Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2740694 times)

Offline GTI7me

• Here all the time
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #770 on: 10 March 2014, 16:00 »
Yeah that really smart mate! I've always wanted a set of pressed plates. When my private plate goes on i think i will get a set  :smiley:

Ha! I'm not surprised, you just won't want to drive it now  :wink:

J

2013 GTI (GONE) - 2014 GTI Performance Pack - Manual, Discover Nav, 5 door, Park Assist

Offline CR4ZYHOR5E

• Not said much yet
« Reply #771 on: 10 March 2014, 17:18 »
These spotless cars look absolutely fantastic, however I might be in a minority saying this, but what exactly is the merits of detailing a car if it is going to be driven every day? Whenever I wash a car it stays that way for perhaps 2-3 days max, and that's in the summer.

As I say, the cars look great.

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
« Reply #772 on: 10 March 2014, 17:20 »
These spotless cars look absolutely fantastic, however I might be in a minority saying this, but what exactly is the merits of detailing a car if it is going to be driven every day? Whenever I wash a car it stays that way for perhaps 2-3 days max, and that's in the summer.

I read the best answer to this question on one of the forums;

Do you wipe your bum when you've been to the toilet?  :grin:
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #773 on: 10 March 2014, 17:25 »
That was my retort to one of my neighbours who hilariously comments every time he walks past when I'm cleaning one of my cars.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline gazmondo35

• Here all the time
« Reply #774 on: 10 March 2014, 17:41 »
My neighbours can't understand why I don't take the car to the car wash like other people,& if you are going to wash it by hand use washing up liquid.
Mk7 golf R DBP
MK7 golf gti pp red (sold)

Offline JBirchy

• Here all the time
« Reply #775 on: 10 March 2014, 18:42 »

Haha! Love that one!

Erm, I suppose there are number of reasons but the main reason I protect it up so well is that it makes it much easier to maintain and wash myself throughout the life of the car. For maintaining all it will need is weekly/bi-weekly washes and the odd cleanse and wax top up, but it will still look this good in 3-4 years save for the odd stone chip etc.

Also, applying a windscreen sealant and an anti-fog treatment to the inside of the windscreen actually makes wet/cold weather driving much safer. Water simply rolls off the screen and wipers simply aren't required at motorway speed making visibility much better. Really worth looking into!

The last 2 cars i've had (Mk5 GTI and Fiat Bravo runabout) I've actually made money on as I bought them mechanically spot on, but paint was a bit lacking and after detailing them, they were worth more. We all have our hobbies I suppose but I do take a lot of pride in it looking so good!
MK7 GTI 3-Door DSG, Tornado Red, Discover Nav, Winter Pack, ACC, Keyless Go, Reversing Camera, Service Pack... Ordered 28th Oct... Collected 1st March!

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
« Reply #776 on: 10 March 2014, 19:13 »
That was my retort to one of my neighbours who hilariously comments every time he walks past when I'm cleaning one of my cars.

That was it! I love it!  8)

Offline CR4ZYHOR5E

• Not said much yet
« Reply #777 on: 10 March 2014, 19:41 »

But that's my point. To use your analogy...Wiping your ar*e with toilet paper is what most people are doing when they are washing their car. Detailing seems akin to going down there with bleach and a toothbrush  :shocked:

Anywho...each to their own, as I say, great cars. Wish I had the skill and patience.

Offline KyleB

• I live here
« Reply #778 on: 10 March 2014, 19:53 »

À

But that's my point. To use your analogy...Wiping your ar*e with toilet paper is what most people are doing when they are washing their car. Detailing seems akin to going down there with bleach and a toothbrush  :shocked:

Anywho...each to their own, as I say, great cars. Wish I had the skill and patience.

For me you can't best the feeling of having a nice polished and waxed car on your drive. I wasn't that fussed about cleaning cars but it gets addictive, especially when you see them reflections and the beading when it's rained.

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
« Reply #779 on: 10 March 2014, 19:57 »

Sorry to be facecious mate, there are a couple of reasons for doing a full detail, obviously having a lovely shiny car being one but also it makes the weekly/fortnightly wash much much easier.