Author Topic: Silk Blue  (Read 12484 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Silk Blue
« on: 29 March 2015, 14:01 »
Silk Blue, I often see a tidy local Polo GT in Silk Blue and it's also available on the Polo GTI now.

I'd love this colour on a Golf GTI and I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks the fifty shades of dull we have on offer in the UK is somewhat lacking in choice for the GTI models and even worse on the R where there is no Carbon Grey or Tungsten Silver (the R Lapz blue either looks really dull or absolutely fantastic depending on the light with no in between)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWsSqAHw_LY

I'd have loved a colour like Silk Blue to have been available to order on my GTI.
The Leon Cupra comes in a nice blue, the Octavia vRS comes in a very nice blue but the colour choice for the Golf just leaves me feeling blue. (OK I do really like the white but... )

In fact seeing as my GTI is sat outside 24/7 getting sandblasted from the building site right opposite me I'm half considering changing it to a Polo GTI anyway - my garage has an opening of 2030mm and the GTI is 2027mm wide so there's no way it's going in there without a huge drama and I'm sure what the Polo lacked in the handling department it would make up for in the fun stakes.

Edit: Balls, the youtube embed didn't work  :angry:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
Re: Silk Blue
« Reply #1 on: 29 March 2015, 14:50 »
Silk Blue, I often see a tidy local Polo GT in Silk Blue and it's also available on the Polo GTI now.

I'd love this colour on a Golf GTI and I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks the fifty shades of dull we have on offer in the UK is somewhat lacking in choice for the GTI models and even worse on the R where there is no Carbon Grey or Tungsten Silver (the R Lapz blue either looks really dull or absolutely fantastic depending on the light with no in between)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWsSqAHw_LY

I'd have loved a colour like Silk Blue to have been available to order on my GTI.
The Leon Cupra comes in a nice blue, the Octavia vRS comes in a very nice blue but the colour choice for the Golf just leaves me feeling blue. (OK I do really like the white but... )

In fact seeing as my GTI is sat outside 24/7 getting sandblasted from the building site right opposite me I'm half considering changing it to a Polo GTI anyway - my garage has an opening of 2030mm and the GTI is 2027mm wide so there's no way it's going in there without a huge drama and I'm sure what the Polo lacked in the handling department it would make up for in the fun stakes.
Edit: Balls, the youtube embed didn't work  :angry:

Yes, the available colour palette for the R/GTI/GTD is pretty depressing. Thus, one is directed towards three colours (in fact two if one is being pedantic).

So order your performance Golf as a Red Post Box, a White Fridge (White Goods) or a Black Hearse (these are mostly Black but some are Dark Blue). Simples. :rolleyes:

Lapiz Blue is odd and a bit Tarty, Carbon Grey is ever so boring, Night Blue is neither here nor there, Limestone Grey is Boring Beige in most lights, Oryx White is so Toyota Prius or a tarted Fridge, Reflex Silver is being safe and possibly sorry, etc, etc ......

Oh well, just my contentious opinion and ETTO. :smiley:
« Last Edit: 29 March 2015, 15:24 by am1w »
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 29 March 2015, 15:21 »
Have that on the wife's Blue GT and it's a stunning colour. I would love that on the Golf.

Here's one of the wife's Polo in Blue Silk

2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 29 March 2015, 15:26 »
Have that on the wife's Blue GT and it's a stunning colour. I would love that on the Golf.
Here's one of the wife's Polo in Blue Silk

I concur. Truly stunning. Love it to bits. Very similar to Estoril Blue II which I had on my dearly departed BMW.

Another colour I really like is Carmen Red (Metallic) which is available on other lower specced Golfs but not the R/GTI/GTD.

Yes, I do tend to gravitate towards Red
« Last Edit: 29 March 2015, 15:30 by am1w »

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 29 March 2015, 15:47 »
Always Regal Red for you Asker.

That looks really nice indeed Andrew, and xenons too! Nice spec.
How does it compare on fuel use to the GTD? Just out of curiosity. I doubt it gets driven hard though!

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 29 March 2015, 16:07 »
That blue is a beautiful colour indeed, but I'm not sure about it on a golf GTI/GTD/R.  To me it very much looks a Polo colour and I mean that in a good way  :smiley:

I agree about the small pool of colours available for the performance golfs, but perhaps that's not a bad thing, it makes more recognisable in a way, maybe add one or two more exclusive colours and leave all the other myriad colours for the lesser golfs  :huh:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 29 March 2015, 16:17 »
Always Regal Red for you Asker.

Andy me old fruit.
Are you calling me a Queen? Or is it a case of one Queen recognising another?
 :laugh:

Offline TurboTrev

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 29 March 2015, 19:33 »
Can't agree with the view that lapis looks dark and dull unless the sun is shining on it, imho it looks great all the time. :cool:  I do, however, agree that silk blue looks great on the Polo GT, but I don't think it would work as well on an R/GTI/GTD. 

Here's my wife's GT, which will be for sale shortly if anyone is interested!

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 29 March 2015, 19:52 »

That looks really nice indeed Andrew, and xenons too! Nice spec.
How does it compare on fuel use to the GTD? Just out of curiosity. I doubt it gets driven hard though!

Not a million miles off the GTD to be honest. Around 40-45mpg to and from her work, and on a good motorway run, around the 50-55mpg mark. And yes, it does get driven quite hard - she is a girl after all  :evil: :evil:
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Golf-Ball

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 29 March 2015, 21:55 »
Not quite sure how anyone can describe 'Lapiz Blue' as 'odd'. It's just a shade of blue. It's also by far and away the most popular colour for the R.

Silk Blue is nice but it looks a bit 'Match' to me.

Silver all the way as far as I'm concerned: