Author Topic: Moving from a 7.5 GTI to 7 Ed40?  (Read 2612 times)

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: Moving from a 7.5 GTI to 7 Ed40?
« Reply #20 on: 06 June 2022, 18:21 »
I also saw someone that put a clubsport wing on their TCR as it really sold it for me...

I always thought the CS had a different tailgate to a GTI, so fitting a CS spoiler on another model may not be as so straightforward as it sounds??
correct, it's an entire boot lid replacement.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline madstaff

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 06 June 2022, 18:28 »
I also saw someone that put a clubsport wing on their TCR as it really sold it for me...

I always thought the CS had a different tailgate to a GTI, so fitting a CS spoiler on another model may not be as so straightforward as it sounds??

Think it's a tailgate off a base model Golf IIRC??
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 06 June 2022, 19:03 »
Apparently so, I would love to hear someone from VW explain why they did that, choosing not to design the CS spoiler around the GTi tailgate? :)

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 06 June 2022, 20:37 »
Apparently so, I would love to hear someone from VW explain why they did that, choosing not to design the CS spoiler around the GTi tailgate? :)

Did the CS spoiler not need a flatter section to mount the middle piece of the spoiler hence the standard golf lid? Could purely be aerodynamic flow though, that the gti one interrupts the flow of the CS spoiler.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 06 June 2022, 20:39 »

Think it's a tailgate off a base model Golf IIRC??

Standard golf tailgate, CS glass because it's tinted then the spoiler from memory it runs people about £2.5k to do, only seen it done twice.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #25 on: 07 June 2022, 20:04 »
I'd like the DCC as it's an option I've never had before but I'd be interested to hear why you wouldn't take it?

Too squishy in comfort and too ready to transfer weight onto the outside front wheel when turning gently (albeit briefly) which didn’t match the stiff(ish) springs. It improved when driving quite hard but I don’t get to drive like that very often.
Setting it to its firmest setting was a bit too firm, it felt like running 50psi in the front tyres at times.

What sealed its fate for me was when I had a back injury and it would cause me agony at times when hitting a dual carriageway or motorway expansion joint where the dampers didn’t react quick enough to the jolt.

Everyone else seems to think it’s the best thing since sliced bread so I’d advise a good test drive before making up your mind. You might love it!
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline oryx3dr

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #26 on: 07 June 2022, 21:05 »
I'd like the DCC as it's an option I've never had before but I'd be interested to hear why you wouldn't take it?

Too squishy in comfort and too ready to transfer weight onto the outside front wheel when turning gently (albeit briefly) which didn’t match the stiff(ish) springs. It improved when driving quite hard but I don’t get to drive like that very often.
Setting it to its firmest setting was a bit too firm, it felt like running 50psi in the front tyres at times.

What sealed its fate for me was when I had a back injury and it would cause me agony at times when hitting a dual carriageway or motorway expansion joint where the dampers didn’t react quick enough to the jolt.

Everyone else seems to think it’s the best thing since sliced bread so I’d advise a good test drive before making up your mind. You might love it!

That all seems to make sense to me tbh. I'm a bit of a tinkerer myself so I'd likely be changing to some lowering springs anyway so I'm kind of numb to the harshness that you describe. Although I think the comfort settings is interesting, I can imagine what you mean though. My parents have a Skoda Superb and it's almost like it floats which is what I am imagining it to feel like.
Current - 2020 Black Golf GTI Performance Pack DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Climate Windscreen, Brescia's
Sold - 2017 MK7 Oryx White 3dr GTI
Sold - 2019 Up GTI

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #27 on: 08 June 2022, 09:40 »
Just to add perspective, with the stiffer springs fitted to mk7 CS & 7.5 TCR, DCC works well with 19" wheels on a Golf!

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 08 June 2022, 11:30 »
DCC doesn't actually appeal to be to be honest, I've never found 19s that hard I found 18s on bridgestones the hardest. I'd only want the performance pack for the Reifnitz, but even then it's not a deal breaker as I'd just buy some BBS' again or as most of you would know with my gti change alloys 5 times in a year...

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #29 on: 08 June 2022, 11:41 »
DCC doesn't actually appeal to be to be honest, I've never found 19s that hard I found 18s on bridgestones the hardest. I'd only want the performance pack for the Reifnitz, but even then it's not a deal breaker as I'd just buy some BBS' again or as most of you would know with my gti change alloys 5 times in a year...

Will, have you tried 19"s on a CS or TCR, they have upgraded, as in slightly stiffer springs than a regular GTi.
Dcc certainly seems desirable for many buyers, VW even fitted it to the CS-S as standard equipment, what were they thinking? :)

DCC is not the be all & end all of suspension, it's nice to have some adjutability, personally I would say a high end coilover suspension would be better, but that was not offered by VW and is a fairly niche aftermarket modifocation among the whole of GTI owners.