Author Topic: Performance Pack or not??!!!!  (Read 8636 times)

Offline JP2021

• Not said much yet
Re: Performance Pack or not??!!!!
« Reply #40 on: 19 April 2021, 17:24 »
Assuming all is working fine on the car and no visible leaks, should I change the water pump and anything else? Speaking to a mechanic at a local VW garage (cheeky, put just popped into the parts department to ask), he confirmed the MK7 PP has a timing chain and also mentioned if the water pump isn't leaking, leave it as it isn't on the maintenance schedule? Now you have me thinking about the heater matrix, didn't check that on the test drive, how would I know if it's shot? Also, any idea of cost to replace a clutch and front disc and pads, just looking at general maintenance costs? I did notice whilst in the dealership there's a deal on pre-paid maintenance plans, £440.00 for 2 years, one being a minor and the other a major service, sound like a good deal?

Offline Agreeable Slick

• Global Moderator
  • Serious forum addict
  • Unit
« Reply #41 on: 19 April 2021, 18:06 »
Heater matrix is pretty obvious really.

I would recommend checking the expansion tank for "Mit Silikat" writing on it. If it has that then make sure your silica bag is still in one piece, and consider either removing it, or replacing the expansion tank with one without the silica bag. It's these splitting that screw the matrix etc up.

Didn't see what year your car was but the 340mm discs run around £90 per disc (After discounts), pads are about £50, then labour on top.
Clutch was around £600 last time I looked (long time ago).

I don't put much stock in service plans personally as they do next to nothing that a competent person can't do on their drive and at a lower cost. Good for a stamp in the book, not much else.

Offline baka

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #42 on: 19 April 2021, 18:16 »
I bought my 14' PP last year and had the VAQ serviced at VW when it went in for a major service.

There was no record of it ever being done and with the car at 77k, I thought I should.

I asked them to do it specifically, I don't know if they would of otherwise. But no one mentioned anything or questioned it when I asked.

I've got the bill somewhere if you want me to check how much it was.

Offline JP2021

• Not said much yet
« Reply #43 on: 19 April 2021, 19:52 »
Many thanks for the idea of costs re maintenance, and I'll certainly check that the vents in the car get nice and toasty before final payment!

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #44 on: 19 April 2021, 22:33 »
Not just hot, check it goes cold too!

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline JP2021

• Not said much yet
« Reply #45 on: 20 April 2021, 04:49 »
Is it an easy job to take out the 'silica bag', or is it a job for a garage?

Offline madstaff

• I live here
« Reply #46 on: 20 April 2021, 08:53 »
From what i have read getting the bag out is not too bad, the danger is rupturing the bag whilst doing so.

People either clamp the hoses off to prevent the contents of the bag entering the cooling system, and if the bag splits just flush the header tank out with plenty of water.

Or clamp the pipes off and remove the header tank altogether and fish the bag out in the kitchen sink, refit and top up the coolant level.
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline Agreeable Slick

• Global Moderator
  • Serious forum addict
  • Unit
« Reply #47 on: 20 April 2021, 10:04 »
I'd definitely do the latter just to be safe. If you have a syphon tube then I'd drain the tank first before removing, It also means you can be a bit more free in the access you have.

I've read that the G13 coolant isn't as strong as it once was, so when you top up I'd add a neater ratio to the tank to ensure the corrosive protection is up to scratch.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #48 on: 20 April 2021, 10:17 »
@JP2021; also bear in mind that the silicate bag is meant to prolong the protective properties of the coolant so it lasts ‘for life’ and never needs changing (that’s according to VW). By removing that bag, it would be necessary to renew the coolant periodically (every 3-4 years?) to ensure it provides the appropriate level of protection.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #49 on: 20 April 2021, 11:16 »
by "protection" do you mean anti-freeze?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC