Author Topic: Guy's mk1 Rivage  (Read 104918 times)

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
Re: Guy's mk1 Rivage
« Reply #250 on: 30 March 2011, 16:18 »
yeah, but 40 minutes wasnt too bad and everything is new and loose -

even though mr Lacking muscles couldnt hold the alien key against me turning the spanner to split the struts apart  :grin:  :laugh:  :lipsrsealed:

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #251 on: 30 March 2011, 16:56 »
yeah, but 40 minutes wasnt too bad and everything is new and loose -

even though mr Lacking muscles couldnt hold the alien key against me turning the spanner to split the struts apart  :grin:  :laugh:  :lipsrsealed:

you looked so happy doing it... some of us don't have the 'special arm muscles' that you have fella! or as you said... I didn't have my weetabix... or the nouse to use an extension to the allen bolt!!  :grin:

besides... you did it up... how the fcuk was I going to undo that!!?!  :laugh:

still... I managed to get that front strut off ok... and back in... couldn't have done that a while back  :smiley:

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
« Reply #252 on: 30 March 2011, 18:24 »

still... I managed to get that front strut off ok... and back in... couldn't have done that a while back  :smiley:

yep, you are doing good - makes it all worthwhile, a car back on the road , and knowledge passed on :afro:

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #253 on: 30 March 2011, 20:19 »
Great news with the springs, looks good.

Sorry I was wrong  :embarassed:

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
« Reply #254 on: 30 March 2011, 20:24 »
tis ok wayne, :afro: we are all human after all  :wink:

And i was always going to whip at least one back off just to be 100%, ( just didnt tell guy this )  hence making sure they sent a whole new srping kit out  :smiley:

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #255 on: 30 March 2011, 21:48 »
tis ok wayne, :afro: we are all human after all  :wink:

And i was always going to whip at least one back off just to be 100%, ( just didnt tell guy this )  hence making sure they sent a whole new srping kit out  :smiley:

i wasn't 100% on the fronts anyway (just don't tell chuff this)  :wink:

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
« Reply #256 on: 30 March 2011, 21:49 »
 :grin:

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #257 on: 30 March 2011, 21:52 »
:grin:

i think in one of the threads I mentioned a 'rattle' coming from the front left... this has now gone!  :cool:

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #258 on: 04 April 2011, 20:27 »
NO, didn't know about your broken spring... I had that once on my previous MK1 on the front, didn't know until the MOT man told me! Springs were old though and at the time it was the reason I upgraded to what you have now.

I’m guessing you have a kit that looks like this:

which does cover the worst worn bushes but I found on the first car I did that the ball joints of the linkages weren't that great, the clips for them were shot and the main ball/bush for the selector was pretty fooked too so wanted to replace the lot.  The same was with my black one.

Crazy's sell it all but not as a complete kit and obviously not as cheaply as what I got.  I found everything sold as one kit on egay for about 25 notes delivered, they come and go so you have to look out for them if you want to save a few quid. None on there at the moment.

Using crazy's as an example or if you choose to get it from them, you need the following which can be found on THIS page

They sell the basic bush with the short and long links included for about 18 quid delivered

Listed as Basic Bush and Link Kit GLBK+ GLSL + GLLL

You will also need the selector Bush and Ball kit which stupidly comes with bushes that you get with the above!

Listed as Bush and Ball Kit

And after writing all that I just found you the complete kit for £22 delivered!  :angry:  :grin: HERE

Tip for you, MK1s and 2's don’t have much of a smooth feel in the selector when changing gears compared to a modern car, so I recommend you find yourself a shift weight from a mk3 and replace the short link with it.  I have one, just not fitted it yet but had one on the previous golf and was so much nicer.

Found a couple HERE as an example but they come with other mk3 bits you don't need so keep an eye out unless you just bite the bullet and buy one of these and bin the other bits.  After a bit of searching I found a weight on it's own for about £6... maybe try a scrappy?

Hope this helps.

a word of caution to anyone considering a mk3 shift weight for a mk1

please see the post by runjonny here

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #259 on: 04 April 2011, 22:27 »
Sorry.  :embarassed:

MK3 weight can be used if you do THIS though.