Author Topic: mk4 gtiT knocking noise  (Read 4580 times)

Offline Starry

• GTI forum regular
  • http://planetweed.co.uk
mk4 gtiT knocking noise
« on: 13 January 2004, 16:55 »
 i am getting a knocking noise from the front suspension. i have changed the anti roll bar bushes.and have also fitted a kit which moves the anti r b away from the drive shaft, but i am still getting it, any ideas would be good.
Cheers Starry. ;)
1.8T 200bhp/237lbft.r32 F/BUMPER/ MILLTEK TURBO BACK,WITH HI-FLOW CAT/REVO/BAILY DV30/FRONT MOUNT I/C

kniterider

Re:mk4 gtiT knocking noise
« Reply #1 on: 13 January 2004, 17:22 »
knackered shocker maybe?? check every thing tight but thats all it can be surely!! or worn ball joint on wishbone

Offline S11EPS

• I live here
  • No golfs here. Only a C63 mercedes
« Reply #2 on: 13 January 2004, 17:28 »
What sort of mielage has the car done dude?

The greatest leveller of them all - the Carousel

Offline Terminator

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 13 January 2004, 18:05 »
Worn wheel bearings can also produce a knocking noise.

GTi PD150, Revo'd, Hasta La Vista!

Offline SunnyP

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 14 January 2004, 09:19 »
I get the same from mine too, and more recently it creaks occasionally when I'm taking a sharp right turn at speed....I've been told it's probably the wheel bearing too....these cars are crap! Wish I'd have kept my Nissan 200sx, I had that for 2 years and not a single problem, with this, had it 1 month and had the leaking rear wash wipe, the knocking noise, brakes not working properly, all manor of creaks from inside the cabin....vw buiild quality my ar*e! >:( >:(

Offline Terminator

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 14 January 2004, 09:35 »
Mine was creaking when the weight was transferring front to rear or side to side. The creaking appeared to be coming from the inside of the front doors. It went back to dealers on several occasions during which they replaced the strike plates which did not cure the problem. Eventually they took the interior trim off both doors and lubricated all moving parts and trim hooks/studs with silicon grease. This has cured the problem. I suspect quality control at Wolfsburg maybe suspect.

GTi PD150, Revo'd, Hasta La Vista!

Offline Starry

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 14 January 2004, 20:23 »
good to see im not on my own ;) the cars done 50k ill have to check all the above and see how it go's...
1.8T 200bhp/237lbft.r32 F/BUMPER/ MILLTEK TURBO BACK,WITH HI-FLOW CAT/REVO/BAILY DV30/FRONT MOUNT I/C

Offline Gt-tdi

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 16 January 2004, 11:49 »
ello all, ive got the exact problem you describe and so does my mate with a 1.8T. I think its a major common fault. ive changed ball joints and C.V joints but no luck. I still dont know what it is! >:(
TDI = economy and FAST!!

Offline Starry

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 16 January 2004, 16:10 »
Happy days ;D
All sorted now  i used the adjustable things that a brought from c&r i had to play around with them for a while but all good now. they work by moving the anti roll bar away from the driveshaft. they where ?80 to the door but a good buy it would seem.

kniterider

« Reply #9 on: 16 January 2004, 21:20 »
mines been dropped 40mm ive had no noises but when i painted me calipers in the week i noticed a 'line of rust' round my offside drive shaft similar to that on a pic garym posted a fewdays back, i wonder if my drive shaft is catching on my roll bar ??? its thhe only way i can see this ring of paint to be missing from the drive shaft!!can you take any picks of the items you bought starry and post em on here?? front back and side profiles??? i wourk in and enigineering firm so im sure i can manufacture me own!!!! ;D