Author Topic: Adding fog lights to GTD MK7  (Read 9822 times)

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
Re: Adding fog lights to GTD MK7
« Reply #10 on: 19 April 2015, 19:26 »
Possible but somewhat expensive, few people in Germany have retrofitted them. Someone posted on here what parts are needed, you'll also need someone with VCDS to code it.
http://www.motor-talk.de/forum/vw-golf-vii-7-gti-gtd-nebelscheinwerfer-nachruesten-t5177378.html#post42559092

2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline Cezar13

• Just got here
« Reply #11 on: 19 April 2015, 19:45 »
Thank You!! Its all I needed :)

Offline remlapeel

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 19 April 2015, 19:47 »
Well I did not know that. So my R won't have fog light then lol
2015 MK7 Golf R 3 door, DSG, lapiz blue, 19" wheels, winter pack, keyless entry, dynaudio and high beam assist.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 19 April 2015, 19:58 »
Well I did not know that. So my R won't have fog light then lol

I don't think it's any great loss, I prefer the air intakes.  I probably only used my mk6 fogs half a dozen times a year at most, so will be able to struggle by without them on the R  :laugh:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #14 on: 20 April 2015, 07:57 »
I'll tell you what fogs are good for and that is lighting up the edges of unlit country roads.

One of the things I intend to get coded via VCDS is the 'fogs on with high beam' mod.
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Online fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #15 on: 20 April 2015, 08:57 »
R's have never had fogs have they?

Its the thing that makes them look less aggressive at the front end - which depending on your point of view either makes them "stealth" or just "meh" ;-)
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 20 April 2015, 09:49 »
No proper .:R models have ever had front fogs. Mk4 and Mk5 R32, Passat R36, Mk6 and Mk7 Golf R.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 20 April 2015, 11:06 »
R's have never had fogs have they?

Its the thing that makes them look less aggressive at the front end - which depending on your point of view either makes them "stealth" or just "meh" ;-)

I knew the Mk6 R didn't have them, wasn't sure about the R32's but Simon (dubber36) has answered that.

As much as I like the front fogs on the GTI/D's and agree they add to the agressiveness of the front end, I actually prefer the R with just the bigger intakes, no fogs.   I know many don't think the R looks agressive enough at the front end but I like the stealth look and with the back showing more intent, anything too much at the front would make it look over the top.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline dv52

• GTI forum regular
Re: Adding halogen lights
« Reply #18 on: 24 April 2015, 11:09 »
Of course i meant fog lights ;) sorry for bad word choice. And my car is equipped with bi-xenon with lighting pack
Cezar: dobry wieczór. I'm impressed with your English - it's a lot better than my Polish!

Anyhow, I don't believe that it would be that difficult to install front fog lights on your car. Here's what I believe that you should do:

1.  - Wiring
 I've made-up the following wiring diagram for you to think about :

As shown in my diagram, you will need to run the White/Yellow wire from PIN 45 on the Socket B connector and a white wire from PIN 5, also on the Socket B connector to the respective new fittings.

EDIT: To install the two new wires, you will need to buy both the cables themselves and the pins that fit into the "B" socket - which has pins of varying sizes. For the front fog lights, the correct wire diameter is 1.0 mm2, so the pins will need to fit this size. Gold plated pins are not necessary for this application but I believe that the VW part number for a pack of 5 x pins (each attached to a short piece of cable)  is 000 979 150 E - but please have this confirmed by the parts salesman.

2.   - Light switch
Of course you will also need to install a new rotary light switch that has the pull-out knob in the centre section.

VCDS cable
You will need to tell the BCM that you have installed the two wires to the fogs and the new light-switch. This is done with a VCDS cable

3.   - VCDS Coding
Informing the BCM about the new light switch is done via Byte 7 - set Bit 3 as shown in the pic below

4. - VCDS Adaptation
Informing the BCM about the two new wires requires that you do some "Leuchte" programming. Not sure if you know about this, but the Leuchte channel set for the left front fog light is Leuchte12NL LB45 and the right side front fog is Leuchte13NL RB5. There are 19 x adaptation channels in the BCM for each of these two lights, but only 7 channels are used (the rest are not active). The standard set-up for incandescent fog lamps is shown in the picture below, but these settings depend on what the existing settings are on your car.

The Abbiegelicht settings are for the cornering lights and Nebellicht settings are for the actual  fog lights - rechts is German for "right" and links means "left". The setting allgemeine Scheinwerfer is just a general headlight value that is often used for the fog application

The tricky part of this programming is the settings for the two channels in parentheses (2) & (3) (both sides). These are the settings for the fault monitoring functions and they will depend on what's currently written into these channels on your car. The values in these fault monitoring channels are a bit like memory locations- they can only be used once on the car. My table above shows the values for my car, but these values might already be used elsewhere on your car. Alas, I know nothing about how Polish cars have their fault values allocated across the 35 x exterior lights that are managed by the Leuchte channel-sets. So I suggest that you check out these channel settings first.

Finally, you will need to ensure that the following adaptation in the BCM has a value of 15 min:
(8 )-Driving light and parking light-Zeitwert Einschaltzeit Abbiegelicht
It probably will have the correct value, but it's worth checking to make sure!

Powodzenia
Don

« Last Edit: 26 April 2015, 02:54 by dv52 »
103TSI Highline ROW (my13)

Offline GrahamFR

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 24 April 2015, 11:52 »
No proper .:R models have ever had front fogs. Mk4 and Mk5 R32, Passat R36, Mk6 and Mk7 Golf R.

except if youre racing of course  :grin:
2007: Leon PD170
2010: Leon CR170
2013: Golf GTI PP
2016: A45 AMG