Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2739325 times)

Offline JB GTI

• I live here
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #910 on: 26 April 2014, 17:11 »
Gave her a good interior clean, dust & vacuum. Kids had kicked mud all round the plastic in the back….Grrrrrrrr!!!! :angry:
But all looking brand new again now. Anyone suggest a really good vacuum? Ours is weaker than a hotel room hairdryer. :roll eyes: Can't say I'm impressed with the carpet quality, goes fluffy hairy after one vac.

I have used a vax for about 15 years and it has never let me down. Powerful too !!
Now Gone: 3dr GTI Carbon Grey Performance Pack Dynaudio
Discover Nav Park Assist Rear Camera
Picked Up: 15th March 2014

Now Gone 3dr Golf R Lapiz Blue, DSG, Dynaudio, 19" Pretoria's, Discover Nav, Keyless, Rear View Camera
Picked Up: 1st March 2015

Now Gone Too: Mk7.5 Golf GTi Performance 5dr Indium Grey DSG Dynaudio 19” Brescia Alloys Vienna Leather Keyless Entry/Start Panoramic Roof 90% Tints Park Assist Rear View Camera Voice Activation Dynamic Lane Assist/DLA

Offline Ginge 35Edition

• I live here
« Reply #911 on: 26 April 2014, 18:29 »
B&Q are doing a Karcher end of line wet and dry for £35. It's no longer on their website but I got one and it seems ok?

Offline ffrank

• Here all the time
« Reply #912 on: 27 April 2014, 22:41 »
In anticipation of my GTD arriving this week, planned and got ready for giving it it's first wash and protection, thanks to JBirchy for his help on a few of the products. :) I had a practice run on my wife's peugeot today and it's looking good - it rained afterwards and the water beading and fleeing from the paint was amazing. Her car has never been detailed, or probably even waxed - the ironx gave a purple river down the road and the clay still picked up shed loads.

The dealer isn't washing the car for me at my request, and is leaving it 'in the wraps', so hopefully I get some decent weather after pickup.

By the way, I am a novice at detailing - so if anyone is thinking of taking the plunge - go for it, products like these are dead easy to use - although it did take me 4 hours  :shocked:

Offline JBirchy

• Here all the time
« Reply #913 on: 28 April 2014, 11:49 »
Excellent buddy, some superb products there! The Sonax Hybrid NPT is a fantastic product which will give you at least 6-8 months, and it's so easy to apply (once the paint is prepared properly) it's very easy to keep it topped up.

Look forward to seeing the results!
MK7 GTI 3-Door DSG, Tornado Red, Discover Nav, Winter Pack, ACC, Keyless Go, Reversing Camera, Service Pack... Ordered 28th Oct... Collected 1st March!

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #914 on: 28 April 2014, 12:02 »
Today I swapped my GTD for an UP! with a mighty 60ps. My car is with Benfield for a few days while they fix the 4 paint chips they made and crudely repaired with a blob of lacquer when it was last in.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline ffrank

• Here all the time
« Reply #915 on: 28 April 2014, 12:58 »
Jbirchy, thanks - I was very impressed - the NPT was so easy to use as was the polish+wax underneath. The G1/G2 was dead easy too, took no time at all. Longest part was claying, but that's because it was in poor condition, but very satisfying having smooth paint at the end - should be a breeze on the MK7. I used a little of the Shampoo in a water spray for the claying lubricant, which worked well too. Looking forward to the GTD results too :)

Monkeyhanger, I hope you get to put the UP! through your speed test against that signpost marker on your local road ;)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #916 on: 28 April 2014, 14:03 »
My Bosch Aerotwin A864S set arrived today from wiperblades.co.uk today -very quick delivery. Pity I don't have my car. Will try the signpost speed test in the UP tomorrow. The reverse gear is right where 6th should be on the GTD, convinced I'm going to engage reverse at 70mph in a lapse of concentration looking for 6th and destroy the drivetrain.  :whistle:

Offline peterdoherty

• Here all the time
« Reply #917 on: 28 April 2014, 16:36 »
convinced I'm going to engage reverse at 70mph in a lapse of concentration looking for 6th and destroy the drivetrain.  :whistle:

I done that on a rented Merc B class a few weeks ago - was fun in a rental car lol
MKVII GTD DSG Carbon Grey 5DR, Dynaudio, Keyless Entry, Rear View Camera, Colour MFD, Park Assist, Winter Pack, Climate Screen, Advanced Phone Kit, High Beam Assist

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #918 on: 29 April 2014, 07:42 »
Monkeyhanger, I hope you get to put the UP! through your speed test against that signpost marker on your local road ;)

It managed to pass the signpost at 62mph from a 30mph start on the sliproad vs 81/89mph for the GTD without/with DTUK box. Faster than I thought, but I had it screaming in 2nd and 3rd to manage that. Might be getting my car back tonight. Looks like the UP has managed about 30mpg in my custody, and that is with generally getting up to 30/40/50/70 on any particular road and staying there in 5th. Apart from this morning's signpost race, i've been quite gentle with it.

Offline Ginagee

• Here all the time
« Reply #919 on: 29 April 2014, 12:21 »

It managed to pass the signpost at 62mph from a 30mph start on the sliproad vs 81/89mph for the GTD without/with DTUK box. Faster than I thought, but I had it screaming in 2nd and 3rd to manage that. Might be getting my car back tonight. Looks like the UP has managed about 30mpg in my custody, and that is with generally getting up to 30/40/50/70 on any particular road and staying there in 5th. Apart from this morning's signpost race, i've been quite gentle with it.

30mpg in an UP!?  :shocked: Aye-up! I'm now feeling most happy with my GTI Long Term 35mpg :smiley: I do keep on wondering about a DTUK box… has it affected your mpg Monkeyhanger? And does it affect your warranty?
2014 GTi Mk7 5dr Manual, Reflex Silver, PP, DNS, Dynaudio, Pano Roof.