Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2775529 times)

Offline willni

• I live here
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #11490 on: 26 June 2021, 20:07 »
Got it ready for a GTi show that’s on tomorrow. Not bad IMO for an almost 8 year old car. Had to replace the engine coolant temp sensor last week. All good now.

@Carbon VW; Looks great :cool:. Carbon grey with anthracite VW Rotary alloy wheels is a great combination, not that I’m biased (my mk6 GTD was Carbon Grey with anthracite Rotary alloys) :smiley:.

Appreciation from a forum member like you is high praise indeed  :laugh:

Thanks! :smiley:. Wish I still had my Rotary alloys - they’re my favourites of any wheels I’ve had on my VW’s. Unfortunately they’re the wrong bolt pattern for my Polo GTI+ :angry:.

Not try and source a set of the mk4 R32 Aristos? Should be same bolt battern but not sure on the rest of the specs since time has moved on.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #11491 on: 26 June 2021, 20:46 »
Got it ready for a GTi show that’s on tomorrow. Not bad IMO for an almost 8 year old car. Had to replace the engine coolant temp sensor last week. All good now.

@Carbon VW; Looks great :cool:. Carbon grey with anthracite VW Rotary alloy wheels is a great combination, not that I’m biased (my mk6 GTD was Carbon Grey with anthracite Rotary alloys) :smiley:.

Thanks! :smiley:. Wish I still had my Rotary alloys - they’re my favourites of any wheels I’ve had on my VW’s. Unfortunately they’re the wrong bolt pattern for my Polo GTI+ :angry:.

Not try and source a set of the mk4 R32 Aristos? Should be same bolt battern but not sure on the rest of the specs since time has moved on.

The R32 Aristos are 7.5J x 18” ET38 with 15 spokes and yes, they have the same 5x100 bolt pattern as the Polo. I don’t really like alloys with more that 12 spokes, otherwise I think they look a bit too ‘busy’ and the more spokes, the more of a chore they can be to clean.

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #11492 on: 27 June 2021, 07:24 »

The R32 Aristos are 7.5J x 18” ET38 with 15 spokes and yes, they have the same 5x100 bolt pattern as the Polo. I don’t really like alloys with more that 12 spokes, otherwise I think they look a bit too ‘busy’ and the more spokes, the more of a chore they can be to clean.

Fair enough, suppose they won't look the same without the vr6 soundtrack  :wink:
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #11493 on: 27 June 2021, 16:49 »
When I did the new rear wishbone Deflectors from the MK8 Golf last week I noticed that end ends of the adaptive dampers control valves were looking a little crusty (a quite common problem), so today I wire brushed and sanded them, then gave the ends a coat of hammorite smooth gloss black ( just to keep it at bay a little longer).

Would have been rude not to give the underside and arches a good clean too. Also touched up stone chips on the rear wishbones that were just starting to rust.Here are the painted valve ends. Not overly pretty but should at least make them last a little longer.

2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #11494 on: 27 June 2021, 16:58 »
A very tidy job there! Especially the wheelarch liners. What did you use to clean them?
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #11495 on: 27 June 2021, 18:52 »
Changed the Pollen Filter for a MANN Interior Filter FP 26 009 – FreciousPlus, cabin smells a little fresher which is nice, mainly changed to help with the flowers that like to bully me in summer :wink:

Also went round with Koch Chemie Motorplast and coated the window rubbers and external plastics, leaves them a nice fresher black. Not sure if it will run down the paintwork from the windows seals, but not sure what else I could put on them. It's very good for rubber mats if anyone is after something.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #11496 on: 27 June 2021, 19:22 »
A very tidy job there! Especially the wheelarch liners. What did you use to clean them?

Thanks. Just Surfex HD 1:2 in a foaming bottle liberally sprayed on, worked in with a brush then power washed off. Dead simple really.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #11497 on: 27 June 2021, 20:27 »

Thanks. Just Surfex HD 1:2 in a foaming bottle liberally sprayed on, worked in with a brush then power washed off. Dead simple really.

2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline baka

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11498 on: 28 June 2021, 17:21 »
Got some new insurance quotes:

Standard £290
Remapped £360
Remapped + OEM upgraded Alloys £310

Add mods, save money, lol.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #11499 on: 28 June 2021, 17:48 »
Got some new insurance quotes:

Standard £290
Remapped £360
Remapped + OEM upgraded Alloys £310

Add mods, save money, lol.

That’s just bizarre - assuming all the quotes were from the same insurance company, I wonder what the logic is for Remap + OEM upgrade alloys being £50 cheaper than Remap only?

So if fitting upgraded OEM alloys reduces the premium by £50, if you just go for the upgraded alloys on a standard car without the remap, I wonder if that would reduce the standard premium to £240?  :grin:
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl