Author Topic: Is the Mk7 GTI REALLY better looking than the Mk6 GTI?  (Read 13471 times)

Offline matchboy

• I live here
Re: Is the Mk7 GTI REALLY better looking than the Mk6 GTI?
« Reply #20 on: 04 July 2013, 13:25 »
I love everything about the Mk 7. It just looks 'right' from every angle.

Yup, I'll agree with that.  On my Mk5 I don't like the black bumper at the rear, and on the Mk6 I don't like the rear light clusters.  With the Mk7 though, I think it looks great from every angle, inside and out.

There's a mk 5 GTI that goes up the A10 on my (old) route back from work - he's retro fitted a new bumper that's colour coded the same as the rest of the car ie. replacing that horrible grey plastic bit - it makes it look like a totally different car, it looks quality.
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 04 July 2013, 13:28 »

Yup, I'll agree with that.  On my Mk5 I don't like the black bumper at the rear, and on the Mk6 I don't like the rear light clusters.  With the Mk7 though, I think it looks great from every angle, inside and out.

There's a mk 5 GTI that goes up the A10 on my (old) route back from work - he's retro fitted a new bumper that's colour coded the same as the rest of the car ie. replacing that horrible grey plastic bit - it makes it look like a totally different car, it looks quality.

I always thought that looked terrible anytime I saw a MK5 with the lower bit painted. Too much of a bulbous arse on the car if the whole thing is painted one colour.
What does look good though is the few MKV GTI's I've seen where they left the lower-most part of the valence unpainted, the bit around the exhaust, or even better, painted gloss black.  That does look well IMO.

MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #22 on: 04 July 2013, 13:57 »
Golfs aren't really pretty. They're a bit dull. They spend ages designing them to look dull.
When the mk6 was released the iconic mk5 suddenly looked a bit dated. Now the mk7 is released the mk6 looks dated.

It's not prettiness, it's the cool design features that make the mk7 so much better than the mk6.

The things that I like about the mk7 GTI best are the little bold lines in the metal that remind me of the fact this car actually looks like those pencil renderings the car designers submit when they first pen the styling exercises for the new model. The only thing missing from the finished article is the 20 inch alloys and zero gaps between the tyre and wheel arches!!

I love the 3 door design on the mk7. So much so that I have insisted on a 3 door despite needing a 5 door. With some big wheels the mk7 is going to look darn near as cool as a Scirocco but without the Scirocco's shortcomings (and it's bulbous derriere).

In fact my only reservation about the mk7 GTI is that the mk7 R will be a trouser tenting moment...

:cool:
« Last Edit: 04 July 2013, 14:04 by Exonian »
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Gordor

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #23 on: 04 July 2013, 21:56 »
Hated the MK6, was an easy option to get the Scirocco. They took the MK5 and softened it everywhere, made it seem a bit of a girly option to me, and those oversized rear light clusters?!?  :sick:

MK7 is much better - harsher, sharper, meaner. Those lines make it look a lot more muscular and the front end looks a lot better too - not as mean as a Scirocco but getting there - it scowls at you whereas the MK6 smiled at you.

Agreed, the back of the Mk 6 was better but the GTI/D of the Mk 7 is sooo much better

Just shows how people see differently:
I have a 5 and 6...and the 5 is soft and round and a bit flowery next to the 6, in my eyes.
A perfectly good car...just a bit bland compared to the 6.

I'm still not sure of the 7 GTI's front...I don't like the red line through the lights, but will reserve judgement until I've seem one in the metal.

I agree. The MK5 is softer looking because it is rounder, just compare the front end of the 5 & 6 together.

I do like the MK7 but the prefer the rear LED's on the MK6.
GTD Pure White : 19" Santiago's : Winter Pack : Dynaudio : Park Assist : High Beam Assist

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
« Reply #24 on: 04 July 2013, 23:51 »

I always thought that looked terrible anytime I saw a MK5 with the lower bit painted. Too much of a bulbous arse on the car if the whole thing is painted one colour.
What does look good though is the few MKV GTI's I've seen where they left the lower-most part of the valence unpainted, the bit around the exhaust, or even better, painted gloss black.  That does look well IMO.

