Author Topic: edition 30 vs R32  (Read 27584 times)

DannyBoyR32

Re: edition 30 vs R32
« Reply #20 on: 22 November 2007, 17:20 »
tbh i half agree if u read what i said
i just don't like the seats or gear knob
by the way, not being sexist but what type of driving do you do?

....tumble weed......

:evil:

Offline maxamus

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 22 November 2007, 17:23 »

i would say don't test drive both because you'll want the r32 as the power is incredible but i would consider your financial situation and work according to what you can afford or which one you like the look of

Add to that the fact the the Ed30 looks better, is  more exclusive, can be tuned easier and be quicker than an R32 (and also has better power-weight ratio), will be cheaper to run/insure/tax etc. it's a no-brainer for me really.

1. ED30 does not look better than the R32!

2. R32 is more exclusive (If anything, judging by this forum at least, there are more ED30 owners than GTI owners. No one buys a GTI anymore - they go straight for the ED30)

3. R32 has 4WD and ED30 doesnt so R32 has better power management

4. R32 has a better soundtrack

5. If you cant afford the up keep of an R32 then you should live within your means and get something else!

Offline DrT

• Not said much yet
  • GOLF GTI
« Reply #22 on: 22 November 2007, 18:06 »

i would say don't test drive both because you'll want the r32 as the power is incredible but i would consider your financial situation and work according to what you can afford or which one you like the look of

Add to that the fact the the Ed30 looks better, is  more exclusive, can be tuned easier and be quicker than an R32 (and also has better power-weight ratio), will be cheaper to run/insure/tax etc. it's a no-brainer for me really.

No one buys a GTI anymore - they go straight for the ED30

[/b]

Seems to be the case. However, some of us can't afford the new/used ED30, and like myself buys a used GTI purely since it's a fantastic car for the weekend and everyday use, and doesn't fall much behind the ED30 in real life.
DrT

Golf GTI, 3d, Diamond Black, 06 Reg, Basic and Fun.

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #23 on: 22 November 2007, 18:26 »
hey r32
same car!!! except mine's got tinted windows at back, not my choice but it looks okay
what is ur mpg by the way?!!! does the mpg counter when car is moving flicker quite drastically (ie 80mpg, back down to 20mpg)?
let me know :cry: :cry: :cry:

The trip computer flickers because you probably have it on the instant mpg setting.. try clicking the button on the end of the right stork whilst driving and it should show you an average of your current journey.

As for my mpg it currently somewhere inbetween 18mpg (for short trips) and occasionally 24mpg on cool and calm long drives. It rarely takes long to bring it down thought.. a little strech of open road and im off!!

DannyBoyR32

« Reply #24 on: 22 November 2007, 22:35 »
i swear i'm getting less than 18mpg
i must be driving like a tw!t
couldn't find the button you were talking about though

Offline RedRobin

• Forum addict
  • BIALI Motorsport - Chief Horn Blower!
« Reply #25 on: 22 November 2007, 22:51 »
I currently have a (modified) Mk 4 R32 and wanted a Mk 5 R32.  The dealer suggested an Ed30 as well but I dismissed it straight away thinking it would be too much of a step down from what I've got.  I looked into getting an R32 -decided on the spec, got quotes on price, insurance etc. and had made my mind up.  I booked a test drive for a few days later and in the meantime just did a bit of research on the Ed30 and found that really there isn't THAT much of a difference in performance between the two.

So I asked the dealer if I could take an Ed30 out at the same time as the R32.  The day came and I test drove both.  I came away with my heart set on an Ed30 and I went back a few days later and placed an order for one.

Now this has come from someone who loves their current R32, and had decided on a new one.  But I gave the Ed30 a chance and TBH it blew me away.  It actually felt quicker than the R32 (quicker for the type of driving I do, although the R32 felt as if it had more all-round grunt) and the only thing the R32 has going for it is the 4WD and rumble of the V6.  The Ed30 is the better all-rounder IMO but you NEED to test drive both to appreciate both.  I never thought I would like the Ed30 but it surprised me.  I thought the the R32 would be a natural progression from what I have but I was wrong.

If you put into consideration the amount of cameras and traffic on our roads anyway you won't actually be able to use the attraction of the R32 to it's full potential and get that extra 3mph/0.3 secs upto 60mph and 20bhp anyway. 

....I couldn't agree more!

I've borrowed a Mk5 R32 and driven it back-to-back with my GTI on exactly the same road route. I cannot say that one is 'better' than the other but only that they feel different to drive. I absolutely loved (and still love!) the V6 sound and the grunt but the GTI feels more nimble and doesn't conceal its speed from you so much! I found myself gunning the .:R just to hear that V6 and it drank petrol.

My modded GTI is certainly as fast as a standard Ed30 (probably faster) and I'd have definitely bought an Ed30 if it had been available when I was buying.
:cool: FACEFOOK: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50?ref=tn_tnmn

Throbbin' Red VeeDub GTI Mk5 - DSG, Custom Milltek TBE, Forge Twintake, KW-V3 + Eibach ARBs, AP Racing BigBrake kit, Quaife ATB diff, Revo2

Peskarik

« Reply #26 on: 23 November 2007, 07:29 »

1. ED30 does not look better than the R32!

2. R32 is more exclusive (If anything, judging by this forum at least, there are more ED30 owners than GTI owners. No one buys a GTI anymore - they go straight for the ED30)

4. R32 has a better soundtrack

5. If you cant afford the up keep of an R32 then you should live within your means and get something else!

why not also put it in font 25 and in caps?  :rolleyes:

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
« Reply #27 on: 23 November 2007, 08:45 »

Anyone confirm that the R32 uses the same 4motion that most VW's use which is thats its FWD only until it needs to the 4WD?

Offline Hurdy

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #28 on: 23 November 2007, 10:03 »

Anyone confirm that the R32 uses the same 4motion that most VW's use which is thats its FWD only until it needs to the 4WD?

Correctamundo :nerd:

So really it is only part time 4WD :wink:
Seat Leon Cupra Black 290 DSG

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #29 on: 23 November 2007, 10:14 »
I got to agree with the consealing of the speed.. I like to play the 3sec game where you floor it and then guess how fast your going, and you nearly always guess below your current speed. It does hide it very well!!

For some people the R32 is never going to be the right choice. For me, like Hurdy drive to work along coutry roads, A + B roads and no speed cameras or police (except sunday evenings). So for my journeys the car is perfect. So i think you need to look at factors such as how much and where you will be driving it... and go from there. But there is obviously no substitute for taking them both for a drive!

Just be warned if you rule out the R32 before your test drive... dont take it on the test drive :shocked: