Author Topic: Front Fog Lights  (Read 5391 times)

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
Front Fog Lights
« on: 04 July 2013, 12:33 »
Those illuminated fog light pics that were posted looked super cool.  Does anyone remember what the rules are in the UK about when you can and cannot use them?

I have a feeling it is when visibility is less than 100m, though that sounds rather subjective to me since no one has a 100m tape measure they can stop the car and use to check, visibility tends to be variable depending on the terrain so might be 50m some places and 150 others.  Also is this only for fog or mist, if its raining the visibility can easily be under 100m...?

Offline AAddict

• I live here
Re: Front Fog Lights
« Reply #1 on: 04 July 2013, 12:36 »
Police don't seem to bother anyone anymore, loads leave their front fogs on all the time. It used to be a pet hate of mine, but I'm mellowing.
Cancelled GTI, M135i beast mode.

Offline Golf7

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 04 July 2013, 12:37 »
You have way too much time on your hands Bill!!  :tongue:

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 04 July 2013, 12:37 »
Police don't seem to bother anyone anymore, loads leave their front fogs on all the time. It used to be a pet hate of mine, but I'm mellowing.

Its still a pet hate of mine!  If its not foggy/torrential rain then the fog lights shouldn't be on!  :angry:
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 04 July 2013, 12:39 »
I suppose with the proliferation of DRL's incorporated into most modern cars bumpers (be they LED or standard halogen), its difficult for plod to distinguish between the two ?
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline AAddict

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 04 July 2013, 12:40 »

Its still a pet hate of mine!  If its not foggy/torrential rain then the fog lights shouldn't be on!  :angry:

I used to drive round flashing my front fogs at anyone that had them on, and mouthing "You've got your FOG LIGHTS ON!" :grin:

It seems popular amongst a certain demographic to drive round town at night with side lights + front fogs on.
« Last Edit: 04 July 2013, 12:42 by AAddict »

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 04 July 2013, 12:43 »
I used to drive round flashing my front fogs at anyone that had them on, and mouthing "You've got your FOG LIGHTS ON!" :grin:

I still do this although there are a few extra words being mouthed, namely 'f7cking' 'c0ck' and 'you'

:smiley:
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
« Reply #7 on: 04 July 2013, 12:44 »

It seems popular amongst a certain demographic to drive round town at night with side lights + front fogs on.

Out of curiosity, why does it matter?  They want to be replacing their bulbs more frequently then let them right?

Jules Winfield

« Reply #8 on: 04 July 2013, 12:47 »
Yes, it's 100m/328ft. 

Highway Code on fog light usage:

https://www.gov.uk/driving-adverse-weather-conditions-226-to-237/fog-234-to-236

Some people don't seem to realise that it's all right to turn your fog lights on when it's foggy, but once conditions improve, you need to turn them off.  Still, not nearly as annoying with people who drive around with plates with illegal spacing or non-standard fonts (which just look sad and suggest the person has far too much money and is rather vain - personally, I don't care what your name is).

Driving around with fog lights on when not needed matter because they can dazzle and confuse.  You might think someone is flashing at you to let you in, but actually they're just stupid and don't know the rules of the road or how to use the controls on their car and are driving around with their fog lights on all the time.  You drive out, and they crash into you.

Offline AAddict

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 04 July 2013, 12:48 »

Out of curiosity, why does it matter?  They want to be replacing their bulbs more frequently then let them right?

It just used to annoy the hell out of me as it wasn't foggy and you get the feeling they were using them to say "Hey look, I have front fog lights". I used to work with a young boy-racer who actually referred to them as driving lamps on his 1.2 Corsa when I gave him stick about them.  :drool: