Author Topic: Is the Mk7 GTI REALLY better looking than the Mk6 GTI?  (Read 13473 times)

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Re: Is the Mk7 GTI REALLY better looking than the Mk6 GTI?
« Reply #11 on: 03 July 2013, 22:55 »
Hated the MK6, was an easy option to get the Scirocco. They took the MK5 and softened it everywhere, made it seem a bit of a girly option to me, and those oversized rear light clusters?!?  :sick:

MK7 is much better - harsher, sharper, meaner. Those lines make it look a lot more muscular and the front end looks a lot better too - not as mean as a Scirocco but getting there - it scowls at you whereas the MK6 smiled at you.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Ess_Three

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 04 July 2013, 00:08 »
Hated the MK6, was an easy option to get the Scirocco. They took the MK5 and softened it everywhere, made it seem a bit of a girly option to me, and those oversized rear light clusters?!?  :sick:

MK7 is much better - harsher, sharper, meaner. Those lines make it look a lot more muscular and the front end looks a lot better too - not as mean as a Scirocco but getting there - it scowls at you whereas the MK6 smiled at you.

Just shows how people see differently:
I have a 5 and 6...and the 5 is soft and round and a bit flowery next to the 6, in my eyes.
A perfectly good car...just a bit bland compared to the 6.

I'm still not sure of the 7 GTI's front...I don't like the red line through the lights, but will reserve judgement until I've seem one in the metal.

Reducing my Golf count by the week....
..but gaining motorcycles.

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
« Reply #13 on: 04 July 2013, 00:49 »
will reserve judgement until I've seem one in the metal.

They look much much better in the flesh than they look in photos, trust me on this! :wink:

Offline Poached

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 04 July 2013, 08:19 »

I have a 5 and 6...and the 5 is soft and round and a bit flowery next to the 6, in my eyes.

I'm still not sure of the 7 GTI's front...I don't like the red line through the lights, but will reserve judgement until I've seem one in the metal.

I agree. The MK5 is softer looking because it is rounder, just compare the front end of the 5 & 6 together.

I do like the MK7 but the prefer the rear LED's on the MK6.
« Last Edit: 04 July 2013, 08:21 by Poached »

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 04 July 2013, 08:23 »

I agree. The MK5 is softer looking because it is rounder, just compare the front end of the 5 & 6 together.

I loved the MK6 LEDs but the mk7 LEDs move things up another notch! Have you seen them in action on a GTI/D? The indicators in the mk6 weren't led. In the mk7 they are and flash the entire width of the cluster. Extremely cool!
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline Poached

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 04 July 2013, 09:48 »

I loved the MK6 LEDs but the mk7 LEDs move things up another notch! Have you seen them in action on a GTI/D? The indicators in the mk6 weren't led. In the mk7 they are and flash the entire width of the cluster. Extremely cool!

Maybe its the shape of the lights?

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 04 July 2013, 09:52 »
I prefer the mk7 - looks more aggressive from the front.  And I prefer the new lights.  Personally, I think it makes the mk6 look slightly outdated - which I suppose is the point with a new car.

Interior wise - no contest; again you'd expect this.

As for Evo magazine....  :sick:
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline joet

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #18 on: 04 July 2013, 12:33 »
I love everything about the Mk 7. It just looks 'right' from every angle.

Somehow reminds me of an Alfasud I had many many years ago. BTW, that is still one of the best handling cars I've ever driven. If the Golf can make me smile the way that one did I'll be more than happy :smiley:

Offline Gryzor

• I live here
  • Go white, or go home!
« Reply #19 on: 04 July 2013, 12:56 »
I love everything about the Mk 7. It just looks 'right' from every angle.

Yup, I'll agree with that.  On my Mk5 I don't like the black bumper at the rear, and on the Mk6 I don't like the rear light clusters.  With the Mk7 though, I think it looks great from every angle, inside and out.
Pure White Mk7 GTI (5dr, Manual)

Options: Reverse Camera, Keyless, Adaptive Chasis, Climate Screen, Winter Pack, Discover Nav, Advanced Phone Prep