Author Topic: Shortlist  (Read 1484 times)

Offline Camshaft

• Just got here
Shortlist
« on: 06 July 2013, 19:51 »
Hi

Got my GTD on order and loving reading the reviews linked here and the more recent real-life reviews posted by forum members!

I've done a quick search to see if this subject has been posted before and there was nothing obvious to me but bear with the newbie if mistaken..

I was just wondering what other cars were on forum members' shortlist before deciding on the mk7 gtd or gti.

Aside from the general class of vehicle size-wise, my criteria was for the car - which is a company car that I'll be doing 25k + annual miles in - to have low emissions and fuel economy, whilst delivering a satisfying, sporty drive and reasonable perfomance.

I whittled it down to the a3 tdi, merc a class (200 or preferably 220), the gtd and my wild card the volvo v40 d4.

I had the a3 and the a200 for extended demonstrators and quickly ruled out the a3 (despite great interior quality) for sheer aesthetic plainness and unengaging drive/performance.

The A200 cdi turned up with the amg spec and night pack and looked pretty damned unreal to be fair. Kerb appeal in spades IMO, but the ride was simply too hard. So the harsh ride along with the narrow boot meant the a class was a steamy 6 day affair that was enjoyable and turned alot of heads moving and parked, but not something I could commit to live with for 3 years!

Test drove the v40 with the d3 engine in r design lux flavour. Classy motor and decent ride but slightly small boot and a body shape that I couldn't decide whether I liked or hated... In the end it was more the latter.

After weeks of relationship-threatening research  :wink: reading every brochure, every review and every forum on each of my shorlisted options, I concluded with head & heart that the gtd was the clear top choice and here I am waiting for a confirmed delivery date with the rest of you guys! Deciding factors included the reviews praising the quality of the ride with the ACC, the much lower cost of the optional extras which I wanted, along with the stealth look, and the performance figures etc. amongst many others. Really happy with my decision and can't wait to take delivery  :smiley:

Would be inerested to know what cars were on other member's shortlists, why you ruled them out and what made you go for the gti/gtd in the end?

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
Re: Shortlist
« Reply #1 on: 06 July 2013, 21:51 »
I dunno about Diesels...

For the GTI you got to look at the BMW M135i.  I ruled it out because of cost, wanting the GTI badge, and not liking the 1 series looks.  But, I should have given it a drive first I think.

I also ruled out the Focus ST because its interior is of lower quality, the exterior is a bit to showy, and the lower cost didn't compensate enough.  However, the Fiesta ST is much much cheaper and does a lot of the stuff a GTI will just as well.  There is more prestige on the GTI and a lot more room, but is that worth a 50% higher price?  I guess so, since I bought it! :smiley:

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 06 July 2013, 22:44 »
The 5 cylinder Diesel available with the Volvo is a great engine, the rest of the car is very OK, won't blow you away. Poor residuals on it make it a cracking nearly new buy (something the Golf is not - it's so dear on the used market, makes buying a new one so much more appealing). If you're buying a GTI for sheer thrills without a nod to practicality i'd probably go for the Fiesta ST or the Clio Renaultsport 200 instead (although that Clio is very expensive for what it is).
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Hawaii-Five-O

• I live here
  • Are we nearly there yet?
« Reply #3 on: 06 July 2013, 22:51 »
Welcome Camshaft  :smiley:

I was considering these:

a nearly new Audi A5 TDI / 2.0 TFSI (still love the shape)
a nearly new Audi TT TDI Quatro (still one of the most beautiful cars one our roads)
a nearly new BMW 320d M Sport (one of the best driving cars out there)
a nearly new BMW 125d M Sport (very, very potent but didn't love the looks)
a brand new BMW 123d M Sport Coupé (love the looks but getting old now)
a brand new Audi A3 1.8 TFSI S line S Tronic (never fully committed to this one)
or
a brand new Golf GTD DSG (wanted this car badly until I test drove the GTI)
or
a brand new Golf GTI DSG (stunning all rounder, smooth ride, powerful and an motoring icon)

Went for the GTI DSG in the end. Decision from the heart!
Current: BMW M140i / ZF8 / 5 DR
Past: MK7 GTI / DSG / WHITE / 5 DR

Offline Dully

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 06 July 2013, 23:18 »
I've been threatening to swap the wife's TT for over a year now and have gone through all sorts of choices in my head.

My personal problem is that I do loads of miles with work so will still continue to drive my mk5 Gt Sport 170 tdi most of the time so the replacement for the TT really needs to suit the mrs as well (she loves her TT!)

I wanted an A5 coupe or a new shape S3 but she loves golfs and to be honest there is nothing out there in the market that gives you a car the wife can go shopping in comfortably with the girls and at the flick of a button you can scratch around the back lanes with the boys.

I went for a GTI 3 door as the kids all have their own cars now, PP as its a lot of extra for little £, ACC (DDC) for additional comfort for the Asda run  :grin: and leather as Mrs D don't like the tartan  :laugh:

Can't wait for BW34 to pass and to get his thing here for a good thrashing (running in)

« Last Edit: 06 July 2013, 23:22 by Dully »
Driving - MK7 GTD, 5 Door, CSG, DSG, Santiago's