Author Topic: Time to sell the car  (Read 9595 times)

Offline Vedubber

• Not said much yet
Re: Time to sell the car
« Reply #10 on: 29 March 2015, 22:04 »
For this exact reason I have a £300 run around that I use for shopping trips and car park related stuff.

I don't trust any one these days. So many people do not give a flying duck about other people's property.
MY13 Polo GTI - MY14.5 Golf GTI PP - Now MY15 VW Up!

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 29 March 2015, 22:20 »
For this exact reason I have a £300 run around that I use for shopping trips and car park related stuff.

I was the same for a couple of years. It was great but I also found myself still parking out of the way  :rolleyes: I got myself a Skoda estate for £350 from Gumtree, kept it for a couple of years then sold it for £150ish.

As for the Golf, I just refuse to go into car parks and only park nose to tail and when I follow my football team every week I need to wait until both cars have parked in front and behind before I leave the car!!

My kids think I'm a weirdo and they are probably right  :laugh: Although the 3 of them now have their own cars and they do pretty much the same as me but they will take more risks  :grin:

I'd get another run about for this very reason if it wasn't for the fact we already have 5 cars and turned the front garden in to off street parking and the neighbours think its Steptoe & Sons yard  :rolleyes:
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #12 on: 30 March 2015, 07:57 »
You just have to accept that any car is not going to remain perfect.

Whilst having a stone chip, dink or a dent knocks the sugar off your pudding, that's life.

Either you curse and swear, maybe repair or well, there isn't really an "or".

I'm not saying its not annoying, but once you have one or two minor blemishes, you get less cross as the others inevitably mount up. I was spitting fur a few weeks after I got my GTD and realised that the white thing on my bonnet wasn't bird poo but a large stone chip... but its still there, along with half a dozen others now.

I guess you could buy a 35k car and get one of those garage storage bubble things, leave it in that and never take it out unless you are polishing it, but really, just buy one of those ornaments and keep it on your mantelpiece - its far cheaper than a car. I'd probably choose something more exotic than a Golf though if I wanted a collectors piece.

Your car isn't an investment piece (well, not unless maybe you can keep it for 100 years), a car is just a depreciating money pit.

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 30 March 2015, 07:57 »
I always park in two bays in the furthest corner in supermarkets and I couldn't give a s4it what others think. It's my car and it's expensive so I'll do what I want with it.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline david25

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 30 March 2015, 08:29 »
Get one of those cheap leases, for the £4000 you plan to lose.

Instead get one of those Up! deals for £60 per month (plus £1000 deposit).

Last month, you could have got a Tiguan (for the wife) for only £120 inc deposit.
Now = 2011 MK6 GTI - Reflex Silver
Past = 2006 MK5 GTI - Tornado Red and Solid Black

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #15 on: 30 March 2015, 08:43 »
Remember of course, just because its not your car on a lease, doesn't mean that you don't have to get the dents and scrapes removed before it goes back...

My top tip - never let the lease company charge you for the damage, get it fixed yourself before it goes back - even if it means taking 3 years of minor damage and fixing it all with one bill. It will definitely be less than what the lease company want to sting you for!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Mark V GTD

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 30 March 2015, 08:58 »
And be aware of what is actually acceptable damage - you will be surprised!

Offline david25

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 30 March 2015, 09:09 »
Sure, just work out the estimates costs, the Up will cost £2500 over two years (plus damage repairs at the end) versus your planned loss.
Now = 2011 MK6 GTI - Reflex Silver
Past = 2006 MK5 GTI - Tornado Red and Solid Black

Offline TurboTrev

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 30 March 2015, 09:34 »
Instead get one of those Up! deals for £60 per month (plus £1000 deposit).
Where is that deal?

Offline Mark V GTD

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 30 March 2015, 10:01 »