Author Topic: GTD Rear end - too much like the others ?  (Read 4770 times)

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
GTD Rear end - too much like the others ?
« on: 04 July 2013, 08:25 »
Just a quick thought guys. This morning I was behind a new MK7 GT TDI in White, and was admiring it (as my GTD has also been ordered in White), but after a few minutes, I started to think where the GTD and the GT (or indeed any of the other MK7 models) differed from the rear end.

I know the front end is unmistakeable as a GTI/GTD with a unique bumper and the air fins around the fog lights, but at the back, the only difference I could tell would be the lights, with the GTD having the LED units (which I believe are smoked a little). The roof spoiler is probably slightly different but not so much you would immediately notice from the rear.

The bumper looked the same as the photos of the GTD, twin exhaust pipes etc, all in all, it got me thinking that the GTD (unlike the GTI with the offset twin exhausts), might look a little "samey"  as the rest of the range.

What do you all think ?
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
Re: GTD Rear end - too much like the others ?
« Reply #1 on: 04 July 2013, 08:32 »
It's subtle yeah, but the styling of the whole car is subtle.
I still occasionally mistake cooking versions of the MK5/6 with their GTI/D sisters.
The immediate give away in the MK7 is the LED lights, but it wouldn't surprise me if VW start putting those on GT's eventually.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline Gryzor

• I live here
  • Go white, or go home!
« Reply #2 on: 04 July 2013, 08:44 »
Personally I think the rear end of the new Mk7 Golf is unmistakable from the Mk6, but then the rear light clusters always were the things I disliked most about it.
Pure White Mk7 GTI (5dr, Manual)

Options: Reverse Camera, Keyless, Adaptive Chasis, Climate Screen, Winter Pack, Discover Nav, Advanced Phone Prep

Offline Golf7

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 04 July 2013, 09:09 »
Obviously the LED lights and possibly the spoiler, but I can't think of much else.

You do get chrome tailpipes on the GTD rather than bare metal like on the GT, but I've ordered some Skoda Yeti chrome tailpipe trims which I'm assured will fit my Golf 7 GT, so I'll be popping those on as soon as I get the car! (The VW ones were more than three times the price!)

Oh, and the GTD badge is probably the biggest give away!!

I see your point though, more subtle than the GTI

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
« Reply #4 on: 04 July 2013, 10:21 »
The spoiler is fairly subdued so I can see what you are saying.  I think both the GTI and GTD do stand out, but its sometimes kinda subconsciously you pick up on the subtle differences.

Offline AAddict

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 04 July 2013, 11:09 »
Is the rear splitter different to the GTI then?
Cancelled GTI, M135i beast mode.

Offline Gryzor

• I live here
  • Go white, or go home!
« Reply #6 on: 04 July 2013, 11:21 »

Yes, the GTI has a different diffuser for the different exhaust layout, and a honeycomb pattern on it.  Not sure if the GTD has that pattern or not...
Pure White Mk7 GTI (5dr, Manual)

Options: Reverse Camera, Keyless, Adaptive Chasis, Climate Screen, Winter Pack, Discover Nav, Advanced Phone Prep

Offline Gordor

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 05 July 2013, 13:43 »

Yes, the GTI has a different diffuser for the different exhaust layout, and a honeycomb pattern on it.  Not sure if the GTD has that pattern or not...

I am fairly sure that the GTD does not have a honeycomb rear diffuser...I only say that because I keep looking hard at this in any photo's I see... disappointing really  :sad: I think it is plain like the standard Golfs, but would be really happy to be proven wrong.
GTD Pure White : 19" Santiago's : Winter Pack : Dynaudio : Park Assist : High Beam Assist

Offline dippy_x

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 05 July 2013, 15:50 »

I am fairly sure that the GTD does not have a honeycomb rear diffuser...I only say that because I keep looking hard at this in any photo's I see... disappointing really  :sad: I think it is plain like the standard Golfs, but would be really happy to be proven wrong.

Every picture I have seen so far of the GTD (including MonkeyHangers Dads who has his GTD now) shows a normal diffuser - no honey comb pattern.
On Order: 02/05/13
GTD: Carbon Grey, Winter Pack, Keyless, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera, Furry Dice
Collected: 06/11/13

Offline tuscan

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 05 July 2013, 15:54 »
Every picture I have seen so far of the GTD (including MonkeyHangers Dads who has his GTD now) shows a normal diffuser - no honey comb pattern.

Atleast its easier to clean!  :rolleyes:

All my cleaning products arrived today from G techniq......Im just missing the car to use them on!  :laugh: :laugh: