Author Topic: mk3 GTI Head gasket gone?  (Read 3486 times)

Offline L33

• Not said much yet
mk3 GTI Head gasket gone?
« on: 28 November 2009, 14:00 »
Hi, just a few things really, i noticed today that the my 97 GTI (AGG engine) seemed a little rough running this morning, mis-firing at low rmp and bliping the throttle. then i removed my oli filler cap and saw the dreaded white goo, but only a very small amount, took it for a little drive till it had warmed up, checked the filler cap again and there was alot more white stuff :(. Does this mean the HG has gone? also i noticed even when fully warmed up, there was no pressure at all in the expansion tank :S

any idea's?

thanks

Offline sharki786

• I live here
  • GOT BOOST??
Re: mk3 GTI Head gasket gone?
« Reply #1 on: 29 November 2009, 18:00 »
how long was your journey? if it was less then 5miles then you dont need to worry about that as the breather causes that (i think)! i had that before and then after i took it for a longer drive that cream disapeared. check your spark plugs see if they in decent condition. im not a mechanic but the cream on oil cap is normal.

Hope that helps.

Sharki
*****MK3 Anniversary*****
*****MK4 GTI T*****

Offline gazpowells

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 29 November 2009, 19:27 »
Cream on the oil cap is normal especially with the cold weather, take car for a good run and see how it is then  :smiley:

also the the miss fire at low revs could be damp in the electric so give them a blast with wd40

and do a search for other miss fire problems as their has been many posts before   

Offline Carl MK3 GTI 8V

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 04 December 2009, 16:40 »
going on your explanation i would believe it could be a crack in the gasket leaking the coolant into your oil. particularly because the white goo is present wen the engines warmed up. at low temp its ok because its just condensation causing it but that should go once warm.
Do a compression test on each cylinder if you can that should show up the HG problem.
Also white smoke out of your exhaust is another indicator.
Hopefully its not as can be quite expensive to fix
Carl

Offline Gozza

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 05 December 2009, 10:43 »
A better indication of the headgasket going is to smell the water in the expansion tank and also take out the dip stick. If that has gunk on it at the bottom then you can be certain its HG  :undecided:

Guy on my forum has a similar issue

Offline h8v

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 05 December 2009, 14:09 »
Does it use any coolant??

Offline boneybradley

• Forum Supporter
  • Serious forum addict
  • Back in a Mk3...
« Reply #6 on: 05 December 2009, 15:34 »
If it doesn't use coolant then i will say your head gasket is fine (and to be sure get a compression test done).. all engines if not warmed properly will get mayo and this will not totally disappear until the oil is flushed and changed (and with the poor 8v breathers they all seem to suffer!)
Moderator of The Dub-Tug Squad!! (What some call the MK3 section!)

Full range of quality parts for your Volkswagen available at Oemandmore.co.uk