Author Topic: Greetings from the Midlands  (Read 1156 times)

Offline Bluto

• GTI forum regular
Greetings from the Midlands
« on: 09 May 2021, 20:52 »
Hi All:

Decided that after stealthing these forums for a good few years now I should finally get round to registering an account.  Always had Volkswagen, my car history involves a few Polos and Golfs  :whistle::

• Mk2 Polo CL Formel E 1.1L (Red)
  • Mk2 Golf Driver 1.8 (Black)
  • Mk4 Golf GTI 1.8T (Green)
  • Mk3 Polo 1.4L (White)
  • Mk3 Polo 1.4L (Red))

Currently in a white 2009 Mk6 manual GTI that I bought back in 2013 with 25k miles on the clock.

Options: DCC, Dynaudio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, reversing camera with front & rear sensors, Cruise Control

Been my daily driver ever since and she's just ticked over 170k miles.  Been a few ups and downs such is the joy of Volkswagen ownership  :grin:.  A couple of decokes of the engine, tensioner popped at 108k miles meaning new cylinder head (though VW eventually picked up the repair tab - I'd been asking about it every service since 40k). Last year the turbo went.  But despite the rinsing of my wallet of late, she always puts a smile on my face.

Mod wise, mine are more cosmetic/infotainment than performance. Upgraded to OEM Dark Cherry rear LED lights with a BCM upgrade.  Replaced the GPS-only sharkfin with a DAB/GPS/FM one and upgraded the RNS 510 sat nav to a Pioneer AVIC-Z930DAB headunit.  2-channel Blackvue dashcam hardwired in.

Her summer flip flops are Goodyear F1 Assymetric 5 on 18" Monza Shadows.  Though after two diamond cut refurbs during my ownship to date, I decided I'd had enough of the wheel paranoia and got the Monza Shadows painted.  Whilst in the process saying I'm never getting diamond cut alloys again!  :grin:  BBS SR 17" rims with Continental TS 860 tyres are her winter shoes.

Currently deliberating between a Mk8 GTI Clubsport, Edition 45 or a R.  Went for a test drive in Clubsport a few weeks ago and enjoyed the brief 20 minutes I got, most of it my clutch foot and left hand kept reaching for kit that wasn't there! :whistle:  Have a test drive in a Golf R booked for next week.  Dealer asked me if I only buy GTIs on the even Mk numbers?   :smiley:

Reading the forum's Mk8 board is where I've spent most of the last few weeks, though happy to input my experience of Mk6 ownership too.

Cheers

Bluto

Mk8 GTI Clubsport | Pure White | DCC | Black Estorils | HUD | a fair few options

Previous: Mk6 GTI | Candy White | Manual | DCC | Dynaudio | Cruise | Winter Pack | Lux Pack | Rear Camera & F/R Parking Sensors

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: Greetings from the Midlands
« Reply #1 on: 16 May 2021, 09:31 »
Welcome Bluto  :smiley:

It sounds like you’ve enjoyed your mk6 judging by the miles it’s got under its belt!

Good luck in your deliberating which mk8 to get. I don’t think there’s a wrong choice in your shortlist!
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Bluto

• GTI forum regular
Re: Greetings from the Midlands
« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2021, 23:54 »
Thanks for the welcome Exonian. Most kind.  :smiley:

Yes my Mk6 has seen a fair few road miles, and the vast majority have been fun ones so don't regret the purchase whatsoever.  :cool:

As for my next Golf and the Mk8 CS/Ed.45/R deliberation/condundrum that's work in progress. Might get to a decision soon, well if I can actually get to test drive a R.  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: 21 May 2021, 00:00 by Bluto »
Mk8 GTI Clubsport | Pure White | DCC | Black Estorils | HUD | a fair few options

Previous: Mk6 GTI | Candy White | Manual | DCC | Dynaudio | Cruise | Winter Pack | Lux Pack | Rear Camera & F/R Parking Sensors