Author Topic: Mk4 Buying tips  (Read 2744 times)

Offline kster

• Just got here
Mk4 Buying tips
« on: 06 January 2004, 11:03 »
Hi all, I've been browsing your forum for a week or so (it's excellent, btw) since deciding to buy a MKIV - probably a TDI. I have a few questions (sorry if these have been covered elsewhere already...). I'm looking at PD 130/150s and would like to know: is there really much of a difference in performance? Is it worthwhile holding out to find a PD150 - I can't find one anywhere (live in N.Ireland)?
Second question is: as the dealer prices over here are seriously high, what should I look for when tyre-kicking private sellers? Any common faults/things to look closely at?
Thanks for any answers and hopefully this will lead to getting my hands on one soon......
cheers
K

kniterider

Re:Mk4 Buying tips
« Reply #1 on: 06 January 2004, 12:06 »
usual things to look for, high milege (worn seat bolsters, worn pedal rubbers and shiney steering wheel)these are fine if the car has high milege but if low with these tell tail signs then walk away!!, Crash damge/poor repair badly fitting panels etc. then when talking to seller ask if theyve had any of the common mk4 probs; window regulator failing,(windows falling into door) and if so was it repaired with new 'metal' clips or plastic again (if plastic will fail again in the future!!), rear washer pipe leaking prob?? (can cause stains to headling, interior etc and set off alarm in water gets inside near boot latch) these are just a few 'questions' to ask!! if i think of any more ill add em!! hope you find a pd 130/150 soon!!!  as for figures these below are from vw brochure!!

pd gti 130

front wheel drive, 6 speed box,
max power 130bhp/96 kw
max torque 228 lbs.ft/310Nm
top speed 127mph
0-62 mph 9.6 seconds
insurance group 14

pd gti 150

front wheel drive,6 speed box,
max power 150bhp/110 kw
max torque 236 lbs.ft/320Nm
top speed 134mph
0-62 mph 8.6 seconds
insurance group 14

hope this of some help!!

Offline kster

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 06 January 2004, 12:42 »
Cheers mate, I'll keep an eye out for those....

As for the performance, I was really wondering whether this is hugely noticeable at the wheel (s'pose the only thing to do is go drive them both....).

Thing is, I'm picturing myself only able to find private PD130s - seems a shame to lose performance as they're both in the same insurance group and I can't see running costs being too different....has anyone driven both who can give an opinion?

Also - as for chipping  a PD130 (which could be a good way around all this), does anyone have knowledge of anywhere in N. Ireland which does this?

cheers
k

kniterider

« Reply #3 on: 06 January 2004, 12:46 »
im sure some one on here has got one or the other and/or drove em both!! i couldnt tell yas matey though as mines a petrol, as for dealers try revotecknic on the links(botton of home page,not furm homepage) type in your address and the nearest dealer will come up!! these do remaps etc of the ecu to up power!! you could email them and ask them what power gains are available for each model etc!!

Offline Terminator

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 06 January 2004, 21:48 »
If you decide on the 130, make sure it has the factory fitted sports suspension (dampers and springs), which are fitted as standard to the 150 and make a massive difference to ride and handling (no more vomiting kids)! I have driven both the 130 and 150 and you will notice the difference in performance, particularly on acceleration through the gears. The 150 will always have better residuals due to its scarcity factor. The Revo software download makes a big difference to performance, particularly torque and is well worth the expense. Have you considered sourcing your car this side of the water for greater choice?

GTi PD150, Revo'd, Hasta La Vista!

Offline red16v

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 07 January 2004, 17:18 »
Not much that I can add except to say that I have recently bought a 150TDI after 11 years in a Mk2 16v. The improvement in the overall driving 'experience' is quite dramatic in my opinion. I cannot recommend the 150 high enough and although I have not driven a 130 I would tend to agree that it is probably worth seeking one out as it is perhaps likely to become one of 'the' classic mk4 models.

Have you tried the main VW www site and looked to see whats' available at dealerships etc? - they are desperate to get rid of them now - I certainly got a bargain (8month old, 10kmiles/ exchanged my 16v +?15500 cash - all for a car that was worth ?21k 8 months ago !) Look out for chipped headlamp assemblies (expensive to replace) good luck. regards, yt.

Offline number_six

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 08 January 2004, 23:43 »
I've just swapped my:

X plate 3 Dr Indigo Blue MK4 1.8T GTI  (Approx. 22,000 Miles)

for a:

Y Plate 5 Dr Indigo Blue MK4 1.8T GTI (Approx. 31,000 Miles)

Because:

My wife and I are expecting our first little one this year  ;D ;D ;D

And she wanted a car with doors at the back to make it easier, which I can fully understand and agree with.  But It was a bit sad going to see about swapping the car.

Went to the VW garage today and there was an identical one to mine but in 5dr, same blue Recaro seats too.

The 5dr is a few months newer but higher milage.  (I'm lucky as I don't do much milage travelling around, only do about 4 to 5 K a year)

It's costing me a grand to exchange it, dealer guy initially said it would be ?1600, but then he went to see his manager and came back with ?1200 but I wouldn'd budge and in the end he gave in and accepted a grand to swap cars.

They're getting a good deal, but do you think I am?  I test drove the car and it seemed pretty much the same to drive, it is very tidy (small dent on the bonnet but told them to remove it) and the service is due in May, but I asked them to service it and they said they'd give it a twelve month service now.

So I'm a bit fed up having to fork out a grand but I don't think I've done too badly, but what do you experts think?

Cheers

Offline number_six

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 08 January 2004, 23:48 »
Also meant to ask, what are people preferences? 3dr or 5dr?

Offline antgti

• Here all the time
  • 130PD Gti with Van aaken chip to 165 has now gone,
« Reply #8 on: 09 January 2004, 03:14 »
3 dr all day long!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Me old diesel was quick/........

16.004 sec Qtr mile @ 85mph 23/5/04 Santa Pod

Now running around in soon to be REVO'd Seat ibiza 1.8T 20v FR and missing the fuel economy..............

Offline kster

• Just got here
« Reply #9 on: 09 January 2004, 09:04 »
Thanks for all of the answers folks. I'm still digging around in Autotrader/local papers (altho' tonight is the main night for car ads so fingers crossed...).
Can I ask a quick question just to determine if it's where I live which is causing the lack of cars/high prices:
In your area, what would you expect to get for around ?10K? Am I being unrealistic here in hoping for a decent TDI PD130 example for that amount??