Author Topic: Dragon Green Mk3 GTI  (Read 43229 times)

Offline Callum_K

• Here all the time
Dragon Green Mk3 GTI
« on: 26 October 2012, 14:20 »
I'd already posted my car in the Mk3 section as I didn't see this section before, so apologies if it seems familiar to anybody, but figured it would be better off in here.

Been on here a few months now and thought it best I finally get some pics of my car up! I bought my 8v GTI in August after 7 years of 6n Polo ownership. I know the 8V aren't the fastest of cars but it's plenty enough for me after coming off a 60 bhp Polo!

I bought the car from eBay, fairly standard and really only in need of some tlc. 135k but feels very tight! 10 months MOT and tax, some history, but all looked in good order apart from some rot around a rear window. The glass in question was a replacement so can only guess it was replaced and not sealed properly. Someone then tried to bodge it and it left a bit of a mess. Anyway I will let the pics do the talking of how it was when I got it.

The only bad points were a missing  bit of sill trim which I picked up from VW, and the aforementioned rust. I  booked the car in to Excel Bodyworks in Radstock who sorted it for a bargain price.

The finish is flawless! I had 2 completely rotten corners of the window, as well as a couple of fist sized dents, and another small patch of bubbling paint work. All done and done properly with new metal welded in, painted the whole rear quarter, colour match is spot on. All done for £300 inc VAT. Nice guys too, will definitely be returning if I need other bits doing!

Put on a black grill and surround with black badge.

Then decided to quickly redo the red pinstriping, including the side strips.

Unfortunately my passenger window regulator broke so had to replace that. Next mods were some AutoArt copies of Hella twin lights, and a K&N panel filter.

I then spent a weekend polishing and waxing, fitted a Remus backbox, treated the trim, changed the oil and filter along with new rotor arm and distributor cap. Here are the fruits of my labour.

This is where I'm up to at the moment. Next plans are lows and new wheels :)
« Last Edit: 13 June 2013, 14:08 by Callum_K »

Offline Ginge 35Edition

• I live here
Re: Mk3 GTI in Dragon Green....first Golf!
« Reply #1 on: 26 October 2012, 15:19 »
Great start, the pipes stick out a bit though don't they?

Offline Callum_K

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 26 October 2012, 16:00 »
They do a bit yes, but it's mounted as far back as possible. Doesn't really bother me anyway. The pipe is also quieter than the standard!

Offline DanChave

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 26 October 2012, 20:27 »
Looking good mate, get that bottom bar on the grill colour coded and the front end will be on for a winner :)

Offline Callum_K

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 28 October 2012, 20:40 »
Think I'm going to keep the bottom part of the grill black, I think it suits with the black headlight surrounds and bumper trim.

Had a bit of a mare today though. I'd had a slow coolant leak, losing an expansion tanks worth every 10 days or so, and traced it to the flange on the front of the head. Replaced that last week, the o ring on the old one was almost non existent! However, sealing up that seems to have put pressure on the side flange, and it was absolutely pissing out. An easy fix as replacements are cheap, but its Sunday, nowhere that will have it is open, and I was visiting my parents 60 miles from home. My old man is going to fix it for me tomorrow but it means I have to get the dreaded peasant wagon to work tomorrow!

On a good note, got some goodies coming very soon. :)

Offline DanChave

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 28 October 2012, 22:45 »
Think I'm going to keep the bottom part of the grill black, I think it suits with the black headlight surrounds and bumper trim.

Had a bit of a mare today though. I'd had a slow coolant leak, losing an expansion tanks worth every 10 days or so, and traced it to the flange on the front of the head. Replaced that last week, the o ring on the old one was almost non existent! However, sealing up that seems to have put pressure on the side flange, and it was absolutely pissing out. An easy fix as replacements are cheap, but its Sunday, nowhere that will have it is open, and I was visiting my parents 60 miles from home. My old man is going to fix it for me tomorrow but it means I have to get the dreaded peasant wagon to work tomorrow!

On a good note, got some goodies coming very soon. :)

Shame about the coolant leak problems! And trust me about the grill, it just looks unfinished at the moment :/

Offline Callum_K

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 30 October 2012, 19:34 »
Just spent a big wad of cash at Rimstyle, and other goodies being delivered tomorrow  :evil:

Offline whileoceanasleeps

• I live here
  • patience comes to those who wait.
« Reply #7 on: 30 October 2012, 19:39 »
niice

nothing better than a few presents to yourself through the post

Offline Callum_K

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 31 October 2012, 15:27 »
niice

nothing better than a few presents to yourself through the post

Yep decided to treat myself :) Got one package through today, will update with pics later.

Offline Callum_K

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 31 October 2012, 18:16 »
Got these today, FK Power Hi Tec shocks, each with 6 point adjustable dampening. They are £100 a corner from Venom, I paid less than that for all 4 direct from FK in Germany and that includes postage lol. Also got a set of lowering spring caps for the front. Lowering springs on their way too

« Last Edit: 13 November 2012, 09:46 by Callum_K »