Author Topic: Speaker replacement  (Read 828 times)

Offline wizzywig27

• Not said much yet
Speaker replacement
« on: 03 August 2021, 14:31 »
Hi all

I have a crackling/popping speaker in my Golf. It has been in to be checked and they have informed me it is a faulty speaker in the dash. I have checked the Volkswizard youtube video and the problem he describes at 11mins 8secs is exactly what I have, however mine does not show any fault or warning on the dash.

I have explained all this to the Service Advisor at VW and he insists it is faulty and needs replacing.

My concern is they remove the whole dash to replace the speaker (I have no confidence in their ability to put it back together properly). They have told me they dont need to do this but I am not sure, and if I am honest I don't believe him (as you can tell I don't have good experiences of this dealer).

Does anyone have any experience of speaker removal on the golf?

Offline phope

• I live here
Re: Speaker replacement
« Reply #1 on: 03 August 2021, 21:28 »
This?

Golf Mk8 R order cancelled...awaiting company car instead
Tiguan 1.5 Elegance for the wife & dogs
Skoda 1.5 SEL cheap lease special

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #2 on: 03 August 2021, 22:31 »
The popping sound is caused by the sos unit as far as I know... Not the speaker.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline wizzywig27

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 04 August 2021, 09:38 »
The popping sound is caused by the sos unit as far as I know... Not the speaker.

I agree 100% especially as at the same time the globe and GPS icon disappears from the unit.

And yes, that does appear to be the correct diagram of the speaker.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #4 on: 04 August 2021, 10:15 »
There is something weird going on with that.... I actually had the globe and position indicator vanish on Sunday, together with a SOS mode activated message on the dash.... the sat nav I was using and that dissapeared from the HUD, in fact the menu for the HUD setup vanished too!

Very weird.

I didn't get the pop noise though.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC