Author Topic: Caliper Colours  (Read 12163 times)

Offline Cossieian

• Here all the time
Caliper Colours
« on: 08 April 2015, 19:56 »
Hi guys, just wondered if anyone has painted their calipers, mine are still in the factory Finnish, still look like new tbh but I know this won't last forever :cry:
Any of you any pics of yours painted to give me a few ideas, car is Pure White, I quite like the idea of red but afraid it might look a bit boy racer :rolleyes:

Cheers
Ian
Current: MK7 Golf R (Limestone Grey) DSG, 19 Prets, Winter Pack, Rear Camera, High Beam Assist, Apple Connect, Gloss Black Mirrors
Gone: MK7 Golf R (Tornado Red) DSG, Winter Pack, Keyless, Gloss Black Mirrors
Gone: MK7 Golf GTD (Pure White)

Offline 182_blue

• I live here
Re: Caliper Colours
« Reply #1 on: 08 April 2015, 19:58 »
Unless its a R or a GTi then i would just redo them in OEM colour.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 08 April 2015, 20:19 »
Why? Are R and Gti the only ones allowed painted callipers? Sport and sound gtd's get red painted callipers. Look for a post from sootchucker as he painted his gtd ones himself.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline 182_blue

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 08 April 2015, 20:35 »
Why? Are R and Gti the only ones allowed painted callipers? Sport and sound gtd's get red painted callipers. Look for a post from sootchucker as he painted his gtd ones himself.
Just an opinion, its neither right or wrong, actually i should just have written OEM colour as R's should be black and Gti's should be Red,  either that or just a plain black or silver, if sport and sound GTDs have red then this is OEM and OK as i stated, that said little brakes should not stand out IMO so I still wouldn't do it to a GTD with little brakes.
« Last Edit: 08 April 2015, 21:35 by 182_blue »

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 08 April 2015, 21:38 »
Ahem cough, the dealer did mine before i collected it, and I've since given them a coat of clear high temp lacquer.

I think the red against the black and white work really well. If you want to call me a boy racer at 51 then that's fine with me  :grin:

« Last Edit: 08 April 2015, 21:42 by Sootchucker »
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline wigit

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 08 April 2015, 21:42 »
i think red calipers are an option on GTDs in Germany so in my view red is oem

i'd probably go black

Offline Mark V GTD

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 08 April 2015, 21:57 »
They come painted red if you order 'sport & sound' pack....

Sootchucker - you tearaway!!  :grin:

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 09 April 2015, 06:39 »
Don't the gtd and gti have the same size brakes etc? (Non pp obviously) don't understand 182_blue saying little calipers shouldn't be painted when they are the same size.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 09 April 2015, 07:24 »
Yes identical - 312mm up front and 300mm rear (pp has 340 front and 312 vented rears).

TBH, the reason I had it done is that after owning a few VW's now, I knew that after 12 months or so, the calipers would look discoloured and dirty and with such an open design of alloy wheel, the brakes really are on show. History also showed me that short of painting them with something like hammorite smooth, the discolouring would just get worse over time and would be nearly impossible to clean using normal cleaning techniques.

If VW had actually painted them (even in grey) rather than leaving them in the natural aluminium finish then I'd had probably left well alone, but as it is, with them painted, they come up sparkling and shiny every clean, even after 18 months.

Here's an example of what my previous Scirocco calipers (in natural finish) looked like after just 6 months

As you can see, even after detailing the undercarriage, and scrubbing the calipers and cleaning with bilberry, you can still see where they have started to discolour and the brake dust has eaten into the aluminium leaving dark patches

« Last Edit: 09 April 2015, 07:27 by Sootchucker »
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline 182_blue

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 09 April 2015, 09:25 »
Hi guys, just wondered if anyone has painted their calipers, mine are still in the factory Finnish, still look like new tbh but I know this won't last forever :cry:
Any of you any pics of yours painted to give me a few ideas, car is Pure White, I quite like the idea of red but afraid it might look a bit boy racer :rolleyes:

Cheers
Ian

I will try again,  simply paint them in the OEM colour but use a better paint,  not sure what the OEM colour is for your car (i dont know what car you have) but a nice black would also be acceptable.
« Last Edit: 09 April 2015, 09:30 by 182_blue »