Author Topic: Real world fuel consumption GTI vs GTD  (Read 11904 times)

Offline matchboy

• I live here
Re: Real world fuel consumption GTI vs GTD
« Reply #10 on: 04 July 2013, 13:37 »
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Running Man

« Reply #11 on: 04 July 2013, 13:48 »
Get the GTI, it's a Hot Hatch :wink:

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 04 July 2013, 13:50 »
Gotta be getting 40mpg to be honest.

How on God's Earth would anyone get that sort of consumption out of a GTI?
Its a drivers car and the mk7 is higher geared than the mk5/6 so you'd drive it like a 5 speed car most of the time in the UK to make sure you're 'in the zone' at legal speeds.

I'm far from a boy racer but these cars are meant to be driven not nannied. 258lb ft of torque is just there to be used!!

30mpg I reckon.

280 lb ft on the GTD? 45 MPG maybe? and an aching left elbow if you use the thing to its full enjoyment factor.

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 04 July 2013, 13:52 »
You can do a comparison on the VW site that shows running costs etc between the 2
http://www.volkswagencomparison.co.uk
There are also sites online that allow you to compare running costs of cars if you put simple figures in.

HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 04 July 2013, 13:55 »

Its a drivers car and the mk7 is higher geared than the mk5/6 so you'd drive it like a 5 speed car most of the time in the UK to make sure you're 'in the zone' at legal speeds.

I'm far from a boy racer but these cars are meant to be driven not nannied. 258lb ft of torque is just there to be used!!

30mpg I reckon.

280 lb ft on the GTD? 45 MPG maybe? and an aching left elbow if you use the thing to its full enjoyment factor.

Agreed. Anyone expecting regular 40+ MPG from their GTI is completely deluded. Or intending to drive it like Miss Daisy.

My MK6 GTD averaged around 38-42 MPG but that was with a lot of short journeys and city driving - one of the main reasons I've opted away from diesel this time.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 04 July 2013, 14:00 »
I have to disagree chaps.  I drive hard (and I mean hard, ie. like its stolen - not dangerous or like a c0ck eg. up people's ar7es, but whenever there's an opportunity to nail it I will) and I used to get 33-35mpg on a 45 min run out of the mk6 every day.  So expecting 40mpg isn't beyond the realms of possibility.

Saying that, at the moment I get 23mpg if I'm lucky so even 30 will be good!  :laugh:
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline Thornster

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #16 on: 04 July 2013, 14:01 »

30mpg I reckon.

Agreed. Anyone expecting regular 40+ MPG from their GTI is completely deluded. Or intending to drive it like Miss Daisy.

My MK6 GTD averaged around 38-42 MPG but that was with a lot of short journeys and city driving - one of the main reasons I've opted away from diesel this time.

40mpg on the combined cycle will not be that difficult, BUT if your only doing short journeys then looking at the combined figure is pointless anyway as you'll be lucky to get mid 30's on shorted runs.

As everyone has said if mpg is a big factor in car choice then get the GTD (but be prepared to regret it!).
Oct 2013: GTI, DSG, 3 Door, Carbon Grey, DynAudio, Winter Pack, Discovery Navigation and Keyless Start
Jan 2018: Arteon R-Line, Atlantic Blue
Jan 2021: tbc!

Offline Diggz

• Just got here
« Reply #17 on: 04 July 2013, 14:28 »
Thats the thing, for the extra driving pleasure and the sake of a few quid I wouldnt want to regret not going for the GTI, tough call

Will be interesting to see how people are getting on once the orders start to arrive

mjh_056

« Reply #18 on: 04 July 2013, 14:45 »
Ok it is not a Golf but my 170BHP engine had me achieve 52MPG on mainly Motorway trip yesterday with some bursts of speed on M and A roads when opportunity to, if babying imagine near 60 MPG but that never going to happen! - Normal use is 45-50MPG and if pushing it around 40-45 MPG so unless the 184BHP is engine is worse which by figures provided it should not be (and Monkey comments on his Dad GTD) then I see that 60MPG as very reasonable and 50MPG my low figure which is not a lot of fuel for having some decent fun in :)

I agree with comments here that if doing low mileage and it is a private and not lease/company then GTI all the way as there will be a difference but not as much to justify not going for GTI.

Company drivers with incentives for C02 and likely with higher mileage then the performance/ecoonmy balance in GTD is a no brainer also.

Not going to dispute that GTI has real driver pleasure but GTD is in same suit and do not underestimate the power in day to day driving that it delivers - All I can say is my present is far from a slouch and when pushed brings smiles every time so yes I might lose a drag race now and again but for most part my experience is going to pretty damn good :)

« Last Edit: 04 July 2013, 14:54 by mjh_056 »

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
« Reply #19 on: 04 July 2013, 15:09 »

I get 38 out of my current car and the GTI's combined cycle is basically the same.