Author Topic: Confusion RE MPG  (Read 6535 times)

Offline Carbon VW

• Here all the time
Confusion RE MPG
« on: 06 July 2013, 02:50 »
I cannot understeland for the life of me why people who have ordered a GTI are worryying about Mpg?? I ordered my GTI to enjoy it to the max and not worry about fuel consumption ! There seems to be a lot of people on here who are worrying about the wrong thing ?? Am I the only one who thinks this way??  :whistle:  u order a GTI because you are a fan !!!
Mk7 CSG GTi 6MF Stage 1, CSS backbox

Offline Gryzor

• I live here
  • Go white, or go home!
Re: Confusion RE MPG
« Reply #1 on: 06 July 2013, 08:09 »
I cannot understeland for the life of me why people who have ordered a GTI are worryying about Mpg?? I ordered my GTI to enjoy it to the max and not worry about fuel consumption ! There seems to be a lot of people on here who are worrying about the wrong thing ?? Am I the only one who thinks this way??  :whistle:  u order a GTI because you are a fan !!!

Well said, and really, anybody worrying about MPG at all should question themsleves as to why they are spending so much money on a car in the first place.  I'm a Mk5 GTI onwer and Mk7 GTI buyer because it's from the heart, not the head!  Having said that, my mortgage just went down over £100 a month, so for me that's just free fuel!  :grin:
Pure White Mk7 GTI (5dr, Manual)

Options: Reverse Camera, Keyless, Adaptive Chasis, Climate Screen, Winter Pack, Discover Nav, Advanced Phone Prep

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 06 July 2013, 08:17 »
Some people might be buying one because there's no 220PS petrol car out there with better official mpg, it's extensive range of standard equipment and build quality rather than 3 letters in a badge. Not everyone buys the same car for the same reasons.

On the other hand of you're umming and ahhing on whether it'll do 36mpg or 40mpg then you probably should remeber the difference between the 2 is about £150 a year in fuelling, you'll be losing more than that on nearly every optional extra you spec. No point in buying a GTI if you're constantly watching the fuel gauge and driving it very softly to save the pennies.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline benjyyy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 06 July 2013, 08:26 »
If it did 15mpg would you still feel the same way?

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 06 July 2013, 08:48 »
We all like different things. I drive with an eye on fuel economy most of the time, but that shouldn't mean that I should be precluded from having a GTI, just because I won't drive it quickly that often.

I love my Mk2. It's a cracking car to drive, but it spends most of it's time in the garage. I get just as much pleasure out of looking at it and knowing it's mine, as I do driving it. Lots of people will tell me that's a waste of a car. But it's my car, and I'll do what I like with it, and I'll do exactly the same with my ED40 when I get that.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 06 July 2013, 13:12 »

I don't think i've read a post on this forum that says they are "worried" about fuel consumption? Interested yes.
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂

Offline Carbon VW

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 06 July 2013, 14:31 »
Jimble I just feel there are so many more interesting things to talk about than MPG on a GTI. If you are thinking about MPG then you need to start thinking GTD. Just my thoughts, don't mean to offend anyone.  :smiley: Great forum by the way and looking forward to everyone getting their new toys!!
Mk7 CSG GTi 6MF Stage 1, CSS backbox

Offline Hawaii-Five-O

• I live here
  • Are we nearly there yet?
« Reply #7 on: 06 July 2013, 14:45 »
Jimble I just feel there are so many more interesting things to talk about than MPG on a GTI. If you are thinking about MPG then you need to start thinking GTD. Just my thoughts, don't mean to offend anyone.  :smiley: Great forum by the way and looking forward to everyone getting their new toys!!

All part of the spice of life :wink:

You can't stop people talking about this subject. There will be more and more fascinating posts popping up as people receive their shiny new motors.

I think there are a fair few grumpy souls on here who privately resent folks talking about GTD's and diesel mpg etc, etc... VW have made the GTD/GTI so close now you gotta deal with it I'm afraid.
« Last Edit: 06 July 2013, 15:31 by Hawaii-Five-O »
Current: BMW M140i / ZF8 / 5 DR
Past: MK7 GTI / DSG / WHITE / 5 DR

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 06 July 2013, 14:52 »
Jimble I just feel there are so many more interesting things to talk about than MPG on a GTI. If you are thinking about MPG then you need to start thinking GTD. Just my thoughts, don't mean to offend anyone.  :) Great forum by the way and looking forward to everyone getting their new toys!!

No offence taken mate, people buy a GTI for many reasons a few of which have been pointed out already but even if you buy an Evo which most buy for performance you'll still get discussion about fuel consumption.

Welcome btw :afro:
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
« Reply #9 on: 06 July 2013, 16:00 »
If it did 15mpg would you still feel the same way?

If this was all it could do I wouldn't buy one.  I buy for fun yes, but not at any cost.  To me this is no different than the price tag.  If they were asking £40k I bet everyone of us would buy a M135i instead.  Why should mpg be treated differently?