Author Topic: Edition 30! how good are they really?????  (Read 24622 times)

Offline dino2

• Not said much yet
Re: Edition 30! how good are they really?????
« Reply #10 on: 16 December 2010, 19:48 »
VW tech good guess
the amount of rough Ed 30,s we see makes us laugh, they tend to all be bought by the same type of folk, u know the ones that used to buy Subaru,s a year or two ago,
that said I am not knocking them, there are better and worse cars around but very few proper clean ED30,s
just as I say don't believe the hype thou

Offline garrardrj

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 16 December 2010, 22:05 »
What car does dino2 own then as he's on a VW Forum?

I've got an Ed30.......last car was a Merc C220cdi , previous to that a BMW 325 , previous to that a Golf TDI , never had a Subaru though......nor would i ever buy one
« Last Edit: 16 December 2010, 22:08 by garrardrj »

Offline AlanEdition30

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 17 December 2010, 10:17 »
If Dino2 works at a main dealer then hes more likely to be exposed to uncared for Edition 30's, as after all if you truly care about your car you wouldnt use a main dealer. Or at least have it cleaned by them... swirl city  :sick:

Of course there are some good main dealers but they are definitely few and far between.  :grin:

Offline dino2

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 17 December 2010, 12:51 »
(If Dino2 works at a main dealer then hes more likely to be exposed to uncared for Edition 30's)

Not true i think, you would find more them in non franchised network as you cant afford the labor rates.
You want to pay more money for a ED 30 which is after all a  de-tuned Audi S3 without 4wd, shonky interior build, and a few extra badges then fine.
My Missus runs a Mk5 GTI so you cant say i'm a hater, sorry.
That said i wouldnt buy one if i didnt work on them.
Just dont make them out to be something there clearly not
(No better or worse than any other hot hatch on sale)  :grin:

Offline AlanEdition30

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 17 December 2010, 15:23 »
It was the K04 turbo that was the edition 30's selling point for me, plus the body coloured bumpers, the reason i didnt go for the S3 was because of the steering feel, which like most newish audi's ive driven is rather vague.

I think its pretty obvious that whatever car you go for second hand there are going to be some fine examples and some complete dogs. There will be rough edition 30's as well as there will be rough S3's kicking about.

The edition 30 is the first car ive owned that i havent got bored with after a year, ive owned it for 3 years now and i have no intention of selling. It all depends what you want from a car, for me the edition 30 is the best complete package for me right now, and for many more years  :grin:

Offline Saint Steve

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 17 December 2010, 18:58 »
It was the K04 turbo that was the edition 30's selling point for me, plus the body coloured bumpers, the reason i didnt go for the S3 was because of the steering feel, which like most newish audi's ive driven is rather vague.

I think its pretty obvious that whatever car you go for second hand there are going to be some fine examples and some complete dogs. There will be rough edition 30's as well as there will be rough S3's kicking about.

The edition 30 is the first car ive owned that i havent got bored with after a year, ive owned it for 3 years now and i have no intention of selling. It all depends what you want from a car, for me the edition 30 is the best complete package for me right now, and for many more years  :grin:

x2

and after the care my car never gets apon having service work done at my local vw dealer, they have so far had to pay for paint repairs, a brand new pescara alloy, which they again scuffed, oh and ragged the feck out of my car on a "Roadtest" whilst in for service work, yes i can see dino why you say most Ed 30's aernt cared for. :angry: :angry: :angry:

for the record, ive had 2 std Mk5 GTi's and my current ed30, my old Mk5's had more rattles then my babys toy box. My Eddy is the best by a mile of  the 3.

....................................And ive Never owned a Subaru :laugh:
« Last Edit: 17 December 2010, 19:01 by Saint Steve »

Offline ttdan

• Not said much yet
« Reply #16 on: 17 December 2010, 20:37 »
Well I have no experience of the regular GTI but it seems a great car all the same. I bought my ED30 only 2 weeks ago and I love it. It's my daily driver after I have now retired my mk2 8v. My other car is a GT3. That's not to brag just to establish that I have a point of reference.

The ED 30 is a really competent car in my experience so far. Yes it has some lag (hopefully sorted with a map of some sort) and the brakes seem to be all intial feel (over servoed?) and a bit lacking when you really need to scrub some speed off. I love lot's of other stuff like 5 doors, xenons, gear change, light clutch, really useable car & superb combo of fun, speed and practicality, stereo's not bad! On the reletively brief chances I have had in the last two weeks to see what grip is available I have been well impressed with the handling too. I also  love the way the steering tightens up as you get some speed piled on. Great car for the money as a used buy. Bit concerned about the mpg tho' although that's probably the newbee ness of the car and the want to plant you foot all the time!

Offline Egbutt Wash

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 18 December 2010, 00:12 »
A 4wd Subaru is much better in this winter weather than any Golf GTI, and often better than heavy tall 4x4s that tend to slide into walls.  Give me a Subaru Outback any day in uk snow.
Currently digging a bunker.

Offline dino2

• Not said much yet
« Reply #18 on: 18 December 2010, 12:50 »
for the record, ive had 2 std Mk5 GTi's and my current ed30, my old Mk5's had more rattles then my babys toy box. My Eddy is the best by a mile of  the 3.

Saint Steve;
let me point this out it's the same car nothing special off the same prodution line, u just got lucky 3rd time of trying l.o.l

You are believing the hype chap ( advertiser's dream) !
Loving the black wheels very nice!

Offline Egbutt Wash

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 20 December 2010, 00:24 »
Dino, these fellows with ED30's that they are keen to sell will always try to rubbish the real GTI.
The fact is the standard car is the best.  Less lag, better looking, less traction control, no silly red cotton.  If I had liked the anniversary model I would have bought it, but I, like most others, went for the class of the GTI.
Currently digging a bunker.