That'll be the Edition 30's, without doubt the best looking version of the 5 imo, especially with the BBS Pescara wheels as well, love em! :P
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
« Reply #25 on: 04 July 2013, 23:55 »
Coming home today in usual A14 stop start and was level to a brand new pure white Golf 7 in the adjacent lane.  it was not a GTI but still looked very very nice and made the several other mk6 cars I passed look like yesterday's design.  I often find each new Golf takes a bit of getting used to but there is simply no question that the 7 is better looking than the 6.  I suspect those who don't agree have only seen pictures because side by side the 7 is better in every way.  That or they own a 6 and aren't looking to upgrade! :whistle:

J/K don't kill me 6ers! :grin:

EDIT: Jimbles post reminded me, I passed a black ED30 too and the non GTI 7 was much more of a head turner than that as well.  Could be the colour though! :tongue:
« Last Edit: 04 July 2013, 23:56 by Bill_the_Bear »

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 04 July 2013, 23:59 »
I agree.
I remember seeing the MKV for the first time (cooking version) and I hated it. I thought it was a big step back from the mk4. Eventually I bought a MKV gti, easily the best car I've owned. And i still admire a nice MKV GTI anytime I see one.
And then I saw the mk6 and I thought they'd ruined the MKV. And yep, I bought a mk6 and loved that too  :grin:

VW have a knack of designing a car that perhaps doesn't scream sexy looks at first, but seems to get better looking the more you see it and ages really well! A 7 year old MKV GTI still looks a very fresh modern car. Compare it to an Astra or focus of similar vintage....
« Last Edit: 05 July 2013, 00:02 by JoeGTI »
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline Gryzor

• I live here
  • Go white, or go home!
« Reply #27 on: 05 July 2013, 07:46 »
Coming home today in usual A14 stop start and was level to a brand new pure white Golf 7 in the adjacent lane.  it was not a GTI but still looked very very nice and made the several other mk6 cars I passed look like yesterday's design.  I often find each new Golf takes a bit of getting used to but there is simply no question that the 7 is better looking than the 6.  I suspect those who don't agree have only seen pictures because side by side the 7 is better in every way.  That or they own a 6 and aren't looking to upgrade! :whistle:

J/K don't kill me 6ers! :grin:

EDIT: Jimbles post reminded me, I passed a black ED30 too and the non GTI 7 was much more of a head turner than that as well.  Could be the colour though! :tongue:

Yeah, just last week I was driving home and down a street I saw a white Mk7 parked up, so I drove past it really slowly.  The lines of the new car are just so sharp, sits really well on the road.  Can't wait to see a white Mk7 GTI in the flesh, although I'm sure it won't be mine first!  :grin:
Pure White Mk7 GTI (5dr, Manual)

Options: Reverse Camera, Keyless, Adaptive Chasis, Climate Screen, Winter Pack, Discover Nav, Advanced Phone Prep

Offline MAW73

• I live here
  • Used to like Golfs :-)
« Reply #28 on: 05 July 2013, 09:12 »
I still think the Mk6 gti is a fantastic looking car and has aged well. However, when a Mk6 Golf R pulled up by the side of me the other I couldn't help but think it looked a bit dated. I hope they do a much better job with the styling on the Mk7 R.

I feel the Mk7 looks a bit like its been styled by Seat. So not quite sure at the moment until I really get to see one in the flesh.

« Last Edit: 05 July 2013, 09:15 by MAW73 »

2007 VW Mk5 Golf GT 5 Door DSG
2009 VW Mk6 Golf GTI 5 Door DSG
2012 BMW F20 125i M Sport, Auto
2014 BMW F20 M135i, Auto

Offline MAW73

• I live here
  • Used to like Golfs :-)
« Reply #29 on: 05 July 2013, 09:14 »

That'll be the Edition 30's, without doubt the best looking version of the 5 imo, especially with the BBS Pescara wheels as well, love em! :P

Agreed..... the ED30 is still is a head turner for me as is the Mk5 R32  :smiley:

2007 VW Mk5 Golf GT 5 Door DSG
2009 VW Mk6 Golf GTI 5 Door DSG
2012 BMW F20 125i M Sport, Auto
2014 BMW F20 M135i, Auto