Author Topic: Real world fuel consumption GTI vs GTD  (Read 11905 times)

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
Re: Real world fuel consumption GTI vs GTD
« Reply #40 on: 05 July 2013, 00:23 »
45p a mile isn't all for fuel, it's for miles on the car and tyre wear, contribution towards having a service sooner because of those miles etc the whole cost of running a car. For me i'd be reimbursing myself 20p per mile for fuel with a GTI and saving 25p per mile to grow into a lump sum towards the next car when additional mileage accrued for business purposes eats into your p/x value (unless business miles are pretty small over the year).

I see that now, brings it down a little as some is for wear and tear - always had a card so never claimed so was not aware of that, another thing learnt :)

Personal minefield these days making a decision!

Was commuting Cambridge to Durham each week for a while and got 50p per mile back, mostly for depreciation.

Anyway, with the new variable cam timing the GTI should be able to make good use of high octane fuel to get better efficiency and performance.  From that article posted a while back it seems without this tech the high octane has less effect.

To the posts way back calculating GTI fuel cost vs GTD to assume 33mpg or similar for the GTI is loading the deck against it.  I'll get 40 minimum without driving all that sensibly or I'll eat my hat!  I get this on my current car which is much older, with a smaller engine, slightly worse efficiency and only 5 speed (I commute on A14 so the GTI will be much more suited to me, no more running my engine hard).

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
« Reply #41 on: 05 July 2013, 00:26 »
btw i would beware what you write on a public forum with regards to speeding....

Are you a copper James? :whistle:

Offline Gryzor

• I live here
  • Go white, or go home!
« Reply #42 on: 05 July 2013, 07:41 »
45p a mile isn't all for fuel, it's for miles on the car and tyre wear, contribution towards having a service sooner because of those miles etc the whole cost of running a car. For me i'd be reimbursing myself 20p per mile for fuel with a GTI and saving 25p per mile to grow into a lump sum towards the next car when additional mileage accrued for business purposes eats into your p/x value (unless business miles are pretty small over the year).

I know it's not all for fuel, it's for all you said.  Like I said though, in total I only do around 7 - 8k miles a year, so the "service" contribution from the apportioned business miles isn't that great, certainly not relative to what I put away in savings each month.
Pure White Mk7 GTI (5dr, Manual)

Options: Reverse Camera, Keyless, Adaptive Chasis, Climate Screen, Winter Pack, Discover Nav, Advanced Phone Prep

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
« Reply #43 on: 05 July 2013, 08:03 »
btw i would beware what you write on a public forum with regards to speeding....

Are you a copper James? :whistle:

Maybe....... :whistle:
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