Author Topic: Guy's mk1 Rivage  (Read 104870 times)

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
Re: Guy's mk1 Rivage
« Reply #200 on: 23 March 2011, 22:56 »
Well done boys... was getting worried as it's been quiet here for a while, good to see you're back on it despite being ill and rough as fook.....shame you had to stop when you did......... I feel guilty as I suggested this setup didn't I?  :lipsrsealed: Although I didn't pack the box!

Look forward to parking next to you soon!  :wink:

Is it at all possible, I mean I know they are the wrong springs but is it possible that lowering "sports" springs could be a lot shorter but compress less, thus only lowering it 35mm?

Stiffer springs kinda thing?  :huh:

Yes that is possible, just sadly not in this case.

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
« Reply #201 on: 23 March 2011, 22:57 »
Cracking work guys :afro:

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #202 on: 23 March 2011, 23:26 »
Well done boys... was getting worried as it's been quiet here for a while, good to see you're back on it despite being ill and rough as fook.....shame you had to stop when you did......... I feel guilty as I suggested this setup didn't I?  :lipsrsealed: Although I didn't pack the box!

Look forward to parking next to you soon!  :wink:

Is it at all possible, I mean I know they are the wrong springs but is it possible that lowering "sports" springs could be a lot shorter but compress less, thus only lowering it 35mm?

Stiffer springs kinda thing?  :huh:

shaun... how much rubbing do you get at the front on full lock with this set up?

Yes that is possible, just sadly not in this case.

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #203 on: 23 March 2011, 23:31 »
I haven't got this setup, I had it once on my previous MK1 and I had no rubbing at all, Wheel/Tyre Combo was a set of RA's with 195/45 rubber, why, have you got rubbing issue?... whats you wheel tyre combo? Is your camber OK?

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #204 on: 23 March 2011, 23:35 »
I haven't got this setup, I had it once on my previous MK1 and I had no rubbing at all, Wheel/Tyre Combo was a set of RA's with 195/45 rubber, why, have you got rubbing issue?... whats you wheel tyre combo? Is your camber OK?

camber is on max negative at the moment... just to get the wheels on

can't remember the wheel tyre combo... I am sure chuff can oblige when he sees this... will save me a 2 hour round trip to look it up

wheels are le castellets

however... there was only one little instance of rubbing... and a mystery rattle to be investigated

Shaun... have you done a gear linkage kit on a mk1?

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #205 on: 23 March 2011, 23:52 »
Max neg may be your issue then at the moment (depending on where it's catching), especially if you're running a profile of 50 or more.  worth a look to see where it's catching if it's bad.  May also be worth waiting until you've got the camber right, mines much lower at the moment but with 45s on, nothing is rubbing anywhere but camber is set at 0 whilst not on the road.

Can't help with the rattle with little info.

YES... YES I have, on all my Mk1's... one job I've always despised. You may not have noticed but my project thread is always in line with dub rides now so it's easier to read as it's only 10 pages. Link by my sig.

I posted the gear stuff on page 4 but its not a guide.  If you have questions though by all means fire away.  There is only one or two bits that can be a real pig.

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #206 on: 24 March 2011, 00:24 »
Max neg may be your issue then at the moment (depending on where it's catching), especially if you're running a profile of 50 or more.  worth a look to see where it's catching if it's bad.  May also be worth waiting until you've got the camber right, mines much lower at the moment but with 45s on, nothing is rubbing anywhere but camber is set at 0 whilst not on the road.

Can't help with the rattle with little info.

YES... YES I have, on all my Mk1's... one job I've always despised. You may not have noticed but my project thread is always in line with dub rides now so it's easier to read as it's only 10 pages. Link by my sig.

I posted the gear stuff on page 4 but its not a guide.  If you have questions though by all means fire away.  There is only one or two bits that can be a real pig.

thank you... I think you are right about the neg camber

the rattle might just be something that needs tightening up.. or it could just be a random in car thing that I haven't heard or noticed before as I was deafened and shaken to bits by the previous old suspension (did Chuff mention one of the rear springs was broken completely in two?)

do you have somewhere that you go to to get that linkage kit from... I bought one aaaages ago but it wasn't as complete as that. I have looked at this thread before http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=44 which filled me with dread (which is why I haven't done it).. but no so much now  :smiley:

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #207 on: 24 March 2011, 11:55 »
NO, didn't know about your broken spring... I had that once on my previous MK1 on the front, didn't know until the MOT man told me! Springs were old though and at the time it was the reason I upgraded to what you have now.

I’m guessing you have a kit that looks like this:

which does cover the worst worn bushes but I found on the first car I did that the ball joints of the linkages weren't that great, the clips for them were shot and the main ball/bush for the selector was pretty fooked too so wanted to replace the lot.  The same was with my black one.

Crazy's sell it all but not as a complete kit and obviously not as cheaply as what I got.  I found everything sold as one kit on egay for about 25 notes delivered, they come and go so you have to look out for them if you want to save a few quid. None on there at the moment.

Using crazy's as an example or if you choose to get it from them, you need the following which can be found on THIS page

They sell the basic bush with the short and long links included for about 18 quid delivered

Listed as Basic Bush and Link Kit GLBK+ GLSL + GLLL

You will also need the selector Bush and Ball kit which stupidly comes with bushes that you get with the above!

Listed as Bush and Ball Kit

And after writing all that I just found you the complete kit for £22 delivered!  :angry:  :grin: HERE

Tip for you, MK1s and 2's don’t have much of a smooth feel in the selector when changing gears compared to a modern car, so I recommend you find yourself a shift weight from a mk3 and replace the short link with it.  I have one, just not fitted it yet but had one on the previous golf and was so much nicer.

Found a couple HERE as an example but they come with other mk3 bits you don't need so keep an eye out unless you just bite the bullet and buy one of these and bin the other bits.  After a bit of searching I found a weight on it's own for about £6... maybe try a scrappy?

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: 24 March 2011, 15:32 by SoundillusioN »

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #208 on: 24 March 2011, 15:28 »
Shaun... that is an awesome post. thank you :afro:

I will get that set from the bay.. thats a great price!  :cool:

as for the shift rod weight... I might try and look at A1 scrappy up the road... are they easy to take out?

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
« Reply #209 on: 24 March 2011, 15:39 »
and the springs ?