Author Topic: MK5 GTI Tips & Tricks  (Read 64190 times)

Offline maxamus

• I live here
MK5 GTI Tips & Tricks
« on: 13 May 2008, 22:35 »
Seeing as there are many new GTI owners who are unaware of the tips and tricks i thought i should enlighten them.

Remote Window Closure / Opening

After leaving the car, press the 'lock' on the remote, and keep it held down (on)....the windows and sunroof will close (only whilst you hold the remote button)

Conversely, pressing the 'unlock' on the remote, and keeping it held down will open the windows (but not sunroof)
Release the remote when they are at desired position!

Windscreen Wiper Access

The windscreen wipers are neatly tucked away when not in use for aerodynamics and safety.

To clean under them or change the blades is easy!

With the ignition key in 'off' position or removed, pull the wiper stalk down momentarily.
The wipers will wipe to 12 o'clock position and remain in that position.

After completing your task, simply repeat the wiper stalk action and the wipers will 'park' in the usual position.

Fuel Flap Release

The electric fuel flap release is inhibited if travelling at over 5mph (a guess)

Automatic Rear Screen Wipe

With your windscreen wipers activated in any mode, selecting reverse will cause the rear screen wiper to wipe once.

Headlamp Washers

Headlamp washers will only wash if your headlights are switched 'on' - at the first time you wash your windscreen, and then every fifth time your wash your windscreen (resets after ingition switched off)

2 Zone Climate Control Synchronization

if you hold down the AUTO button for three seconds, it will synchronize the temperature setting on both sides of the car to match that of the drivers side. When ever the driver changes his temp setting it will also change it on the passenger side, until a passenger changes their side.

Passenger Door not unlocking

If you press the unlock button more than twice in quick succession the passenger door ONLY locks itself, unlocks on the fourth, locks on the fifth etc.

Its a software problem that hasnt been rectified yet but its nothing to worry about

Coming Home Lights

The headlights only stay on for the 30seconds or so if you have put just taken the key out of the ignition. If you dont want them to stay on when youve parked up then lock the car, unlock and lock again.

(Save that oh too familiar "you've left your lights on mate!")

2 Zone Climate Control Degrees C to Degrees F

Pressing and holding the Auto and Econ Buttons at the same time will swap the temperature from oC to oF and Visa Versa

The MFD lights up when you open a door but will go out after about 30 seconds unless you do something. Just press briefly the trip button and the display will light back up.

If you push ECON + rights button near Recirculated air. You will show into each screen in the climatronic several interesting values. If you go to channel 19 you will show in the right screen the speed, rpm, motor temp. The are others interesting channels but by the moment there is no info. To go to another channel just move the left temp selector to move to another subchannel just move the right temp selector.

If you have the lux pack, and the dimming rearview mirrors:

To turn the dimming feature 'off' feel under the rearview mirror and push the little switch....the LED should extinguish and your mirrors will be clear.

To make lane change 'three blinks' on your indicators on the motorway (etc), push the indicator stalk up/down but not so far that it clicks into place.....then release.

I don't know whether all you members realise this but if you select Right hand adjustment for the driver's door mirror, ie 'R' and adjust using the toggle action then the left-hand mirror will adjust synchronously (if that's the right term to use). In other words it will mirror (excuse the pun) the actions of the Driver's mirror.

Arm Rest

The top of the centre armrest slides forwards.

Arm Rest

The armrest opens up with a latching action so it stops at different heights. This allows you to set it at different levels to whatever is most comfortable.

You need to fully raise it before it will lower.

If you hold the wiper stalk down (for a flick wipe), you get one slow wipe then fast wipes afterwards

If you have a rear interior courtesy light, you can switch it on from the front of the car, by switching the main front courtesy light to 'manual on' position on the rocker switch.

Regards FSI owners mainly.

The higher the octane rating of the fuel the longer the FSI engine will run in FSI mode.

You see, when the FSI is running in 'Fuel Stratified Injection' mode it creates a lot of NoX (NoX - Very bad as far as emisions go) due to it being such a lean burn, so it has a NoX Cat which abrorbs the NoX, once its full the Nox probe (fancy lambda probe) senses this and the engine switches back to normal running and can safely clear the NoX out with the other gases through the main Cat so it can switch back into in FSI mode again.

