Author Topic: Guy's mk1 Rivage  (Read 104859 times)

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
Re: Guy's mk1 Rivage
« Reply #80 on: 29 June 2009, 18:51 »
just got to polish n wax it then  :rolleyes:

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #81 on: 29 June 2009, 18:56 »
just got to polish n wax it then  :rolleyes:

yes... now where did i put my sponge?  :rolleyes:

Offline louis_23

• Here all the time
« Reply #82 on: 05 July 2009, 00:33 »
i never ust to like these but they've grown on me and this one looks very nice makes me like them more  :cool:

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #83 on: 12 July 2009, 22:33 »
wow... what a day

replaced front and back plates for pressed plates

then popped over to see rubjonny today as he said he would be able to help with the stuck alternator bolt... tbh I wasn't holding out much hope but after a couple of goes he figured out a work around and managed to complete the following...

replaced:

alternator belt
alternator bolt
cam belt
cam belt tensioner
water pump
thermostat
front flang O ring (unfortunately the flange cracked upon refitting)
side flange
checked timing after removing radiator to free up dizzy

rewired radio to actually work when the car does  :rolleyes:

i am indebted to rubjonny big time for his help, he has done so much to get the rivage running sweet as a nut

today was the first day when i actually felt like i wasn't driving an old wreck and was driving something that was approaching a semi-decent motor

so when i got back i cleaned and then dyed the hood (and most of me by the looks of things)

I tidied up the boot, sorted out a rear light cluster fitting, made the boot side cards fit, refitted the rear shelf, adjusted the back seat so that it wasn't moving about at all, removed an old sticker mark on the rear screen.

resecured the drivers side door arm, this time hopefully for good, although I have a sneaky suspicion that it will fall off again!  :laugh:

i found an old set of mats I remember I had put by for a rainy day, cleaned them up and fitted them, then worked on cleaning the dash and interior plastics

tomorrow... if I can I will try and breathe some life into the current excuse for a carpet (although I might do this after bugjam so I don't get too precious at the show) and I will be off to order a few bits from vw - never know... i might even take some pichers  :wink:

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
« Reply #84 on: 12 July 2009, 22:36 »
glad its getting there guy, :afro: still gutted I couldnt assist you further.

Still at least ya washers work again and ya dash is secured  :wink:

Offline gibby

• Forum addict
  • Champions of Europe,ooh ,just the five times then!
« Reply #85 on: 12 July 2009, 22:40 »
Driver side door, is it the stupid little white plastic things that keep coming off ? The white bits that the screws go into and they go into the door itself ? If so then just get some new ones, I got some new ones from http://www.gpcvwaudi.co.uk/ if they still do them. I tried all sorts for ages to get them to fix back in but in the end it was solved by the new white plastic bits. Had loads of agro and I think they cost about 50p !
......now officially dubless.

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #86 on: 12 July 2009, 22:52 »
glad its getting there guy, :afro: still gutted I couldnt assist you further.

Still at least ya washers work again and ya dash is secured  :wink:

ahh sh!tbox  :laugh:  sorry... i forgot to mention your efforts on friday - thank you!

as for being gutted... don't be.. I think unless you knew mk1's inside out and all the bolt positions you didn't stand a chance.. even my regular mechanic just wanted to just shear the bolt via the bracket

Driver side door, is it the stupid little white plastic things that keep coming off ? The white bits that the screws go into and they go into the door itself ? If so then just get some new ones, I got some new ones from http://www.gpcvwaudi.co.uk/ if they still do them. I tried all sorts for ages to get them to fix back in but in the end it was solved by the new white plastic bits. Had loads of agro and I think they cost about 50p !

yep... its the small white plastic things... they don't sit very well in the door at all... had the door car off completely this afternoon trying to find a permanent fix to it... thanks for the heads up on the replacement :afro:

Offline gibby

• Forum addict
  • Champions of Europe,ooh ,just the five times then!
« Reply #87 on: 12 July 2009, 23:02 »
yep... its the small white plastic things... they don't sit very well in the door at all... had the door car off completely this afternoon trying to find a permanent fix to it... thanks for the heads up on the replacement :afro:

Don't bother trying to find a fix. Take it from me, just buy some new ones (if you can still get them) as the old ones will never hold the door handle on the same again. I spent ages trying to make the old ones work. Never happened. New ones fixed it in two minutes.
......now officially dubless.

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #88 on: 12 July 2009, 23:05 »

Don't bother trying to find a fix. Take it from me, just buy some new ones (if you can still get them) as the old ones will never hold the door handle on the same again. I spent ages trying to make the old ones work. Never happened. New ones fixed it in two minutes.

I will... actually it is funny you should mention GPC as I need some bits from them  :wink: :cool:

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #89 on: 14 July 2009, 12:14 »
well front flange is proper fcuked now... pissing out water at a rate of knots = undriveable - new part ordered and will be in, hopefully, by tomorrow

gear linkage bush is also buggered (read missing)... need to pick one up from GSF and fit... anyone done this to a mk1 and is it easy?