Author Topic: No jack or wheel nut spanner?  (Read 2963 times)

Offline M6TT F

• GTI forum regular
No jack or wheel nut spanner?
« on: 07 June 2021, 12:29 »
Is this a new thing, or is my car missing them? I only appear to have a locking wheel nut remover, compressor and tyre goop, along with a towing eye?

Offline M6TT F

• GTI forum regular
Re: No jack or wheel nut spanner?
« Reply #1 on: 07 June 2021, 12:50 »
Yup, seems it’s a factory extra. Never realised this! My MK7 had everything and a spare. Bloody ridiculous that you can’t even remove a wheel without it

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #2 on: 07 June 2021, 13:59 »
Spare wheel was deleted from the mk8 with my21... So all performance mk8's. With the wheel of course were all of the pieces you needed to change it.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline M6TT F

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 07 June 2021, 14:24 »
So you’re completely reliant on a can of hit n miss, and a recovery service. Frustrating

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 07 June 2021, 15:05 »
There’s usually a selection of mk7 space saver spare wheel kits for sale on certain well known online auction sites. I’m assuming these would be compatible with the mk8?

VW seem to have dropped the spare wheel from the standard spec of most - if not all - of their cars and made it an extra cost option, so it’s not just the mk8 that doesn’t get one as standard. VW would no doubt say it’s been done in pursuit of weight saving and CO2 emissions reduction. Others might say it’s a penny pinching, cost cutting measure :whistle:.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #5 on: 07 June 2021, 15:47 »
It's definitely about co2... And how nobody ever changes a wheel any more and the prevalence of breakdown cover.

Makes sense tbh.

I have a spare on mine though
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline valentino

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 07 June 2021, 16:13 »
Bought a brand new space saver off ebay for £57, fits in the recess in the boot well just right

Offline Kgti8

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 07 June 2021, 22:11 »
I was amazed when I opened mine and found the spare in there! Had been thinking when ordering to have it added as an option!
2021 MK8 Manual | Oryx White, Estorils, DCC, Winter Pack, HK, Pan Roof, Rear Camera, Vienna Leather