The problem with octane levels is, and this is just an example depending on driving styles.

Out of 100 miles average :-

95RON - 90 miles normal, 10 miles FSI (lots of NoX made in FSI mode)

97+RON - 60 miles normal, 40 miles FSI (some NoX made in FSI mode)

Now regardless of what anyone says this is how the engine is built and as its more efficient in FSI mode VW always recommend the highest octane rating for this reason, they did introduce a 1.4FSI for the uk market that is made to run on 95RON fuel for longer but you want to see the size of the NoX Cat, more like a tanker. lol

And after all that, you will get better miles to the gallon running 97+RON regardless of it being an FSI, its they way they are made these days, the ecu recognises when the fuel mixture combusts and will adjust it accordingly, the cheaper the fuel the more retarded the timing, the more retarded the timing the less power, the less power the more you 'need' to put the foot down.

Satnav

Maybe this is well known but if you're on the "MAP" screen you can press it again to get a big display of direction/turn, distances etc. Dead useful especially if you don't have the bigger MFD.

Satnav

Again if you're in map display on the satnav and you press the right side select knob, it hides the side menus and gives the full display to the map - really cool.

You have to press ECON and the UP ARROW button, the one that puts the air near the windscreen vents.

The left display and panel show the channel + subchannel. The large number is the main channel, with the little number top right being the sub channel.

The Left twisty bit changes the MAIN channel, the central twisty bit (fan speed) changes the sub channel. I dont think the right twisty bit does anything.

So far ive only worked out the following :

MAIN channel 19 has got engine RPM, engine SPEED (km/h). Ive only looked at it for a few minutes but i really wanna work it all out

DSG gearbox (with paddles)
If you're in normal D mode on the gearbox, you can engage manual control by just flipping one of the paddles.  You can then go up and down the gears with the paddles.  It will automatically slip back into D mode if left alone in the same gear for a while, or when you come to a stop.  Another way of changing back to auto is to pull one of the paddles and hold it for about 3 seconds.  All of this is done without having to move the gearstick over to the + - setting.

A little RCD300 trick

If you hold down the MENU button whilst on FM or AM, until the radio emits a 'boop' the display will then alter to show a signal meter for the station you are listening to and some other useless bumf.

Thats just some of them. Complete list here: http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/t/5475.aspx?PageIndex=2

Komenda

Re: MK5 GTI Tips & Tricks
« Reply #1 on: 14 May 2008, 11:33 »

Automatic Rear Screen Wipe

With your windscreen wipers activated in any mode, selecting reverse will cause the rear screen wiper to wipe once.

And if you drive off with the Boot unlatched the rear wiper will frantically wipe until you stop and close the boot.

Great list by the way
« Last Edit: 14 May 2008, 11:36 by Komenda »

Offline The Wheel Man

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 14 May 2008, 12:07 »
As if i diddnt think my car was cool enough!!!  :cool:  Awesome list, i honestly diddnt know about 90% of that!!

Offline hotrod

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 14 May 2008, 13:19 »
Great list maxamus,

I’ll be fiddling tonight... and on the car. :smiley:

Hotrod

GTI Edition 30 (1783)   Candy white   KKK04 turbo

Offline Gulfstream11

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 16 May 2008, 07:34 »
awesome..I did,nt know any of that...Good one with the wipers..

Previous rides..MKIV 1.8T   MKIV PD150  MK5 GTI MK5 edition30 now MK7 GTI PP

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
« Reply #5 on: 16 May 2008, 08:54 »
That 3 blink lane change thing I have done before on a normal road and thought wtf ! But by the time I had got home id forgotten to look into it, great little list.

Offline neg

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 16 May 2008, 09:29 »
If you want to wash your windscreen with the lights on but dont want the headlight washers to go - give it a quick pull, wipers will swoop, then simply do it again as the first quick pull makes it think the headlamp washers have been on.

Offline 182_blue

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 16 May 2008, 09:47 »
some handy stuff to know

Offline ub7rm

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 01 September 2008, 13:00 »
Great one on sync-ing the climate on each side, my OCD doesn't let me have both sides different and it was starting to p me off having to change both side!

2020 BMW 128ti
2017 Golf GTD Estate

Offline NEWEY

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 01 September 2008, 13:26 »
great post i wouldnt have known half the stuff if you hadnt said. like the windows open and close etc