Author Topic: Front Fog Lights  (Read 5392 times)

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
Re: Front Fog Lights
« Reply #20 on: 04 July 2013, 13:59 »
......I see loads of people with these on every day and they're not even as bright as the cars with DLRs.  They just look the same as side lights which most cars have on all day anyway.

They might be the DRLs. A lot of the skodas use the fog lights as DRL's as does the Passat and Polo I think.
I know there was an option in VAG.COM to enable DRL on the Golfs front fog lights. Obviously its not the full power though.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
« Reply #21 on: 04 July 2013, 14:18 »
......I see loads of people with these on every day and they're not even as bright as the cars with DLRs.  They just look the same as side lights which most cars have on all day anyway.

They might be the DRLs. A lot of the skodas use the fog lights as DRL's as does the Passat and Polo I think.
I know there was an option in VAG.COM to enable DRL on the Golfs front fog lights. Obviously its not the full power though.

Ah, I didn't know that.  I was actually looking out for what cars were doing it when I just went to get some lunch.  There were all kinds of cars with bright white LEDs where front fogs usually are but I saw 2 with the standard yellow tint lights and they were both Skoda.

If anything I find this more confusing though.  If some cars use the front fogs as DRLs then that would seem to be technically breaking the law.  Presumably they will just say "they aren't fog lights" which then begs the question how do you define a light as a fog light or not?  If the same light can be both then you can switch the definition at will.

You say they aren't at full brightness.  Do the government define a brightness level that designates a light as a fog light?  I'm sure they must have a brightness range all lights must conform to but is there a separate designation for fogs?  If there isn't a definition of what a fog light is, or if the definition is something vague such as "a light designed to be used in fog", then its not possible to prove that someone is using a fog light when they shouldn't be.

In any case, all the LED DRLs I saw were a lot lot brighter, so its hard to see how any fog light on the front could be considered inappropriate when other vehicles have much brighter LEDs in the same position.  If one is breaking the law why is the other not?  Or put another way, if DRLs are ok then there can't be anything wrong with using spots at the same or lower brightness.
« Last Edit: 04 July 2013, 14:24 by Bill_the_Bear »

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
« Reply #22 on: 04 July 2013, 18:54 »
I only ever use mine when necessary but the new GTI ones look pretty awesome!!!

Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂

Offline KyleB

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 04 July 2013, 19:13 »
They do look good like, but definitely shouldn't be on unless foggy.

Offline mac7

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 04 July 2013, 19:59 »
When you have DRL's down in the fog light area (eg. Skoda Superb, Passat) they are a separate 21W lamp unit, not the fog light which will use a different 55W bulb in a housing next to the DRL.

Personally I've never seen the problem driving with low mounted front fog lights on, as if they are aimed properly they won't dazzle - the beam pattern has been designed not to point much light upwards, which would scatter in fog. I know it's against the law, but it does puzzle me sometimes why people get so wound up about such things.

Rear fog lights on the other hand do annoy me. So I overtake and it's not a problem anymore.
Golf R

mjh_056

« Reply #25 on: 04 July 2013, 20:19 »
When you have DRL's down in the fog light area (eg. Skoda Superb, Passat) they are a separate 21W lamp unit, not the fog light which will use a different 55W bulb in a housing next to the DRL.

Personally I've never seen the problem driving with low mounted front fog lights on, as if they are aimed properly they won't dazzle - the beam pattern has been designed not to point much light upwards, which would scatter in fog. I know it's against the law, but it does puzzle me sometimes why people get so wound up about such things.

Rear fog lights on the other hand do annoy me. So I overtake and it's not a problem anymore.

Front fog lights is not an issue as the lights do not dazzle at all and actually aid in seeing a car so no issue here if they are shared in some way for day time lights.

But the rear ones are just plain annoying, dangerous even, as we all know they mimic braking - I really like the MK7 fogs but I also like the MK6 the real winners for me is the Bi Xenon with cornering!! Cannot wait for these given my own lights are so shockingly bad.

Offline Gordor

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #26 on: 04 July 2013, 21:44 »
Not foggy...fog lights off
The DRL's mean't that my A4 dash was always lit, even if the main lights were off...very handy.
Now... waiting at the roundabout entrance because some muppet won't indicate..now that's worth another thread  :smiley:

BTW...since that stink in the newspapers about getting fined for hogging the middle lane, less drivers doing this and therefore less congestion and quicker journey's imo
GTD Pure White : 19" Santiago's : Winter Pack : Dynaudio : Park Assist : High Beam Assist