Author Topic: MK5 GTI - Cambelt  (Read 53535 times)

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
MK5 GTI - Cambelt
« on: 07 March 2009, 09:41 »
Just had a letter from VW saying that I need my cambelt changed as my car is 4 years old this month despite the fact that its only on 42k. (a full 18k less than the recommended mileage). Now is there any need to change it after 4 years or am I perfectly safe to wait till I git to big 60k? Im trying to save some money for a Miltek and having to get this changed is going to make a massive dent in that effort.

Iv also been given a voucher thing to get it done for £299 all in.

Offline dan_apps

• I live here
  • too low for british roads!
Re: MK5 GTI - Cambelt
« Reply #1 on: 07 March 2009, 10:02 »
Just had a letter from VW saying that I need my cambelt changed as my car is 4 years old this month despite the fact that its only on 42k. (a full 18k less than the recommended mileage). Now is there any need to change it after 4 years or am I perfectly safe to wait till I git to big 60k? Im trying to save some money for a Miltek and having to get this changed is going to make a massive dent in that effort.

Iv also been given a voucher thing to get it done for £299 all in.

sounds strange to me mate, seems like they just want to get some more business in, if it needs to be done at 60k do it then!

Offline dubcruiser

• I live here
  • Audi A3 SB S-Line 2.0T Quattro 2007
« Reply #2 on: 07 March 2009, 10:09 »
The recommended change of cambelts is 4 years old OR max of 60k miles if covered in under 4 years. If I were you I would get it changed! If it goes then it will cost more than £300!!! It also looks good when you come to sell the car as the belt was done at the right interval  :wink:
Scott

Golf GTi 180bhp 6 Speed 2003, Tornado Red, Electric Sunroof, Climatronic, Winter Pack, Black Leather, Santa Monica Alloys, Centre Arm Rest, 6 Disc Changer, R-Tech Remap (Now Sold)
Audi A3 Sportback S-Line 2.0T Quattro 2007, Lava Grey, Exclusive Line Black/Silver Leather, Heated Seats, Bose, RNS-e, Auto Lights, Auto Wipers, iPod Prep, Interior Light Pack

Offline winrya

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 07 March 2009, 10:21 »
it funny the owners manual states 120k or 7 years???

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
« Reply #4 on: 07 March 2009, 10:24 »
What the crack with getting the water pump changed aswell? I believe its recommended that it be done at the same time? VW have not mentioned the changing of the water pump in this letter.

You sure your reading the right manual?  :laugh:

Offline dubcruiser

• I live here
  • Audi A3 SB S-Line 2.0T Quattro 2007
« Reply #5 on: 07 March 2009, 10:25 »
That is a Mk4 related thing, not sure if it is required on the Mk5...
Scott

Golf GTi 180bhp 6 Speed 2003, Tornado Red, Electric Sunroof, Climatronic, Winter Pack, Black Leather, Santa Monica Alloys, Centre Arm Rest, 6 Disc Changer, R-Tech Remap (Now Sold)
Audi A3 Sportback S-Line 2.0T Quattro 2007, Lava Grey, Exclusive Line Black/Silver Leather, Heated Seats, Bose, RNS-e, Auto Lights, Auto Wipers, iPod Prep, Interior Light Pack

Offline winrya

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 07 March 2009, 10:48 »
What the crack with getting the water pump changed aswell? I believe its recommended that it be done at the same time? VW have not mentioned the changing of the water pump in this letter.

You sure your reading the right manual?  :laugh:

Having a read through the VW service booklet and..

dust and pollen filter at 40,000 miles or 2 years
spark plugs at 60,000 miles/4 years
Every 180,000km/120,000 miles camshaft drive belt changed 2.0 fsi and tfsi only
and a real shocker air filter every 6 years or 60,000 miles
Brake fluid every 2 years
Every 40,000 miles dsg oil and oil filter change

Offline bacillus

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 07 March 2009, 11:07 »

The water pump tend to fail just after your belt change hence the recommendation.

TT mentioned the reasons why you should do it in a posting he made in the last couple of weeks.
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline ravydav

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 07 March 2009, 12:45 »
VW have changed the interval to 4 years and 40k due to premature failure of the diesel timing belts. Petrol belts are much more reliable but all cars were included on this new schedule. On service tick sheets petrol engines were just to be inspected at 60k and if looked like need changed they were.

As for the water pump, rather pay £40 extra now than to have the cost of an engine rebuild due to pump failure.

Offline TomB

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 07 March 2009, 15:24 »
My cars on 53k and I'm going to do it ASAP.

I don't care that VW thinks it can last 120k, I'm not taking the risk.  ABFs were known to kill belts in 40k. 

I would also change the water pump while its all apart, if it ever fails you have to take the cam belt off again.
Tom
MK5 Golf GTI in Tornado Red