it mapped by rtech. im pretty sure you can get it remapped, but not sure how much benefit that would have as the qpeng ecu is ready to roll... best check with ben @ qpeng to make sure you do this though.

LL ;)