Author Topic: mirrors  (Read 7266 times)

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
Re: mirrors
« Reply #30 on: 10 July 2013, 08:48 »
If they did open and close with the locks only, there would be no chance of draining the battery. If the battery is getting too low, the car will go into "economy mode" and stop operating the mirrors without the engine running, just like when turns the radio and interior lights off.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
« Reply #31 on: 10 July 2013, 09:42 »
Since my car doesn't "beep" when it is locked/alarmed if I am in a noisy environment, basically anywhere around town, I can't hear the click of the door locks engaging.  I always look to confirm the mirrors are folding in.

So yeah mirrors should fold on lock/unlock not ignition.  100%.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #32 on: 10 July 2013, 12:07 »

What if you have had to park with the near side really, really close to a wall or post? So close that you have needed to fold the mirror in to get it there. When you come back and unlock the car, what will happen?
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
« Reply #33 on: 10 July 2013, 12:21 »

What if you have had to park with the near side really, really close to a wall or post? So close that you have needed to fold the mirror in to get it there. When you come back and unlock the car, what will happen?

I can't imagine why you'd ever do that.  For the sake of what, 1-2 inches?  You'd risk hitting the wall just manoeuvring.  Anyway, unless you intend to roll the car in and out of this space then you'll hit the wall when you start the ignition and the mirrors fold anyway!

I'm not sure what my current car does.  I can manually fold the mirrors (then park in a crazy position) but I don't know if the lock/unlock would then override this or not.  If you really want to park like this then you'd need a car menu option that would override the lock/unlock or the ignition triggered folding.  Either way you'll need one of these.

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #34 on: 10 July 2013, 12:25 »

I don't know on the mk7, but on the mk6 if you had manually folded in the mirrors using the knob on the driver's door you would have to manually turn it back again to get them to fold out - so presumably if you've left it in the 'fold in' setting even when you turn the key on they won't come down unless you turn the knob.

Personally, I'd leave it in 'Auto' mode otherwise you'll be driving off with your mirrors still up, which I did on numerous occasions!
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
« Reply #35 on: 10 July 2013, 12:32 »
Personally, I'd leave it in 'Auto' mode otherwise you'll be driving off with your mirrors still up, which I did on numerous occasions!

Yep, been there, done that!  Haha.

Normally I don't notice until I use the indicator and find it is flashing in my face!  Shows how much I use the mirrors... :embarrassed:

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #36 on: 10 July 2013, 12:35 »

Yep, been there, done that!  Haha.

Normally I don't notice until I use the indicator and find it is flashing in my face!  Shows how much I use the mirrors... :embarrassed:

I always used to pride myself on looking in my mirrors - until I used to forget to fold them down, sometimes I wouldn't realise for nearly 10 mins  :lipsrsealed: :shocked:
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....