Author Topic: Is the Mk7 GTI REALLY better looking than the Mk6 GTI?  (Read 13474 times)

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
I am really struggling to get an answer pro Mk7 GTI on looks alone.

There are design details that I feel impact negatively on its aesthetics:
(1) Its nose, where I find the extra protuberance of the front bumper is very Bruce Forsyth
(2) the continuation of the red design detail through the headlights is a bit kitsch
(3) the ultra narrow profile of the grille gives the car a very tight lipped odd look
(4) the rear tail lights look very Audi Q5 and seem too narrow to suit the chunky rear that is a Golf. (The LED tails on the Mk6 GTI are certainly better looking and more Golflike).

From the many reviews, the Mk7 Golf and the Mk7 GTI in particular are purported to be better to drive than the Mk6. This is termed as progress and one should expect this. (However, Evo Mag felt that the Mk6 GTI was more involving).

To those of you who might be apoplectic with rage that there is this faintest criticism of the Mk7 GTI, I extend the hand of friendship and beg you not to banish me to the Audi Forums.
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP

Offline DougL

• Here all the time
Re: Is the Mk7 GTI REALLY better looking than the Mk6 GTI?
« Reply #1 on: 03 July 2013, 20:55 »
General opinion is that it looks sharper than the six. I have one and I agree. The seven looks SHARP!
Tornado Red GTI 3dr manual

Previous Golfs Mk1 GLS and GL, Mk2 GL and Driver, Mk3 GL, Mk4 GT TDI, Mk6 TDI (and a Mk2 Scirocco 20 years ago)

Offline AAddict

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 03 July 2013, 20:57 »

(1) Its nose, where I find the extra protuberance of the front bumper is very Bruce Forsyth
(2) the continuation of the red design detail through the headlights is a bit kitsch
(3) the ultra narrow profile of the grille gives the car a very tight lipped odd look
(4) the rear tail lights look very Audi Q5 and seem too narrow to suit the chunky rear that is a Golf. (The LED tails on the Mk6 GTI are certainly better looking and more Golflike).

From the many reviews, the Mk7 Golf and the Mk7 GTI in particular are purported to be better to drive than the Mk6. This is termed as progress and one should expect this. (However, Evo Mag felt that the Mk6 GTI was more involving).

To those of you who might be apoplectic with rage that there is this faintest criticism of the Mk7 GTI, I extend the hand of friendship and beg you not to banish me to the Audi Forums.

I think pretty much the opposite. No surprise as I'm getting one. The MK7 looks much more masculine, lower and wider, it's lost that tall and ungainly look the MK6 had. The MK6 GTI is a handsome car, but IMO the MK7 is just more classy and stands out more from the regular MK7. The lights, front and rear, look much better than MK6 and are a big leap forward IMO. If you prefer the MK6, then great, no hard feelings, can't wait to chip mine in when I get the MK7  :laugh:
Cancelled GTI, M135i beast mode.

Offline Ess_Three

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 03 July 2013, 20:57 »
Same answer as in the Mk6 section:

I'd need to see a Mk7 GTI next to my Mk6 GTI to compare...

But my old man has just picked up a Mk7 GT and every time I see it, I think what a cracking looking car it is.
I never thought that of a 'cooking' Mk6 Golf.

Reducing my Golf count by the week....
..but gaining motorcycles.

Running Man

« Reply #4 on: 03 July 2013, 21:07 »
Yes, just  :wink:

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #5 on: 03 July 2013, 21:22 »

(4) the rear tail lights look very Audi Q5 and seem too narrow to suit the chunky rear that is a Golf. (The LED tails on he Mk6 GTI are certainly better looking and more Golflike).

scary but ive just had a similar discussion with someone myself and said the exact same as you.
I dont like the red line in the lights, doors or the smaller rear lights.  It makes me prefer the GTD from tbe front.
I really really wanted to like it but these to me are just not as good looking at the present time. Im sure it will grow on me though.
What I do really like is the 3 doors side window profile it makes it look a little more like the mk1s window shape.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Gryzor

• I live here
  • Go white, or go home!
« Reply #6 on: 03 July 2013, 21:43 »
All personal opinion I guess, but I think it looks better from every angle.  The rear lights especially were pretty naff on the Mk6 Golf, which is kinda' what put me off getting one.  I wanted a GTI that I was totally happy with, because even on the Mk5 I have now I don't like the ugly black bumper at the back!
Pure White Mk7 GTI (5dr, Manual)

Options: Reverse Camera, Keyless, Adaptive Chasis, Climate Screen, Winter Pack, Discover Nav, Advanced Phone Prep

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 03 July 2013, 21:46 »

My reply as in mk6 section

1.  Don't mind bumper itself but find the bonnet looking a little too long.  It'll soon be as long as a bmw 1 series
2.  Agree
3.  Think it looks fine, but hate the ADC sensor
4.  Totally agree.  I was driving behind a mk7 (not a gti) yesterday for a few miles and got a good look at it.   The tail lights look very small and undersized.  I am surprised at how small the entire rear of the car looks and this is emphasised by the tiny lights.  Quite liking the sharper lines though.

Also looks quite a bit lower at the rear than the mk6, which I like.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
« Reply #8 on: 03 July 2013, 21:48 »
No contest:
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=430

Especially the rear of the Mk7.

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 03 July 2013, 22:00 »
I had a MK6 GTD and now a MK7 GTI.
I think the MK6 is still a great looking car and there are some aspects of the MK7 design that don't sit right with me, but I think it's just a matter of getting used to it.
I quite liked the kicked-up rear windows in the 3 door mk6, I'm still not sure about the straighter lines of the rear windows in the mk7!
I liked the grill in the mk6 with the twin chrome/red stripes. I'd agree that the grill in the new car isn't quite as pretty. The mk6 grill was also gloss black, it's plain old matt black in the mk7.

Where there can be no doubt though is the interior. The MK7 interior is leagues ahead of the mk6 in every way... Apart from the seat headrest design, I preferred the seat headrests in the mk6.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.