Author Topic: MK3 Golf GTI Diamond Black!  (Read 12760 times)

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
Re: MK3 Golf GTI Diamond Black!
« Reply #20 on: 10 October 2011, 23:43 »
After looking at those pictures, I really don't think it is worth saving.

Sorry but break it and make some money, you could get a much better car for not a lot more money.

Offline CCGTI

• I live here
  • Fueled Society
« Reply #21 on: 11 October 2011, 09:28 »
nuts to that, repair it. Makes a good hobby and yeah we can break this one, break the next but soon there won't be many left.

Just repair it and make a decent example, yeah OK it might not be original but all the more reason to slam it.  :evil:

it looks past repairing, I would rather put my money in some nice wheels, decent suspension, nice stereo, its all good having a project but if i saw that everyday on my drive or garage i would be thinking, I wish i bought something else

Offline BISSONE

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #22 on: 11 October 2011, 11:10 »
You have a good point i have to admit but then again i need to bare in mind i only bought it as a project, im in no hurry to finish it and although it is a rust bucket it does have some good points lol, not many ill admit but a few  :tongue:, ill see how it goes its only £380 at the end of the day if it comes to a stage when iv started chopping the rust out and it gets worse and worse ill just break it but as it stands its a good car to better my skills.

Offline Bellend

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 11 October 2011, 12:19 »
nuts to that, repair it. Makes a good hobby and yeah we can break this one, break the next but soon there won't be many left.

Just repair it and make a decent example, yeah OK it might not be original but all the more reason to slam it.  :evil:

it looks past repairing, I would rather put my money in some nice wheels, decent suspension, nice stereo, its all good having a project but if i saw that everyday on my drive or garage i would be thinking, I wish i bought something else

You got your car and modified it. You've spent whatever on it.

Was it worth it? No. Worth it to you? Yes.

This is nowhere near beyond repairing.Just repair it and learn. I've even welded up old exhausts just for the experiance.

Unless you have bought a car just to use daily and not a project, in which case I agree, you would probably be better off getting something else.

Where all my moneys went.

Golf MK3 1.6. Golf MK3 8v GTI.

Offline BISSONE

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #24 on: 11 October 2011, 19:30 »

You got your car and modified it. You've spent whatever on it.

Was it worth it? No. Worth it to you? Yes.

This is nowhere near beyond repairing.Just repair it and learn. I've even welded up old exhausts just for the experiance.

Unless you have bought a car just to use daily and not a project, in which case I agree, you would probably be better off getting something else.

Its very true, It was never meant as a daily as i use a van for work everyday neway. Bought this as i fancied a MK3 to do up as i wanted so hey ho here it is, could be a 1000 times better but then weres the fun in that.

Offline BISSONE

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #25 on: 11 October 2011, 19:57 »
So neway in the last week or so i sold my MK2 so stripped it of its valuables that i wanted to keep as iv got a treasure trove of goodies for in the future as i plan on getting another MK2 at some stage. 1 of the things i took out was my Toad AI606 alarm as the guy who bought it told me he was completely stripping it to be repaired and having standalone DTA management for the 300+ 20V engine he was having built.

Due to the car having the VAG alarm from the factroy when i removed it i left most of the plugs etc connectedso made fitting the Toad ver nice, So here it is all Connecters on the end ready to plug and play:

Got it all connected, Door protection front and back:

Central Locking connections at the pump:

Had to solder and shrink wrap the connections for the central locking and boot protection at the dash end:

Indicator Connections:

Starter Imobiliser, Decided to through crimp and heat shrink these as easier to remove in future:

Also Imobilised the fuel pump, again through crimp and heat shrink:

And here it is in its new home behind the glovebox where the VAG one sat:

Only thing left to do is mount the siren on other side of firewall underneath scuttle tray out of sight, and iv ordered the original bonnet switch bracket from VW to mount the new switch, just waiting to see if Germany have any lol.

Anyway im sorry if this is abit drab and boring but any progress is good pregress lol.

Also after looking at the clocks and the fact the rev counter only went to 6.5K and has no MFA it dawned on me there not GTI clocks and thats reason for Cerr code being displayed, so got myself a replacement set showing 125K:

Hopefully be able to get the alarm finished off for the weekend if the bracket turn up, going to swap both handles for rear delocked ones.
Passenger side already on:

A few weeks ago i ripped all the carpets up to have a look and give it a good vacume and had a good surprise drivers side as all the grommets were nice and not rusty:

Had a bad surprise on passenger side as some of the grommets that side were rusty, another kick in the nuts but never mind. As you can guess i wasnt best pleased so never took a pic of that lol.

Sorry some of the pics are poor just rushing half the time. 

Just gotta keep  :grin: as could always be worse!

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #26 on: 11 October 2011, 20:16 »
 :undecided: respect with fitting the alarm but would it not have been better to see how bad the rust is + work needed 1st.

140mph clocks are correct for a 8v btw, 16v was 160mph.

Offline BISSONE

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #27 on: 11 October 2011, 20:41 »
:undecided: respect with fitting the alarm but would it not have been better to see how bad the rust is + work needed 1st.

140mph clocks are correct for a 8v btw, 16v was 160mph.

I know yeah, as i say the original ones only went upto 6.5K on the rev counter and had no MAF so werent GTI clocks.

Offline CCGTI

• I live here
  • Fueled Society
« Reply #28 on: 11 October 2011, 20:57 »
think if i was keeping it as a project i would strip the car bare

Offline BISSONE

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #29 on: 11 October 2011, 21:00 »
Yeah i will be as i should be moving house in next month or so just havent got any room to put stuff where i am now, ill be leaving the dash and wiring in anyway though so didnt see the harm in getting it working lol.