Author Topic: What' s the deffrence bewteen koni coilovers & koni street sports kits?  (Read 1704 times)

Offline jazz_qwerty

• Just got here
Hello all,

Im new to all this, so please excuse me - ok about to get a 2000 GTI 1.8 Turbo, what I'd like to do is slap on some 19" wheels and some konis, sport kit or coilovers???

I'm a bit confused as to what type I would need - I dont really want to lower the car so that every time i drive over bumps etc.. my car will shudder ( like my brother punto turbo with 18" wheels)

Basically I'd like my golf to look its best (lowered etc...) but I dont want to have the headache of having to drive more cautiously like me bro does in his, although his car does look good. I dont think its worth the headache - I'm told koni would make a huge improvment. but its funny really, every car i've been in thats been lowered seem to be more of bumpy ride with allsorts of noises coming out the car when its not on smooth roads.

any info on this will greatly welcomed

jazz ???

Offline jazz_qwerty

• Just got here
okay - just saw Burnsy post - I take it that coilovers are better - are there any info on the web? (from novice point)

still not that clear on these konis - also where are the cheapest available on the new - everything i see tends to be from the US

cheers

jazz :)

Offline GaryM

• GTI forum regular
  • Gary
I have Koni coilovers on mine, try Awesome GTI - I think they are around ?595+VAT, I had them in their Xmas special for ?525+VAT  ;D
Just prepare yourself for the possibility of needing a revised front ARB - Im getting either a H&R or Neuspeed fitted this Saturday at Awesome due to the ARB hitting the driveshaft when I go too low.

2003 (53) GTI 180  | Custom Code Phase1 remap (JBS)  | Click for photo's and spec

Offline Terminator

• Not said much yet
If you are not fussed about lowering go for the koni sports. These are just shocks but the front ones are adjustable using a plastic wheel which you put on the top of the shocks via the engine compartment. Turning the wheel adjusts the stiffness. These shocks are yellow in colour (Koni do several different types)and are very good. I had them fitted to my Saab Aero which I used to take to trackdays and they made a big difference. These will be cheaper than coilovers.

GTi PD150, Revo'd, Hasta La Vista!